Another Cheap Android TV Option: onn. from Wal-Mart
Wal-Mart is readying a new $29.88 box, which looks similar to the last cheap box, Dynalink, that used to be about the same price (now $10 more). But, could be different performers; don't know which SoC in the new one.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2021-05-14, 22:21)hdmkv Wrote: Wal-Mart is readying a new $29.88 box, which looks similar to the last cheap box, Dynalink, that used to be about the same price (now $10 more). But, could be different performers; don't know which SoC in the new one.

same SoC as the dynalink and ADT-3 - Amlogic S905Y2 and made by the same company - Askey Computer Corp (ASUSTeK)
Ah, thanks. Still, a cheap option for Android TV.
Hands-on by AFTVNews with video.
Hardware deinterlacing , mpeg2 not looking as good as Google 4k or the AirTV
Performance is much like the Tivo stick and the FireTV4k

The AirTv mini 4k and the Google Stick are the best low costs devices to use with Kodi.
I bought it to try it out since it was so cheap and it works perfectly with Kodi. It updated itself as soon as I set it up. I would definitely recommend it.

(2021-05-29, 07:45)foghorn2 Wrote: Hardware deinterlacing , mpeg2 not looking as good as Google 4k or the AirTV
Performance is much like the Tivo stick and the FireTV4k

The AirTv mini 4k and the Google Stick are the best low costs devices to use with Kodi.

What's specifically the issue with its deinterlacing? Is it still properly deinterlacing, like a FireTV Stick 4K?
I'm testing one of these with Kodi right now, and it looks like one issue when playing transport streams with some missing frame data (NextPVR recordings), it will drop *entire* frames, rather than trying to render partial frames. This causes the appearance of frozen frames during playback, rather than just pixelation.
One drawback with the Google G10 reference remote for use with Kodi is it doesn't have a dedicated play/pause button -- but you can re-map one of the other buttons for this.
I bought one recently and am pretty happy with it. I am no using it for Kodi as I have a coreelec device for that. But for streaming apps and emby so far I am pleasantly surprised for $20.
Is the remote good? Does it work with Windows? $20 is a reasonable price for a good remote, so...
I find the remote feels cheap and the DPAD centre button is recessed which I find annoying.  I'd opt for the TiVO 4k when is on sale for $30. It has a much nicer remote especially if you use PVR since it has number keys.  It pairs with other BT Android devices so it has staying power.

Martin
(2022-05-27, 18:16)Luke M Wrote: Is the remote good? Does it work with Windows? $20 is a reasonable price for a good remote, so...
It's Google's G10 reference remote. I prefer the Fire TV Stick remote, which has a dedicated play/pause button.
No play/pause is dumb, but more common it seems, I'm still annoyed they took away the stop button on remotes.
(2022-06-02, 20:56)lightsout Wrote: No play/pause is dumb, but more common it seems, I'm still annoyed they took away the stop button on remotes.
lol, it's really not dumb, because, in most apps, it saves you a button press every time you want to pause, and, as a bonus, it doesn't cover the paused video with the GUI overlay, depending on the app.

The stop button? I guess it could be useful in Kodi when you're wanting to explicitly save your spot in one video and go to a different video?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another Cheap Android TV Option: onn. from Wal-Mart0