Android Argus TV PVR Add-on crashing kodi (v19)
My android set-top box doesn't have a built-in DVB-T tuner but I have Argus TV on my PC so I assumed it would be a simple case of using the Argus TV PVR add-on since I use it on my PC install of Kodi with no problems.
On the Android box, after installing and configuring the add-on, it tells you to restart kodi. When Kodi starts up it gets to the home screen for a brief moment but then kodi just closes for no apparent reason (have you devs never heard of error messages?!). This crash appears to be happening at the point where the pvr starts up and loads the channel list and epg from the argus server.
The only way out of this is to delete all the app data and restart kodi, thus losing ALL your plugins AND their settings so thanks for that one you devs - it only took me four hours to put it all back!
Is this a known issue with the android version of kodi and is it likely to be fixed any time soon?
a) so maybe learn to backup... it's just not that hard - either just plug in your thing as a USB device if you can, and copy the folder, or use one of the addons...
b) not happening here on my Mi Pad 4 with Argus (Android - Lineage OS 18.1) - but Android and set top boxes is a bit of an unholy mess so there are LOTS of variables
c) crashes are unexpected total failures, and often it's hard to grab an error.  That said...no debug logs supplied....so....there might well even be an error in there, or at least clues in that...
d) ...thus, perhaps learn to report an issue properly (and maybe without all the sarcasm) - if you genuinely want some help!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2021-05-16, 14:03)kevwag Wrote: (have you devs never heard of error messages?!)
Sorry, but if a program has an unexpected total failure, how is it supposed to still hand out error messages? You're stating yourself: "often it's hard to grab an error".

(2021-05-16, 14:03)kevwag Wrote: it only took me four hours to put it all back!
Restoring a proper backup can done in minutes. Backups are life- and timesavers.

(2021-05-16, 14:03)kevwag Wrote: My android set-top box
No debug logs, no tech details whatsoever from probably the cheapest chinese android box, therefore nothing to investigate.
(2021-05-17, 00:39)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 14:03)kevwag Wrote: (have you devs never heard of error messages?!)
Sorry, but if a program has an unexpected total failure, how is it supposed to still hand out error messages? You're stating yourself: "often it's hard to grab an error".
(2021-05-16, 14:03)kevwag Wrote: it only took me four hours to put it all back!
Restoring a proper backup can done in minutes. Backups are life- and timesavers.
(2021-05-16, 14:03)kevwag Wrote: My android set-top box
No debug logs, no tech details whatsoever from probably the cheapest chinese android box, therefore nothing to investigate.
I never said it's often hard to grab an error, that was someone else. I actually disagree with that statement. Kodi also crashes quite a bit on my Windows PC too, which is neither cheap nor Chinese and it NEVER throws up an error message to say why it crashed, it just vanishes. Literally every other Windows program where I've experienced a crash has thrown some kind of error message on its way out, even if said message didn't contain much useful info.

As for backups, I DO backup regularly on my PC and I would have done so on the android box too once I'd finished setting everything up. I guess I was unlucky in the fact that I left the Argus TV add-on till last and that was the bit that broke it. I kinda assumed that the stuff in the official kodi repo was safe and if anything was going to go wrong it would have been something from a third-party repo.

I couldn't post a debug log because I couldn't get back into kodi without deleting everything and starting from scratch. I'll try and do this tomorrow when I have the time - unfortunately the crappy remote that comes with the android box makes everything take far longer than it should, especially inputting stuff like network addresses, usernames and passwords. I'll have to dig out a usb keyboard and mouse then maybe things will be a bit easier.

I apologise if I offended anyone with my choice of words, I was spitting fire at the time after wasting several frustrating hours setting things up, only to then have to delete it all. In future I'll try and wait until my anger subsides before I post!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Argus TV PVR Add-on crashing kodi (v19)0