Solved computer freezing
Hi all,

This is a pretty odd issue so I'll try to be as brief as possible.

I upgraded to Kodi 19 without any issues and it's been running fine until last week sometime. Now when I turn my a/v system on Kodi has frozen the entire computer (which is normally rock stable)--- I can't use hotkeys to bring up task manager or anything. I have to force the power off and reboot which is of course not really ideal in the long run on Windows. I use a Harmony Ultimate remote and all it actually does is turn on my Samsung TV, my Sony receiver, and set inputs appropriately for my htpc. It also has my FLIRC in the startup and shutdown sequences, but that's a dummy device so I can send keystrokes easily and the Harmony software won't let you delete core devices. The thing is, the htpc never shuts off or sleeps (it runs 24/7) so there are no commands being sent to it when I turn the system on or off. If I close Kodi and return to the desktop before using my remote to turn everything off, when I turn it back on it's perfectly fine and I can start Kodi up normally. The system freeze only happens when I have Kodi running when I turn the system off.

I did update to 19.1 and thinking that could be the issue I tried downgrading to 19.0 but the issue has persisted. I've been checking the Kodi forums for crashes or similar issues so I disabled the version check addon and disabled the web interface tab on another computer in the house. Still no luck. I haven't done a debug log yet just in case anyone has experienced this issue, but I plan to run one tonight.

Quick computer specs:
Ryzen 5900x
32gb RAM
RTX 2080 ti gpu
1tb Samsung 980 Pro SSD for system drive
Windows 10 Pro 21h1

Suggestions are welcome!
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
(2021-05-25, 22:46)snarfo Wrote: The system freeze only happens when I have Kodi running when I turn the system off.
So you're losing handshaking on TV/AVR when you shut them down/exit, Kodi defaults to local display and audio if handshaking has failed and Kodi freezes then next start it's an issue, if I got that right? , and it's in that scenario that the debug log might have some relevance.
I've never done the log file upload thing so apologies in advance if this is janky.

https://paste.kodi.tv/hedijozaye

Other things I've tried are:

Setting the Harmony remote to never turn off the receiver (as I thought it might be handshake breaking causing the issue, but no)

Creating a FLIRC command to close Kodi before turning off the tv and receiver (setting ALT+F4 to the red button on the Harmony remote), but it doesn't close Kodi. Oddly enough if I press the red button on the remote it does send the ALT+F4 close command and works as you'd expect... it's just not getting triggered in the Harmony shutdown macro for some reason. Likewise, I set the blue Harmony button to start Kodi (with the command CTRL+ALT+K) which works fine to start Kodi from Windows, but of course I get the system freeze before it can be executed by the Harmony startup macro if the system is turned off. I thought a clever workaround would be to just exit Kodi, turn the tv and receiver off when I power off the system and then start Kodi when I turn the system back on, but alas... no joy.

Thinking back over the last week I haven't installed any new apps other than updating Kodi to 19.1 and installing a Windows update for 21h1 that was pushed out last week.
This may be related https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3039345
Thanks, I'll give that a try as soon as the build is available (I'm only seeing the 0523 build right now, not the 0525 build) and see how it goes. If that's to fix SMB issues though I don't think it will relate to my issue--- while I do have SMB shares for my media (so I can access it from other computers in the house), all my media is located locally on my htpc so Kodi shouldn't have to access it over a SMB share. I do back up my media to a NAS, but again that's external to Kodi. I'll let you know though and thanks for the help.
Annnnnd I just realized I should probably post the old logfile since that's where it presumably hangs. Derp.

https://paste.kodi.tv/umaxipuges
(2021-05-26, 01:27)PatK Wrote: This may be related https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3039345

I tried the updated build and it had no effect for me unfortunately. Still freezing the system when I turn the tv and receiver on.
This issue is a bit involved, noting in the log the last function is "loguploader: script started" so I don't see the crash. I do note quite few scripts and add-ons I'm unfamiliar with and given my concise characteristic, simple is best. Lets check if this problem is something that manifests in a simple portable vanilla installation. If everything is jake, then the issue is the 'extras', oth: if you get the same response, then it would be an issue with this hardware (note: I don't have this issue).
Can you try without the Mayflash Wiimote PC Adapter connected or a joystick controller disabled?  There are lots of unexpected joystick errors in your logs.

Martin
(2021-05-27, 02:09)emveepee Wrote: Can you try without the Mayflash Wiimote PC Adapter connected or a joystick controller disabled?  There are lots of unexpected joystick errors in your logs.

Martin

Yeah, I had seen all those log errors and unplugged it (and all my other controllers and controller interfaces) but no dice. However, I'm cautiously optimistic I have it puzzled out...
(2021-05-27, 01:14)PatK Wrote: This issue is a bit involved, noting in the log the last function is "loguploader: script started" so I don't see the crash. I do note quite few scripts and add-ons I'm unfamiliar with and given my concise characteristic, simple is best. Lets check if this problem is something that manifests in a simple portable vanilla installation. If everything is jake, then the issue is the 'extras', oth: if you get the same response, then it would be an issue with this hardware (note: I don't have this issue).

Thanks for the suggestion, PatK. It turns out that everything worked fine in a fresh portable installation so I started adding and configuring the addons I use and pausing between each step to exit and resume Kodi to make sure it worked. I think I may have it figured out, though it seems super weird--- at the risk of speaking too soon (I've turned everything off and back on successfully 4 times now both in the portable Kodi installation and my original Kodi installation) it seems that it's related to the skin I use.

I use Amber (which I absolutely love) and it seems that in the background image settings if I turn the Ken Burns effect on (which makes the wallpaper pan around) Kodi will freeze my computer every time I turn the tv and receiver on. Since turning it off and successfully cycling the system powerup numerous times I guess I'll call it solved for now? I'll put a post in the Amber forum and link to this thread. I'm sure I manually updated Amber a few times recently (downloaded directly from the git site) so maybe the dev can puzzle it out. It seems so bizarre though.
I'll take the first opportunity to mark this solved Smile I suspect the ken burns effect is eating up a lot of your graphic engine, bet the fix is more gfx memory and faster blitter. Thanks for taking this to the point of discovery, I'm sure it will help others.

Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
computer freezing0