Kodi 19.1 Video Playback Problems
Hi,

I'm coming from Kodi 17.6 with DSPlayer and madVR. Everything running smooth... but no future development (still Kodi 17.6)
Now testing Kodi 19.1, but the Videoplayback is not stutter-free with the internal Videoplayer.
Autoframerate-Switch is enabled (On Start/Stop) and working (correct Hz).
Rendermethod is "Pixelshader" and Kodi Fullscreen-Window enabled ... with "Auto" or "DXVA" or Kodi-Fullscreen-Window disabled -> only Blackscreen with 4KHDR Content (Audio normal)
HW-Decoder enabled. HDR/SDR Switch working.
With External-Player (MPC-HC with madVR) enabled with Kodi 19.1 -> everything running smooth again.
Kodi is running  on Windows 10 20H2 with a NVidia Geforce 1030 (2GB VRAM).

Is there any Solution running Kodi 19.1 without External Player (Stutter-free) ?
(2021-05-27, 14:42)lSi123 Wrote: Hi,

I'm coming from Kodi 17.6 with DSPlayer and madVR. Everything running smooth... but no future development (still Kodi 17.6)
Now testing Kodi 19.1, but the Videoplayback is not stutter-free with the internal Videoplayer.
Autoframerate-Switch is enabled (On Start/Stop) and working (correct Hz).
Rendermethod is "Pixelshader" and Kodi Fullscreen-Window enabled ... with "Auto" or "DXVA" or Kodi-Fullscreen-Window disabled -> only Blackscreen with 4KHDR Content (Audio normal)
HW-Decoder enabled. HDR/SDR Switch working.
With External-Player (MPC-HC with madVR) enabled with Kodi 19.1 -> everything running smooth again.
Kodi is running  on Windows 10 20H2 with a NVidia Geforce 1030 (2GB VRAM).

Is there any Solution running Kodi 19.1 without External Player (Stutter-free) ?
Can you replicate the issues after turning on debug mode please?
Then kindly paste debug log at paste.kodi.tv
Thx
https://paste.kodi.tv/nibipuripe.kodi

.... Playing 4K-HDR-File ... after some stuttering -> stop playing -> close Kodi (Debug Log enabled)
I have a suspect in mind, but I would like you to try this first. - Fullscreen not windowed.. default skin, deselect 'extract thumbnails from videos', local video (not networked), in the player refresh & syc off, render method DXVA and allow DXVA2 accel and let's see how that works.
(2021-05-28, 01:46)PatK Wrote: I have a suspect in mind, but I would like you to try this first. - Fullscreen not windowed.. default skin, deselect 'extract thumbnails from videos', local video (not networked), in the player refresh & syc off, render method DXVA and allow DXVA2 accel and let's see how that works.
Fullscreen Enable -> Blackscreen with 4K-HDR Content
default skin -> no difference
Player Refresh&Syc is "Off"
Rendermethod DXVA -> Blackscreen with 4K-HDR Content
DXVA2 Acc. is enabled
local video -> no difference
Testing and Reading alot ... Problems with old NVidia-Cards and Stuttering with new Kodi solved... but for me its not (nothing helps really). And its not only 4K-Content with Problems. Nothing is running smooth with the internal Videoplayer and Kodi 19.1. And it looks like this ... some seconds everything running smooth ... then some frames skipping ... some more seconds smooth and so on.
I think most people didnt see this ... but i am extreme sensetive for this.

Only Solution for now -> External Player -> smooth playback
(2021-05-28, 10:24)lSi123 Wrote: Nothing is running smooth with the internal Videoplayer
It was an outside chance that the issue was related to some settings, network, skin or background tasks. Looking at your log there is a lot going on and suggest we prove out your hardware with a plain vanilla portable installation (no add-ons, scripts or extras) from a single local source and default skin. Should this works as expected, then the cause is likely to be one of the added inclusions in your permanent installation and loading up each individual 'add-ons, scripts or extras' and checking its veracity should disclose the problem in the log.
Testing with "Player Debug Info" .... Video-Queue always 99% .... frame drop and skip counter not changing while playback ... but i can see the stuttering ... cpu-usage 10-20% while playback

.... back to External Player for now.
(2021-05-29, 17:34)lSi123 Wrote: .... back to External Player for now.
Whatever, works for me.

If you do want to resolve this issue, follow up on my suggestion for a Portable mode (wiki) installation in post #7
@lSi123

You use hardware that we know for sure supports HDR10 and it works fine with Kodi (GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5). So it is very easy to solve your problem:

1) NVIDIA clean driver install with default settings (https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/conne.../000063728)
2) Kodi clean install and apply recommended settings for 4K and HDR playback (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349861)

Works for sure because hundreds of people use it.

3) Once it works you can start customizing settings or installing add-ons...
@jogal 

I read alot in your thread before... but nothing helps ...

Tested:

1. nVidia clean Driver install with default Settings
2. Kodi with recommended Settings
3. Kodi with alternative Settings
4. deactive all additional Addons
5. use default Skin
6. Set nVidia Powermode to "Maximum Performance", to "Adaptive"
7. Set nVidia Vsync to "Fast", to "On"
8. play Video local

... nothing helps ... only the "Portable Mode" not tested yet, but i think its the same with deactived Addons and Default skin
So your graphics card is not GDDR5 model or it is broken.

Note that to play 4K with DXVA2, 3 GB of graphics memory is required. This card is not optimal because it only has 2 GB.

One GB has to be used of shared RAM. The RAM memory must be fast (dual channel) to be able to do this without problems. Other people have reported that it works fine but it depends on many variables and this setup is still not optimal for 4K.

INFO <general>: DXVA::CDecoder::Open: Total video memory available is 6046 MB (dedicated = 1982 MB, shared = 4064 MB)
(2021-05-30, 10:42)jogal Wrote: So your graphics card is not GDDR5 model or it is broken.

Note that to play 4K with DXVA2, 3 GB of graphics memory is required. This card is not optimal because it only has 2 GB.

One GB has to be used of shared RAM. The RAM memory must be fast (dual channel) to be able to do this without problems. Other people have reported that it works fine but it depends on many variables and this setup is still not optimal for 4K.

INFO <general>: DXVA::CDecoder::Open: Total video memory available is 6046 MB (dedicated = 1982 MB, shared = 4064 MB)
Its the GDDR5 Model. One Info ...the old Mainboard have only a PCIe 2.0 Port not 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0 ... so the Bandwith is limited ... but if the Bandwith is the problem, why is the video-queue always 99%, skip and drop counter not rising (Player Debug Info)
Yes its only 2GB VRAM .... and yes Rendermethod DXVA not working (Blackscreen) in 4K-HDR (Pixelshader works)

But why an external Player works under this conditions in 4K-HDR (mpc-hc with LAV-Filters and madVR) ?
(2021-05-28, 10:24)lSi123 Wrote: And it looks like this ... some seconds everything running smooth ... then some frames skipping ... some more seconds smooth and so on.
I think most people didnt see this ... but i am extreme sensetive for this.
Why would someone who is "extreme sensetive" want to use a graphics card that does not have enough memory to keep all decoding surfaces loaded in memory at same time?
(2021-05-30, 11:25)lSi123 Wrote: old Mainboard have only a PCIe 2.0 Port

This may well be the reason. Other people use this card but with PCIe 3.0 and dual channel DDR4 RAM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19.1 Video Playback Problems0