Is there anyway to use kodi and its add-ons to stream video to a nonlocal client?
I am trying to figure out if Kodi along with its add-ons (Docker), is capable of setting up a streaming service to nonlocal device (EG: While Im out of the house, If I want to watch something stored on my Libreelec Kodi setup. Just connect to an address enter a login and watch it remotely)

Can this be done using libreelec and kodi addons?
Not really with addons per-se, but it's possible to do if your internet connection is up to it (at both ends).

Simplest way is to install a VPN server at home and connect to it from remotely, and then use the device as normal.

That's not something we actively support here due to the "other" uses for VPN (hence our VPN Policy (wiki)), but dialing home to use locally stored media on your own network is one of the acceptable uses for them. There is an addon in LE for setting up a client, but it is not supported here. See the thread on the LE forums for it (Zomboided's addon).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-06-02, 09:11)DarrenHill Wrote: Not really with addons per-se, but it's possible to do if your internet connection is up to it (at both ends).

Simplest way is to install a VPN server at home and connect to it from remotely, and then use the device as normal.

That's not something we actively support here due to the "other" uses for VPN (hence our VPN Policy (wiki)), but dialing home to use locally stored media on your own network is one of the acceptable uses for them. There is an addon in LE for setting up a client, but it is not supported here. See the thread on the LE forums for it (Zomboided's addon).
My concern is that the local networks upload is definitely not up to it. I was looking into Emby/Plex/Jellyfin. Do any of these work without having a separate server? Eg can they run inside a docker to stream to remote device, Or are the add-ons just the client portions?
If your upload speed isn't up to it, then no solution will work other than putting the media on a portable drive and taking it with you.

Fundamentally if the media is hosted in any fashion at your house, then to get it elsewhere it has to go via the upload side of your ISP subscription (which is most commonly only a fraction of the download speed).

Plex needs a Plex server, but that is available in Docker. But you'll have the same issue if your upload speed isn't up to the task. Plus you'll also need a Plex Pass subscription for doing it that way. Jellyfin is a FOSS fork of Plex iirc, but never actually used it to comment on what's different. Similarly Emby is a variant on the theme, but again all of these have to get the media from your house to wherever you are via your ISP upload.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-06-02, 12:51)DarrenHill Wrote: If your upload speed isn't up to it, then no solution will work other than putting the media on a portable drive and taking it with you.

Fundamentally if the media is hosted in any fashion at your house, then to get it elsewhere it has to go via the upload side of your ISP subscription (which is most commonly only a fraction of the download speed).

Plex needs a Plex server, but that is available in Docker. But you'll have the same issue if your upload speed isn't up to the task. Plus you'll also need a Plex Pass subscription for doing it that way. Jellyfin is a FOSS fork of Plex iirc, but never actually used it to comment on what's different. Similarly Emby is a variant on the theme, but again all of these have to get the media from your house to wherever you are via your ISP upload.

I got Jellyfin working... Admittedly the guide I found did a terrible job of actually giving the correct commands. Now Im just trying to figure out why some things are streaming through it and others arn't (exact same formats, only difference is the one that plays has a bitrate of 4900 and the one that doesnt has a bitrate of 3350.

My upload speed kinda sucks but, I thought these tools transcoded the video on the fly so it would be lighter on the bandwith. Anyway I need to figure out why one video plays and the other doesnt! Thanks for replying =)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there anyway to use kodi and its add-ons to stream video to a nonlocal client?0