Solved m4a MusicBrainz AlbumIDs not scanned into DB
Hey @DaveBlake and @black_eagle 

EDIT: The Title should be MusicBrainz AlbumIDs

I've been updating all my albums with MusicBrainzIDs, Disc and DiscSubTitle to take advantage of splitting discs with multiple mixes into 'albums' in Kodi. All is going well BUT:

For recent Blu-ray Audio discs with Atmos mixes I've made .m4a files containing the Atmos/TrueHD streams. These play perfectly in Kodi via HDMI pass-through and the tags are read during a library scan. However, the MusicBrainz_Album and ReleaseGroup ID tags from .m4a files are not imported into the Album table for .M4A and therefore Kodi creates a new Album record for these songs. It should create songs against the Album with Same MusicBrainzAlbumID for all songs with same MusicBrainz Album ID.

Here's supporting screen shots. I have created 3 albums (Discs) from one Blu-ray: Atmos, 7.1 and 5.1. These were all scanned into the library at same time.

The Songs table:

This data above is correct. Note that all three have same MusicBrainz Album and ReleaseGrroup IDs, but diferrent Disc Nos and Disc Titles.

But the albumID in next shot are different:

This is because the Album Table has two album records. One for the FLAC files (with Musicbrainz IDs) and one for the .m4a files (without Musicbrainz IDs) - see last two rows:

So Kodi's Disc display shows two the two albums (one FLAC one M4A) and the FLAC has only two discs: There should be One album with 3 discs:

The issue is the m4A library scan needs to use the same MusicBrainzID logic like the FLAC scan does to ensure all three disc's songs are inserted with the single AlbumID.

THX
Garry
(2021-06-03, 04:42)HomerJau Wrote: EDIT: The Title should be MusicBrainz AlbumIDs

You can edit your own posts including the title, can't you?
(2021-06-03, 04:56)Klojum Wrote: You can edit your own posts including the title, can't you?

Yes I can. Thanks. (Somehow I missed it earlier)
Hi @HomerJau
I removed the MB IDs for all files. Named them with the same albumtitle and different discnumbers and DISCSUBTITLEs. That worked fine for me.
I've now solved this issue. It was the usual IBM error (Idiot Behind Machine):

The Tagging software I was using (Tagscanner) was configured to write to wrong tags for mp4.

I updated MMH today to read/write MusicBrainz IDs when tagging (yes I should have done this years ago Dave..). MMH uses the TagLib library and correctly writes to MP4 tags which Kodi reads perfectly. I now get 'Discs' for FLAC and M4A 'albums':

Tagging of m4a is new and less commonly use compared to other file and tag formats, it is yet to shake out glitches - tagging tools may well not be doing what Kodi expects for more bespoke tags like mbids. Because the standard tags in that format are mixed case Kodi is over picky on use of captial in tag names for this format. Hence if there is a problem with data and m4a it is very likely that something is writing a tag name differently from what Kodi expects.
Quote:I removed the MB IDs for all files
Well that is an extreme response @Sylfest , and does lead to some disadvantages e.g. less efficient scraping, sorting out the tag name used is a better approach.

Glad you got it sorted out for yourself @HomerJau, that is the kind of problem I like Smile
(2021-06-04, 12:19)DaveBlake Wrote: Well that is an extreme response @Sylfest , and does lead to some disadvantages e.g. less efficient scraping, sorting out the tag name used is a better approach.
Thank you.
I didn't realise one could edit discnumbers and discsubtitles and keep MB IDs and still have the album show as expected. So i took a CD/Blu-Ray release (2 discs) and made it a 3 disc release. I separate the videos to a new disc and added discsubtitles. That worked out just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
m4a MusicBrainz AlbumIDs not scanned into DB0