Possible to acces a home kodi server from another kodi located outside home network?
Hello!
let me explain what i want to do.
I have a kodi server at home that run on a shield on my local network that i want to access from another shield located at my cottage wich is (of course) on a separate network to see the same content that i watch when i am at home on my home server.

(i want basically have the same data ( tv movies etc) and menu structures etc content from my home based shield setup at my remote cottage when i have just installed internet)… is that possible?
like to have the same shield kodi setup at home AND at the my cottage via another shield ?

.. if so, how can i « duplicate » my home shield kodi setup from home to my shield located at my cottage?

any help or tips appreciated…
File sharing (wiki) If you have media-files on a computer and you want to share them to a Kodi device, an FTP server is one option you can use. By default Kodi does not have any FTP server software installed, that does not mean you cannot add a FTP server to the installation and use it through that set-up.
(2021-06-08, 00:29)Jebelis Wrote: I have a kodi server at home

Well, for starters there is no such thing as a "Kodi server", as Kodi (XBMC) was designed as a client-application. The only 'server' functionality Kodi has onboard is DLNA/UPNP. I don't call that a server.

So how are you viewing your 'local' media files at the moment via your 'home' Shield? Using more than 1 Kodi client on the same media collection usually requires some type of shared database component, for example a MySQL server.
(2021-06-08, 07:16)Klojum Wrote:

Well, for starters there is no such thing as a "Kodi server", as Kodi (XBMC) was designed as a client-application. The only 'server' functionality Kodi has onboard is DLNA/UPNP. I don't call that a server.

So how are you viewing your 'local' media files at the moment via your 'home' Shield? Using more than 1 Kodi client on the same media collection usually requires some type of shared database component, for example a MySQL server.

Maybe i have not choosen the right words in english to express myself…sorry!
i have a shield at hime that is running kodi matrix so i can see all mt tv shows, movies etc that are located on my server in the basement. That is working fine.

I had internet installed last week at my cottage and i bought another shield to repeat the same pattern that i have at home, but instead of buying another computer and rebuilt another kodi menu setup, copy the hard dtives containing tv shiws and movies, i would like to know if it’s possible, at my cottage, to simply add the shield, install kodi on it, and get access from my cottage to my home based server on wich all the movies, tv shows etc are stored remotely… is that possible? 

best regards
Sure, there is technology for that.  But you have to accept that you have to open up a potential way for hackers to try to get into your house internal network.  You probably need to sign up for a service to provide you with a domain name that can deal with how your internet-facing ip address is managed by your ip service.  Then you have to provide some sort of server at home that will access your at-home content securely.  My approach would be to use a server technology that allows your remote cabin system to appear as another client on your home internal network (that is, a private network).  There are open source programs that will provide this functionality.   You could access a MySQL centralized Kodi database this way as well.  Setting this up is kind of outside the scope of Kodi.

scott s.

Thanks for answering....

here is my current setup:

at home:

NVidia Shield on a local home network connected to a computer wich hold all my data (Movies, tv shows etc) in the basement that streams the content over the nvidia shield in the living room upstairs via smb shares and a wired connexion to my switch..

at my cottage:

Nvidia Shield connected to my tv with internet connexion... i want to access the data located at my home (same thing as if i was at home) but from my cottage

is there a way to access the data located (and ideally, synchronise the data) to both shield?

something like emby for kodi would do the job if installed on my nvidia shiled located at my cottage to access the data at home?

.. or a better idea or way to make it possible?
(2021-06-08, 22:26)scott967 Wrote: Sure, there is technology for that.  But you have to accept that you have to open up a potential way for hackers to try to get into your house internal network.  You probably need to sign up for a service to provide you with a domain name that can deal with how your internet-facing ip address is managed by your ip service.  Then you have to provide some sort of server at home that will access your at-home content securely.  My approach would be to use a server technology that allows your remote cabin system to appear as another client on your home internal network (that is, a private network).  There are open source programs that will provide this functionality.   You could access a MySQL centralized Kodi database this way as well.  Setting this up is kind of outside the scope of Kodi.

scott s.
... does the UPnP functionnality in Kodi would be able to share my computer files on the other Nvidia Shield located at my cottage? ( on a different network?) or maybe something like Emby for Kodi would make it possible?

i already have plex with a lifetime pass, when i set up plex on m y shield at my cottage it can display the exact same thing and content that i have at my home, but the thing is that kodi offers more possibility for playing different types and content tan Plex does for my needs.... this is why i try to find a solution to 'mirror' my kodi from home to my cottage....

... could this work for what i am trying to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qXqFep1I60
... like at 5:20, if i replace the 192.168.xxx.xxx inmternal IP adress with the Internet IP adress (or a domain name linked to my internet provider home IP address) would it work?
(2021-06-08, 06:16)PatK Wrote: File sharing (wiki) If you have media-files on a computer and you want to share them to a Kodi device, an FTP server is one option you can use. By default Kodi does not have any FTP server software installed, that does not mean you cannot add a FTP server to the installation and use it through that set-up.

okay... but with that option, will i be able to set up my Nvidia shield at my other place (not on the same network) to get all my files playing on the Kodi i will install on my shield?
(ie: be able to mirror the same content i have at my Kodi back at home to the one i have at my other place, wich is in another city)?
(2021-06-08, 06:16)PatK Wrote: File sharing (wiki) If you have media-files on a computer and you want to share them to a Kodi device, an FTP server is one option you can use. By default Kodi does not have any FTP server software installed, that does not mean you cannot add a FTP server to the installation and use it through that set-up.

... like via ftps?

[Mod edit PatK] removed link to commercial services.

like if my home server (PC with my movies, tv shows etc are stored) would be acting like a seedbox?
I would definitely stay away from commercial services if my goal was to access my home set-up. In worse case, Plex might be an option if you can not get Kodi operational through one of the many possible networking solutions.
(2021-06-16, 00:51)PatK Wrote: I would definitely stay away from commercial services if my goal was to access my home set-up. In worse case, Plex might be an option if you can not get Kodi operational through one of the many possible networking solutions.

Good advice. I also use plex with a lifetime pass on the other kodi and i can access most of the content on my home set-up, but some of the content isn’t. This is why i wanted to also use Kodi… i wmight try via frps if not too hard to set up via Kodi… might be a good option? 🤔 .. and later try to add a sql database so i can keep up with tv show and movies i am listening when moving from one place to the other….
I do that too.
It's easy.
Kodi with Libreelec (Raspberry Pi) or Kodi with Coreelec (Android TV Box).
Required is of course, you have connected your hard drive to a device thereof.

- Install "ProFTPD Server" and set up your shares.
- Now you need a DynDNS address.
- Set up DynDNS on your router, fail your router does not support it (install "Inadyn").
- Do not forget approval on the router for the FTP server (port 21).
- finished

To synchronize your database use "Trakt".
Just be conscious of security in all of these attempts.

Opening up firewall ports etc may allow you to remote access, but if you don't set up good security (passwords, fail2ban, non-obvious ports etc) you could open your network up to access by others, some of whom may not be friendly or benign in their desires for your network.

The overall best method is normally to set yourself up a simple VPN server on your home network (commonly modern routers can do this built-in, but if not something like a Pi can host one) and then set this us securely and use that to connect from remote back into your network and then use your locally stored media in the same way you would if you were at home.

Setting up and supporting this kind of thing is beyond the scope of this website, but there are numerous tutorials and walk-throughs on the net for doing so. Wireguard is a good recommendation as it's quite simple to set up, but other flavours are available.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to acces a home kodi server from another kodi located outside home network?0