how to get start with core development
Lightbulb 
So I finally upgrade my laptop and would like to attempt to build Kodi from the source. Then maybe I can help with coding later on.

Can anyone explain it to me what programs I would need to do this. I use vscode for my python and js stuff. So are there any plugins to recommend for that as well.

I come here because of I attempted using the guide in the docs before but can never get it working.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
Hmmm, the Win10 build instructions worked for me recently when I needed to be able to build under Windows (normally I build on Linux).  However, I did notice that I needed multiple runs of download-dependencies.bat before it finally succeeded.  As long as you install all the prerequisites first you should be good to go.

If not, post a log of your build going wrong and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-06-11, 19:57)black_eagle Wrote: Hmmm, the Win10 build instructions worked for me recently when I needed to be able to build under Windows (normally I build on Linux).  However, I did notice that I needed multiple runs of download-dependencies.bat before it finally succeeded.  As long as you install all the prerequisites first you should be good to go.

If not, post a log of your build going wrong and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Maybe it been updated more recently. I will give it another go and report back thanks.
(2021-06-11, 19:57)black_eagle Wrote: Hmmm, the Win10 build instructions worked for me recently when I needed to be able to build under Windows (normally I build on Linux).  However, I did notice that I needed multiple runs of download-dependencies.bat before it finally succeeded.  As long as you install all the prerequisites first you should be good to go.

So it has definitely been updated. I did manage to do the manual build successfully though I am missing all the dll to actually test it so I attempted the automagical and I get NSIS installed? error.
NSIS is installed I even added it to the environments variable path. I am using building on windows 10 most resent update. https://pastebin.com/wvfrr9xR This is just the last few lines of output from the console. The build log where would they actually be located?
(2021-06-14, 08:41)smitchell6879 Wrote: I did manage to do the manual build successfully though I am missing all the dll to actually test it

No, you won't be.  I don't have my Win build system to hand right now but from what I remember, the executable is in a different directory to all the required DLL's.  I just copied it into the directory with the DLL's in and ran it from there.  Don't know about NSIS because I didn't need to build the installer.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-06-14, 09:02)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-06-14, 08:41)smitchell6879 Wrote: I did manage to do the manual build successfully though I am missing all the dll to actually test it

No, you won't be.  I don't have my Win build system to hand right now but from what I remember, the executable is in a different directory to all the required DLL's.  I just copied it into the directory with the DLL's in and ran it from there.  Don't know about NSIS because I didn't need to build the installer.

Thanks I just dropped it into the build directory and the exe I manually created from the instructions worked. Smile now time to play around and see what I can break. Thank you for your help.
(2021-06-14, 11:25)smitchell6879 Wrote:
(2021-06-14, 09:02)black_eagle Wrote:

Thanks I just dropped it into the build directory and the exe I manually created from the instructions worked. Smile now time to play around and see what I can break. Thank you for your help.
If you use Visual Studio (Community Edition) you don't have to care about paths and locations because it's all part of the CMake / Visual Studio configuration. You just build everything, hit run (or debug) and it will start without any manual steps.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to get start with core development0