Attempt to play animated GIFs
Since VLC can play animated GIFs by starting VLC by commandline with vlc --demux=avformat input.gif  (Windows),
would it be possible to create a playercorefactory.xml for Kodi (RaspberryPi) pointing to the internal player with the --demux=avformat argument as a way to have custom launches?

I've tried this and did not succeed:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC-av" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>/usr/bin/vlc</filename>
      <args>--demux=avformat</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="VLC-av"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

I entered player name="VLC-av"  to see if the entry would come up in the context menu, but it did not.

The log recorded: "...WARNING: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayer(VLC-av): no such player: VLC-av"

Note: advancedsettings.xml includes
  <videoeextensions>
    <add>.gif</add>
  </videoextensions>
I thought the playback of animated GIFs was added years ago to Kodi?
(2021-06-12, 09:55)Hitcher Wrote: I thought the playback of animated GIFs was added years ago to Kodi?

I just tested an animated gif on Kodi 18 / Ubuntu 16.04 & on Kodi 19 / NvShield...
Both: no joy. Sad

Oops! Kodi 18 is doing ani gifs when adding gif as a video extension.
But Kodi only shows 1 loop of the full animation...

I'll doublecheck K19 with the extension in a minute.

EDIT: yep, Android also plays animated stuff.

But... Perhaps there are limitations on higher bit colors? 8-bit may work, but not 16/24/32bit color gifs?
Perhaps @LouF can check on that.
(2021-06-12, 10:06)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-06-12, 09:55)Hitcher Wrote: I thought the playback of animated GIFs was added years ago to Kodi?

I just tested an animated gif on Kodi 18 / Ubuntu 16.04 & on Kodi 19 / NvShield...
Both: no joy. Sad

Oops! Kodi 18 is doing ani gifs when adding gif as a video extension.
But Kodi only shows 1 loop of the full animation...

I'll doublecheck K19 with the extension in a minute.

EDIT: yep, Android also plays animated stuff.

But... Perhaps there are limitations on higher bit colors? 8-bit may work, but not 16/24/32bit color gifs?
Perhaps @LouF can check on that.
No playback of an 8-bit for me.

Kodi crashes out with message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"
kodi_crashlog-20210612_112730.log: https://paste.kodi.tv/isalidisij.kodi

Kodi 18.7 for RetroPie (4.7.8  on Raspbian Buster on RPi4)

The advancedsettings.xml file is added to a profile at ~/.kodi/userdata/profiles/profile-name/advancedsettings.xml

The file:
<advancedsettings>
  <cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
    <readfactor>20</readfactor>
  </cache>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.gif</add>
  </videoextensions>
  <samba>
    <statfiles>false</statfiles>  <!-- Set to false to disable smb stat() on files to speed up listings of large directories (over slow links) -->
  </samba>
</advancedsettings>
(2021-06-12, 18:09)LouF Wrote: Kodi 18.7 for RetroPie (4.7.8  on Raspbian Buster on RPi4)

Right... I'm going to recommend you to (also) contact the Raspbian Buster developers on this, as they use their own OS, and they also compile / package / release their own Kodi build. So there are a couple of variables that Team Kodi cannot address.
(2021-06-12, 18:28)Klojum Wrote: Right... I'm going to recommend you to (also) contact the Raspbian Buster developers on this, as they use their own OS, and they also compile / package / release their own Kodi build. So there are a couple of variables that Team Kodi cannot address.
Thankyou!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Attempt to play animated GIFs0