Wanting to build an 'ARC' style 4K system
Hello,

I just purchased an LG 65 CX and I currently have a Shield TV connected to it which I'm fairly ok with except for the fact that my Yamaha Receiver (AX3010) doesn't output 4K and I really want to get back my HD audio. First thing I did was connect to the ARC input on the TV which allowed me to at least get Dolby Digital but it's honestly pretty rough on some movies - the receiver does not have eARC, just regular ARC. 

I thought about purchasing an ARC device from HDFury but now I'm wondering if perhaps I should go with a new Windows build because I believe I can accomplish the same concept with a simple Windows machine. What I would like to do is have 4K video 60hz HDR/DV sent directly to the TV and a separate audio out (HDMI, not coax) sent to my receiver for lossless audio. Is this possible with current PC hardware? The HDFury is around $280 so I wanted to see if this may be a better solution, I have a bigger budget in mind to do a Windows build if this is achievable. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.
(2021-06-12, 03:49)tman12 Wrote: Hello,

I just purchased an LG 65 CX and I currently have a Shield TV connected to it which I'm fairly ok with except for the fact that my Yamaha Receiver (AX3010) doesn't output 4K and I really want to get back my HD audio. First thing I did was connect to the ARC input on the TV which allowed me to at least get Dolby Digital but it's honestly pretty rough on some movies - the receiver does not have eARC, just regular ARC. 

I thought about purchasing an ARC device from HDFury but now I'm wondering if perhaps I should go with a new Windows build because I believe I can accomplish the same concept with a simple Windows machine. What I would like to do is have 4K video 60hz HDR/DV sent directly to the TV and a separate audio out (HDMI, not coax) sent to my receiver for lossless audio. Is this possible with current PC hardware? The HDFury is around $280 so I wanted to see if this may be a better solution, I have a bigger budget in mind to do a Windows build if this is achievable. 

Check out ezcoo HDMI switch ,only 30 bucks.passes 4k hdr/dolby vision /atmos,ive been using it for 2y to send hdr to my lg b8 and atmos to my av
You don't need to pay hundreds of pounds jst to pass hd audio to ur amp

If you're looking at a $280 device for audio, and possibily a little bit more for a HTPC; why don't you just start looking at a new receiver?  My POS Denon receiver I bought in a pinch was under $300, and it's only missing Atmos and DTSHD formats.  I think the next model up had everything but Atmos (not really a thing at the time) for another $100 or so.  If you check out some of the refurb sites with a good reputation you can probably score a pretty good deal.

ARC doesn't have the best reputation.  Even when you've done everything right, it still can have issues - as you've seen yourself.  I personally wouldn't bet on eARC to be any less trouble, only because I've only had one reliable setup out of 4 attempts before giving up and upgrading a piece of equipment.
(2021-06-12, 06:35)hash70 Wrote:

Check out ezcoo HDMI switch ,only 30 bucks.passes 4k hdr/dolby vision /atmos,ive been using it for 2y to send hdr to my lg b8 and atmos to my av

Yep - the ezcoo switch is a neat solution for this - it will split a UHD+HD Audio feed to two HDMIs - one UHD one for the TV, and a second HD scaled version with HD audio to send to your HD-only amp.

Yes, i do exactly that with a HP elitedesk SFF pc with 2 HDMI outputs, one HDMI to my TV outputting 4k resolution, and the 2nd HDMI to my reciever.
(2021-06-13, 10:45)PhilYHC Wrote:

Yes, i do exactly that with a HP elitedesk SFF pc with 2 HDMI outputs, one HDMI to my TV outputting 4k resolution, and the 2nd HDMI to my reciever.

I’ve just picked up a different splitter to send Dolby vision to my LG C9 and 5.1 LPCM to my amp from 2021 ATV. Individually it all works fine however, when I plug the amp in to the splitter which isn’t Dolby vision compatible I lose DV options immediately from the ATV? Any ideas?
(2021-06-21, 22:08)scwheeler Wrote:
(2021-06-13, 10:45)PhilYHC Wrote:

I’ve just picked up a different splitter to send Dolby vision to my LG C9 and 5.1 LPCM to my amp from 2021 ATV. Individually it all works fine however, when I plug the amp in to the splitter which isn’t Dolby vision compatible I lose DV options immediately from the ATV? Any ideas?

Does your splitter have any way of setting the mode of EDID operation ?  (The EZCOO allows you to connect to it over MicroUSB - though you need to follow the instructions on the website as the terminal program has a Chinese UI - and manually select EDIDs rather than relying on presets or lowest-common-denominator or 'follow display 1' modes.)
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay, I was on vacation. I went ahead and got the ezcoo and it seems to be working quite nicely so far! Appreciate the replies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wanting to build an 'ARC' style 4K system0