Kodi 19.1 internal player stuttering during playback.
Similar issues to https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=362842

HTPC - Intel i3-8100 (Intel UHD graphics), 32GB RAM, Asrock Z370 ITX mainboard, SSD
Denon X3700H AVR through to Sony XF90 TV.
Windows 10 21H1 all up to date

Playing back anything (DVD VIDEO_TS, Bluray ISO, UHD ISO) results in a 'stutter' about every 1-2 minutes.

Framerate set to sync (and according to AVR stream info it is). Tried advancedsettings buffer size 300MB.
Tried all combinations of hardware/software rendering.
Tried fullscreen windowed off (worse) - better with fullscreen windowed on.

Tried portable installation (with and without framerate sync, only changing the audio settings for passthrough audio and WASPI and advancedsettings to point to network database)

All works fine in PowerDVD as external player in 18.9 (but PowerDVD seems not to work in 19.x - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=362633) - playback of everything, including UHD with Atmos sound and HDR is completely smooth.

Debug log - https://paste.kodi.tv/oqiqebukuz.kodi (from portable installation)

Thanks
Andy
Can you play a local media file (not networked) with that portable vanilla installation, default skin 1080p desktop 1080p, player full screen, refresh & syc off, render method DXVA and allow DXVA2 accel, no advancedsettings.xml suspect at this point 'selected Intel® UHD Graphics 630 adapter'
(2021-06-18, 16:07)PatK Wrote: Can you play a local media file (not networked) with that portable vanilla installation, default skin 1080p desktop 1080p, player full screen, refresh & syc off, render method DXVA and allow DXVA2 accel, no advancedsettings.xml suspect at this point 'selected Intel® UHD Graphics 630 adapter'

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

So - playing a bluray ISO, local copy (on SSD), mounted with VCD, files -> drive -> right click -> play in the portable 19.1 - no stutter (watched about 5m)
Playing a UHD ISO, same conditions as bluray - couple of occasions of stutter in the first 3 minutes. Log https://paste.kodi.tv/favuyufaca.kodi

Thanks
Andy
I'm a little unsure what version of Intel® HD Graphics 630, usually these embedded gfx engines have limits and shared memory issues. Given that you have Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 23Hz set, I would recommend a desktop of 1080p (4K will still play at full res). Noting bluray ISO, local copy (on SSD) play in the portable 19.1 - no stutter, it would seem to indicate some issue with the fetch, might be drm encryption of the media (aacs.c:83: AACS\Unit_Key_RO.inf not found.). Then there is the multiple instances of "hardware accelerator failed to decode picture" of an h265 HEVC encode, (smacks of limitations of the hardware). Try again with h264 files and a 1080p desktop with only one display present.

You might want to avail yourself of the latest night-lies, There has been many advances and fixes, but I think you are seeing the horizon of the hardware.
(2021-09-09, 18:52)PatK Wrote: I'm a little unsure what version of Intel® HD Graphics 630, usually these embedded gfx engines have limits and shared memory issues. Given that you have Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 23Hz set, I would recommend a desktop of 1080p (4K will still play at full res). Noting bluray ISO, local copy (on SSD) play in the portable 19.1 - no stutter, it would seem to indicate some issue with the fetch, might be drm encryption of the media (aacs.c:83: AACS\Unit_Key_RO.inf not found.). Then there is the multiple instances of "hardware accelerator failed to decode picture" of an h265 HEVC encode, (smacks of limitations of the hardware). Try again with h264 files and a 1080p desktop with only one display present.

You might want to avail yourself of the latest night-lies, There has been many advances and fixes, but I think you are seeing the horizon of the hardware.

Thanks.

As in my other thread - they play fine (with Kodi 18.9 and PowerDVD as an external player - 4K and HDR) - no stutter at all - so the hardware should be ok shouldn't it??
Also using the internal player of 18.9 (but obviously without HDR) it's fine.

When you say nightlies - do you mean the 19.x branch or the 20.x branch??

Cheers
Andy
(2021-09-09, 19:02)powellandy Wrote: nightlies - do you mean the 19.x branch
Yes, but effort is moving ahead, there are stability issues which could compound your situation, it would be astute to keep a portable build at hand for experimentation. Given an external player works without issue, suggests to stick with what works. As I indicated, the hardware is at a challenge. Not too many set-ups play out 4K h265 UHD Hevc with i3 and desktop that large.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19.1 internal player stuttering during playback.0