Solved Intermittent Audio Cuts at Exact Intervals
I'm at my wit's end, please help! I've tried searching through these forums, Google, updating and rolling back drivers, and nothing's working. My setup for the last few years has been an Onkyo TX-NR737 receiver, and with my old laptop with Windows 10 64-bit connected via HDMI I wasn't having any problems watching episodes, movies, etc. on all Kodi versions (I'm currently using 19.1). The only Kodi audio settings I changed were enabling passthrough (with DirectSound) and enabling DTS capable receiver.

Sadly my laptop died, and I just got a Dell XPS 15 7590 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Geforce GTX 1650, driver version 27.21.14.6231. OS is Windows 10 64-bit Version 10.0.19041. This laptop is the only thing in my setup that changed. Now, whenever I play any file on Kodi, something interrupts just the HDMI PCM audio signal to my receiver exactly every 2.5 minutes for just a second, then again 10 seconds after that for another second. The video keeps playing just fine. The Onkyo receiver display flashes during the interruptions until the sound returns. So for any file, playback is the following:

02:30 - sound cuts out for one second
02:40 - sound cuts out again for one second
05:10 - sound cuts out for one second
05:20 - sound cuts out again for one second
07:50 - sound cuts out
08:00 - sound cuts out again, etc. 

Debug log is here: uqamohogen.kodi (paste)

MediaInfo for movie file here: uwocifapom (paste)

MediaInfo for tv file here: locifavuci (paste)

For troubleshooting, I tried disabling passthrough without any luck. I updated, uninstalled, and reinstalled graphics and audio drivers. I did a factory reset of the laptop with a clean Windows install. I also tried playing the same files on VLC Media Player with passthrough and it HALF WORKED! The movie file plays perfectly without any issues, but the TV file audio cut out at exact 90-second intervals similar to Kodi. The primary difference is that VLC played these files with different codecs. VLC played the movie file with a Dolby TrueHD codec (vs. PCM on Kodi), and it played the TV file with a Dolby Digital codec (vs. PCM on Kodi).

Any help and guidance is most appreciated. Thank you in advance!
FTL: It appears Kodi is using - selected Intel® UHD Graphics 630 adapter. Not the "nVidia Geforce GTX 1650" You might have to change this in bios, registry or gfx device.
(2021-06-18, 15:48)PatK Wrote: FTL: It appears Kodi is using - selected Intel® UHD Graphics 630 adapter. Not the "nVidia Geforce GTX 1650" You might have to change this in bios, registry or gfx device.

Thank you, PatK. I changed my settings so that Kodi utilizes the nVidia GPU, but the sound issue was not resolved. But I found the fix! All I had to do was switch from DirectSound to WASAPI and enable the additional codecs in the passthrough settings. And voila! No more audio cuts, and my Onkyo receiver now plays my files perfectly with the proper codecs. Don't have to return this fancy new laptop after all.

I'm aware of the differences between DirectSound and WASAPI, but any idea why one works with my system and the other doesn't?
Thread marked solved.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intermittent Audio Cuts at Exact Intervals0