Android InputStream Adaptive problems
I'm trying to fix a problem with InputStream Adaptive on my Android TV box and it would be useful to know what all the available settings do but for some reason this information does not exist either in the Kodi Wiki or the AddOn's github page. 
Most are self explanatory but I'd like to know what the "Media" setting (below Stream Selection) does and also "Override HDCP Status".
When playing 1080p streams, all I get is audio and a blank screen. 720p and below work fine.
I also have Kodi installed on my Windows PC with almost identical addons and settings and the PC plays the same streams at 1080p with no issues at all so I know the streams themselves work.
The media setting really just helps with debugging issues - inputstream.adaptive will only hand back to Kodi the streams that match the option selected i.e choose Video and you'll only get video, no audio.

I'm not really over the HDCP setting but it shouldn't need to be set.

The 1080p issue sounds like DRM/Widevine, can be an issue on cheap Android boxes without proper L1 Widevine certification, although the latest version of inputstream.adaptive takes steps to try and fall back to L3 if L1 provisioning fails.

I'd suggest opening an issue on the GitHub page with full debug log if you're still having problems.
(2021-07-04, 13:35)glennguy Wrote: The media setting really just helps with debugging issues - inputstream.adaptive will only hand back to Kodi the streams that match the option selected i.e choose Video and you'll only get video, no audio.

I'm not really over the HDCP setting but it shouldn't need to be set.

The 1080p issue sounds like DRM/Widevine, can be an issue on cheap Android boxes without proper L1 Widevine certification, although the latest version of inputstream.adaptive takes steps to try and fall back to L3 if L1 provisioning fails.

I'd suggest opening an issue on the GitHub page with full debug log if you're still having problems.

Thanks for clarifying that. It's not what I'd call a cheap Android box but it's not cutting edge either. It's kinda mid-range but it's only running Android 6 at the moment. I plan to upgrade the OS eventually but finding the correct ROM image is proving difficult because what little info I can find online for my box conflicts with other posts / pages.

It's an Amlogic based box and I read somewhere that Kodi no longer supports the hardware acceleration in Amlogic boxes. Could that be anything to do with it? They recommended using SPMC instead but from what I could tell, SPMC hasn't been updated for several years and I'm in no hurry to take a massive backward step which will probably also mean I'd lose compatibility with some of my addons.
Depending on which AML chipset is used, you could try coreelec for your box: coreelec.org.
(2021-07-23, 08:24)Atreyu Wrote: Depending on which AML chipset is used, you could try coreelec for your box: coreelec.org.

Awesome, thank you, I didn't know about this!
Just one question since they don't make it 100% clear in their initial description and instructions...

Is the SD card you create used to boot to and then flash corelec as new firmware on the box or is it like a live cd OS that runs off the card?

I'm more than happy to ditch the crappy stock firmware, desperate to do so actually but I haven't been able to locate enough info to know exactly what rom image to flash it with. The chipset is S905X but there are apparently several generic versions of the board (different wifi chips / memory sizes etc). The box says EgoIggo S95X Pro but I can't find much online about that - probably just a generic Chinese box-shifter bought a job-lot and gave them a name!
(2021-07-23, 12:10)kevwag Wrote:
(2021-07-23, 08:24)Atreyu Wrote: Depending on which AML chipset is used, you could try coreelec for your box: coreelec.org.

Just one question since they don't make it 100% clear in their initial description and instructions...

Is the SD card you create used to boot to and then flash corelec as new firmware on the box or is it like a live cd OS that runs off the card?

I'm more than happy to ditch the crappy stock firmware, desperate to do so actually but I haven't been able to locate enough info to know exactly what rom image to flash it with. The chipset is S905X but there are apparently several generic versions of the board (different wifi chips / memory sizes etc). The box says EgoIggo S95X Pro but I can't find much online about that - probably just a generic Chinese box-shifter bought a job-lot and gave them a name!
For months I have had a problem playing some movies. For example Crackle, when I play a movie it thinks its a song playing theme music and a still picture.

I just discovered in Imputstream adative  if under configure and expert I turn on " Don't use secure decoder if possible " The movies work okay.

What does this setting mean? 

Thanks
(2021-08-11, 17:45)rocko Wrote:
(2021-07-23, 12:10)kevwag Wrote:

For months I have had a problem playing some movies. For example Crackle, when I play a movie it thinks its a song playing theme music and a still picture.

I just discovered in Imputstream adative  if under configure and expert I turn on " Don't use secure decoder if possible " The movies work okay.

Thanks

I think it means not using HDCP where possible. Obviously if a stream has DRM protection of any kind, a secure decoder would be required to decode it.
Another reason you might only be getting audio is that you have hardware acceleration turned off in settings>>player>>video
(2021-08-12, 17:27)kevwag Wrote:
(2021-08-11, 17:45)rocko Wrote:
(2021-07-23, 12:10)kevwag Wrote: Awesome, thank you, I didn't know about this!

Thanks

I think it means not using HDCP where possible. Obviously if a stream has DRM protection of any kind, a secure decoder would be required to decode it.
Another reason you might only be getting audio is that you have hardware acceleration turned off in settings>>player>>video
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention I am on Android using a Minix U22 XJ.

Hardware acceleration is on. The audio is just like a theme song playing with a spinning disc and looking for lyrics.

Anyway it works okay  now on everything except Three now and TV New Zealand.

I will play around a little more with the imputstream adaptive settings. Since it's only me it may be a Minix problem.
(2021-08-12, 20:46)rocko Wrote:
(2021-08-12, 17:27)kevwag Wrote:
(2021-08-11, 17:45)rocko Wrote: For months I have had a problem playing some movies. For example Crackle, when I play a movie it thinks its a song playing theme music and a still picture.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Hardware acceleration is on. The audio is just like a theme song playing with a spinning disc and looking for lyrics.

I will play around a little more with the imputstream adaptive settings. Since it's only me it may be a Minix problem.

Save yourself the bother - it won't work.
Reset Inputstream to defaults - nothing you change in there will fix the issue.

It's not a Minix problem per-se, it's an Amlogic problem, well, to be more accurate it's a Kodi problem unique to Amlogic SoC boxes running Android. Kodi removed support for Amlogic hardware acceleration in their Android iteration, which has basically caused big problems for people who have Amlogic boxes (which from what I can tell, is most Android TV boxes!). It seems to be the reason a bunch of devs created CoreElec - a "just enough" distro of Linux with a modified (fixed) version of Kodi as its front-end. It's made specifically for Amlogic Android boxes and you can run it from a bootable USB stick / SD card or you can install it directly to the box, either in dual-boot mode or as a complete replacement for Android. To run the current version (which uses Kodi Matrix 19.3 rc3) your Minix will need to be running Android 7 or higher, otherwise you'll have to run the legacy version which has Kodi Leia.

Initially I ran into the same problem - blank screen at 1080p but I literally just solved it five minutes ago!
In CoreElec, the Kodi settings page has an extra option - CoreElec settings. In that page I opened the sub-page "Hardware" and under the Graphics heading I enabled the setting "Enable Vesa Modes" and boom - problem solved (finally). I will mention at this point that installing CoreElec also fixed a number of other issues that have had me pulling my hair out for weeks.

I'm fairly sure Android doesn't have an equivalent Vesa mode setting for the graphics hardware, and even if it did, Android Kodi doesn't support the hardware acceleration in Amlogic boxes so you're forever going to be chasing fixes for one thing or another. I cannot stress this strongly enough - migrate to CoreElec on your box as soon as possible, especially if like myself, you only use it to run Kodi. Without it you're akin to a quadruple amputee trying to swim breast-stroke against the tide!

The migration process wasn't entirely painless for me, mainly because my box was running Android 6 and I had to find a suitable firmware to upgrade it with first and then came the ball-ache of re-installing all my addons and entering the same bundle of logins, IDs and 30+ character API keys into all their settings...
but...
It was so worth the hassle! Trying to get everything working properly in Android was like pulling teeth... three at a time!
(2021-08-13, 15:10)kevwag Wrote:
(2021-08-12, 20:46)rocko Wrote:
(2021-08-12, 17:27)kevwag Wrote: I think it means not using HDCP where possible. Obviously if a stream has DRM protection of any kind, a secure decoder would be required to decode it.
Thanks for the reply.

It's not a Minix problem per-se, it's an Amlogic problem, well, to be more accurate it's a Kodi problem unique to Amlogic SoC boxes running Android. Kodi removed support for Amlogic hardware acceleration in their Android iteration, which has basically caused big problems for people who have Amlogic boxes (which from what I can tell, is most Android TV boxes!). It seems to be the reason a bunch of devs created CoreElec - a "just enough" distro of Linux with a modified (fixed) version of Kodi as its front-end. It's made specifically for Amlogic Android boxes and you can run it from a bootable USB stick / SD card or you can install it directly to the box, either in dual-boot mode or as a complete replacement for Android. To run the current version (which uses Kodi Matrix 19.3 rc3) your Minix will need to be running Android 7 or higher, otherwise you'll have to run the legacy version which has Kodi Leia.

Initially I ran into the same problem - blank screen at 1080p but I literally just solved it five minutes ago!
In CoreElec, the Kodi settings page has an extra option - CoreElec settings. In that page I opened the sub-page "Hardware" and under the Graphics heading I enabled the setting "Enable Vesa Modes" and boom - problem solved (finally). I will mention at this point that installing CoreElec also fixed a number of other issues that have had me pulling my hair out for weeks.

I'm fairly sure Android doesn't have an equivalent Vesa mode setting for the graphics hardware, and even if it did, Android Kodi doesn't support the hardware acceleration in Amlogic boxes so you're forever going to be chasing fixes for one thing or another. I cannot stress this strongly enough - migrate to CoreElec on your box as soon as possible, especially if like myself, you only use it to run Kodi. Without it you're akin to a quadruple amputee trying to swim breast-stroke against the tide!

The migration process wasn't entirely painless for me, mainly because my box was running Android 6 and I had to find a suitable firmware to upgrade it with first and then came the ball-ache of re-installing all my addons and entering the same bundle of logins, IDs and 30+ character API keys into all their settings...
but...
It was so worth the hassle! Trying to get everything working properly in Android was like pulling teeth... three at a time!
Thanks for the reply.

Everything is working fine except 2 channels I mentioned after I turned on Don't use secure decoder if possible.

I have had very problems other than this so for now I'm OK.

Down the road I may look at CoreElec.
(2021-08-13, 20:51)rocko Wrote:
(2021-08-13, 15:10)kevwag Wrote:
(2021-08-12, 20:46)rocko Wrote: Thanks for the reply.

but...
Thanks for the reply.

Everything is working fine except 2 channels I mentioned after I turned on Don't use secure decoder if possible.

I have had very problems other than this so for now I'm OK.

Down the road I may look at CoreElec.
Actually now all addons are working correctly now including Three Now and TV New Zealand.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
InputStream Adaptive problems0