weird behavior when selecting source..
Ok this has been bugging me for some time so i would like to hear what other think.

when you add sources in xbmc and are in the browsing dialog.... if you say browse to your c disk. then you skip down the folders, as you skip down the list of the source will change as you move over the folders. this is anoying cause it makes me often select the wrong folder as source cause i accedently move the folder focus as im navigating to the ok button.

The behavior should be that you need to actually enter the folder to make that subfolder the actual choice. and this shouldent change when you scroll over the other folders.

It's difficult to explain but i hope i make my point ?
This is one of a very few things that doesn't feel intuitive I to often chose the wrong source. I think the reason it feels unnatural is the "OK" button is below yet you have to press sideways to get to it. if skins put the button at the side it may work more seamlessly (Some may all ready)

alternatively it could be single click to select folder and double click to enter or even the context button to select folder.
i agree with u. it certainly is annoying.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I agree it's non-intuitive. The problem is that we have no concept of "select" and "enter".

A completely separate button would make it to non-intuitive to users without explicit instructions on screen (very difficult given the wide range of control options). Double clicking doesn't work with a remote.

Obviously we're willing to look into it, but it's not trivial!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

i understand. glad that it's beeing looked at. if one where to follow
the windows style wich most users are used too, then you would have to stand inside the directory for it to be accepted as the source. so if there is difficult to read an "enter" there would be easier to actually just add the directory you infact are inside ? this would mean that you dont need to know how that directory got entered... or am im far out there ? Smile
That might work. Please post a ticket on trac + assign it to me, and I'll give it a go and see how it feels.

EDIT: The only problem I see with it is sometimes you want to add a source that you cannot browse in to at this particular time, which could be a bit of a pain, though you can get around it by entering the path directly.

Cheers,
Jonathan

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4680

im not able to assign tickets Wink
But I am Smile Set for 9.04 (although it's so minor and possibly so convenient I would certainly look the other way if it mysteriously changed)
Done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
weird behavior when selecting source..0