Release Kinos2 - Kodi 16.1 & Retroarch for Apple TV 1
You’re welcome. No, netflix is not possible.
In theory you might be able to get Firefox or Chrome installed but it’d be a pain to use with only 256MB ram.
(2021-07-22, 10:20)Soli Wrote: You’re welcome. No, netflix is not possible.
In theory you might be able to get Firefox or Chrome installed but it’d be a pain to use with only 256MB ram.

Thanks for reply...guess I'll have to consign the ATV1 to the spare room and bite the bullet and invest in a cheapo (£30) Amazon Firestick. It's had a good ride...15 years or so.....but just a bit too limited for the modern streaming family and tech has moved on a bit since then! I have tried my best to keep it alive for as long as possible.......what it does do brilliantly though is stream the buffer live channel from my Humax box in the other room...no other box does this.......

Cheers,

M
(2021-07-17, 20:54)Quorthon Wrote:
(2021-07-17, 09:09)Soli Wrote:
(2021-07-17, 04:15)Quorthon Wrote: Thanks for your replies and updates.
This time I tried to get PVT IPTV to work, but couldn't get any channel to work.
The channel list comes up, but clicking on any channel just produces the spinning thingy then nothing.
Also, the guide never loaded.
Used a good m3u file that works on a 16.1 Kodi installed on an old iMac running Lion.
Send me the m3u file and ill take a look when im back from vacation. (Iptv is also one of those things I’ve never used, but it might be a quickfix nonetheless).

Hello, I'm using this file:

https://iptv-org.github.io/iptv/index.country.m3u
Seems to be a problem witth ffmpeg cant demux the stream or something. I might have a look, but no promises.
(2021-08-01, 13:30)Soli Wrote:
(2021-07-17, 20:54)Quorthon Wrote:
(2021-07-17, 09:09)Soli Wrote: Send me the m3u file and ill take a look when im back from vacation. (Iptv is also one of those things I’ve never used, but it might be a quickfix nonetheless).

Hello, I'm using this file:

https://iptv-org.github.io/iptv/index.country.m3u
Seems to be a problem witth ffmpeg cant demux the stream or something. I might have a look, but no promises.

I installed libav-tools and a bunch of other codec libs were installed along:
Quote:root@Kinos:~/.kodi/temp# apt-get install libav-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libfuse2 libopenal-data libopenal1 libv4l-0 libv4lconvert0 os-prober
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libavcodec54 libavdevice53 libavfilter3 libavformat54 libavresample1
  libavutil52 libcdio-cdda1 libcdio-paranoia1 libdc1394-22 libgsm1 libopus0
  liborc-0.4-0 libraw1394-11 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libspeex1 libswscale2
  libtheora0 libvpx1 libx264-142 libxvidcore4
Suggested packages:
  frei0r-plugins opus-tools libraw1394-doc speex
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libav-tools libavcodec54 libavdevice53 libavfilter3 libavformat54
  libavresample1 libavutil52 libcdio-cdda1 libcdio-paranoia1 libdc1394-22
  libgsm1 libopus0 liborc-0.4-0 libraw1394-11 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libspeex1
  libswscale2 libtheora0 libvpx1 libx264-142 libxvidcore4
0 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,994 kB of archives.
After this operation, 37.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Opened an IPTV stream after that, failed again.
But this time I got some out of memory feedback warnings on dmesg.
Hadn't rebooted after installing libav-tools and associated libs.
After rebooting, tried opening a stream.
Some seemed to not work, so I kept trying. BTW, no out of memory warnings on dmesg now.
After trying another channel (and leaving it for a while since I was using the same monitor on the computer I was ssh'ing to the Kodi AppleTV) I switched back to the AppleTV display and the stream was running!
Stream that worked was Balkanika Music Television.

Going to try other streams now, but it looks like it is working now.
Only a handful of channels work.
I also installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, clementine and vlc and the dependencies they both required.
But even then, it seems like some other codec or lib is needed for most channels.
Kodi uses internal FFmpeg so I'm not surprised.
Thanks so much, Soli, again, for this build! I came across this by accident. Maybe I should post in the version 1 thread so people like me can find this if they only subscribed to the version 1 thread.

I'll give it a try, and my main purpose is still using it as a TVheadend server with ATSC TV USB tuner, and then local TV watching etc.

I'll report back after I try it out.

Yeepie
Cheers fortissimo.
I've included all drivers from the 4.19 kernel, so I guess it should work with the tuner, but you might have to add missing firmware or whatnot. It seems to work well enough, except I've yet to look into why iptv doesn't work.
@Soli Thanks so much for keeping this rugged bad boy breathing! I can't fully explain it, but something about my ATV1 that remains elusive in all other TV boxes I've seen/tried. So, I really appreciate you putting all this effort into keeping it alive - even if barely.

I just tried this Kinos2 and indeed, navigation is fast! I use the silver Apple remote and I can attest to a better experience. However, I'm observing some issues of concern:

1. The ATV1 seems to crash a lot (or just goes through these several seconds of blackness - dark screen)
2. Using the left navigation area on the remote to rewind causes the video to freeze for a few seconds. Audio advances and plays instantly, but video freezes for a few seconds, then fast-tracks to catch up with audio. I don't recall noticing this issue with the previous version (kinos1)
3. For some reason, I'm unable to adjust settings in the Weather app. I tried a couple of apps and the experience was the same.

I really, really want this to work because amongst other things, its handling of 1080p videos (with CrystalHD of course), is absolutely superb! I didn't get a chance to try 1080p on Kinos1 (didn't have CrystalHD on that box), but I've read that Openelec handles 1080p better than OSMC (which I previously had on this box).

So, any thoughts on how to fix the freezing problem and also what I suspect to be a crashing problem? Is there some buffer or something I can play with somewhere to help with fast-rewind? Interestingly , advancing forward works flawlessly. Plesae advise.

Thanks again for an awesome job!
Weather app is dead. It is a Kodi problem?
The trainwreck problem was there in Kinos1 too, and actually had always been a problem with the ATV since CHD surfaced. It is because of old drivers but mostly because of too little ram. But it will catch up after a second or so, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem in everyday use.

I haven’t experienced any crashing problems. Sure I have experienced it, but very seldom.
I’d look at getting a ide 44pin 2.5’’ to msata adapter on aliexpress or ebay. That makes it much much snappier.

Also look at the config file: I doubt it really helps but you’ll save a small amount of ram if you disable samba, ssh or airplay as those are on by default.

You can also try turning off the auto refreshrate if it isnt important to you.

And thanks, you’re welcomeSmile
Thanks for responding and for the suggestions.

I was running OSMC on the box until yesterday, like I suggested and neither of those issues were experienced (weather app and back-freezes). I have Kinos1 on my other box but I haven't used that in a while, so I don't know if the back-freezing was an issue then (I suspect I would remember if it was).

I'll take a stab at the suggestions you made though. Appreciate your help! 👍🏾
From what I’ve heard and briefly experienced, OSMC on the atv is slow, doesn’t play 1080p, and have frequent crashes, so I guess you are still better off.

The back-freezes shouldn’t be a typical problem, although I have experienced it now and then. It could be a skin problem, but I’m not really sure. (Maybe change to the other skin to see if that fixes it). But noone else has mentioned that so I guess it’s not a problem for most people.

Regarding the weather: does this fix it: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/yahoo-weathe...ix/88872/2
(2021-10-15, 22:11)Soli Wrote: Regarding the weather: does this fix it: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/yahoo-weathe...ix/88872/2

Tried it; didn't fix the issue for me. Maybe because Kinos is on Jarvis?
(2021-10-16, 05:33)RyanP Wrote:
(2021-10-15, 22:11)Soli Wrote: Regarding the weather: does this fix it: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/yahoo-weathe...ix/88872/2

Tried it; didn't fix the issue for me. Maybe because Kinos is on Jarvis?
probably. I think it's been broken on Jarvis for a long time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kinos2 - Kodi 16.1 & Retroarch for Apple TV 10