Kodi+Raspberry PI 4 - RV Media Server
Complete NOOB to KODI here! Hey, I gotta start somewhere right?

I'm looking for a solution to play media in my RV while traveling and visiting the in-laws and was hoping to chat with some folks who've had a bit of experience using KODI and PI 4 devices. I was told that LibreElec+PI+Kodi would be a solid option.  Since this is the Video Support thread I suppose I should mention that most of my video files are in MKV 720p or 1080p.

Based on what I've seen the PI 4 with 8GB of Ram seems the most futureproof hardware that I should look into. Since I'll be using the device as a dedicated media player, will I need the extra 4GB of ram?

Or am I best off spending it on a bigger SSD to serve the media from.

I've found these two kits on Amazon that seem like they would both do the trick but the one has the SSD case where I could pop in a larger drive for futureproofing beyond the microSD memory card storage (looks like the Cannkit comes up to 128GB).

NES SSD Case Link - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GKTPTR8/r...PJJYXSWVX2
CannKit Extreme 8GB - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B6F...AJ0A&psc=1

Thanks!
Moved to Hardware section.
(2021-06-30, 00:53)Klojum Wrote: Moved to Hardware section.

Thank you! I posted in the Raspberry Pi sub-forum too. Figured it was more relevant there, but thanks for the assistance @Klojum!
An RPi4B with 2GB and higher is okay for most videos out there.

IMHO, future proofing is better done with using an SSD drive as a boot device instead of an SDcard. The RPi4B can boot directly from the USB ports. But sooner or later SDcards will get problems with 'wear and tear' as those cards do not have TRIM capability like SSD drives do.

I'd go for a aluminum casing for the RPi, such as the Flirc case. All cooling is done passively, meaning no loud fan that will also act like a dust magnet.

Whatever external storage you connect to the RPi4B is up to you. I'd suggest a 2nd SSD or USB stick, so you can keep the OS and data (movies/videos/music) separately.
(2021-06-30, 01:15)Klojum Wrote: An RPi4B with 2GB and higher is okay for most videos out there.

IMHO, future proofing is better done with using an SSD drive as a boot device instead of an SDcard. The RPi4B can boot directly from the USB ports. But sooner or later SDcards will get problems with 'wear and tear' as those cards do not have TRIM capability like SSD drives do.

I'd go for a aluminum casing for the RPi, such as the Flirc case. All cooling is done passively, meaning no loud fan that will also act like a dust magnet.

Whatever external storage you connect to the RPi4B is up to you. I'd suggest a 2nd SSD or USB stick, so you can keep the OS and data (movies/videos/music) separately.
Thanks for the assistance with my garbage dupe post and feedback @Klojum. Sry about that!
I have that exact case in my pending cart of items for the build, so big ole' high-five!

The OS SSD makes sense versus the SD memory card.  Is there a particular drive/setup that you'd use for the OS and/or the media storage device in tandem with the Kodi case or have experience using yourself?

When you say "Should be okay for most videos", should I drop the extra few bucks for the 4GB for light emulation gaming too?

Thanks again for the TLC Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi+Raspberry PI 4 - RV Media Server0