Best way to output surround sound over toslink?
I've recently bought a soundbar for the bedroom and have a Raspberry Pi 4 setup already for video/music playback running LibreElec.

The Panasonic TV has an optical output, but I don't think it passes through DTS/AC3 - it works fine for PCM to sound bar but that leaves me with just 2 channels.

I have to hand a Topping D10 USB>SPDIF convertor, this also decodes to PCM OK for music playback. But, when I select passthrough option in Kodi for AC3/DTS it produces a harsh scrambled noise upon playback. Also, the "PCM" status on the soundbar does not change.

What devices are recommended to acheive reliable DTS/AC3 passthrough? Toslink connectivity would be ideal, but the soundbar also has analog inputs so a USB 5.1 soundcard may also work as a last resort...?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Google Hifiberry.

For some reason it didn't let me post link.
(2021-06-30, 09:54)daws0n Wrote: I've recently bought a soundbar for the bedroom and have a Raspberry Pi 4 setup already for video/music playback running LibreElec.

The Panasonic TV has an optical output, but I don't think it passes through DTS/AC3 - it works fine for PCM to sound bar but that leaves me with just 2 channels.

I have to hand a Topping D10 USB>SPDIF convertor, this also decodes to PCM OK for music playback. But, when I select passthrough option in Kodi for AC3/DTS it produces a harsh scrambled noise upon playback. Also, the "PCM" status on the soundbar does not change.

What devices are recommended to acheive reliable DTS/AC3 passthrough? Toslink connectivity would be ideal, but the soundbar also has analog inputs so a USB 5.1 soundcard may also work as a last resort...?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have several of these and I use them daily.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical...B01K7BZ1XC

They are much cheaper than dedicated audio extractor’s I was looking at and it also allows me To switch HDMI inputs. Are use it to output the sound to coaxial because I run 24bit flac files. It works extremely well I am very happy with the audio quality. I have one set up where I use all three audio outputs because depending on what my source is, I use a different receiver. So it’s very helpful to have one channel extract to LR stereo, one goes to Co-axial and the other to optical. So by switching the HDMI I am automatically switching the audio processing. This HDMI switcher also allows for 2ch,7.1,pass,spdif, and ARC on its little remote.

Note: there are so many different “brands” of these switches most of which of them are some sort of Chinese generic. So I usually go with Monoprice or Ugreen, or the one that I linked to, because I’ve had positive experiences with their other audio products.
There is a difference between 2 channel and 8 channel optical interfaces. However - 

See also:  https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363587 and follow the HDMI config info on the RasPi site that's linked there.  The different HDMI versions/standards SHOULD all include multichannel digital audio

I also have a Panasonic display - I take optical out into my 5.1 amp (RasPi4 HDMI out into display), but for some reason the amp doesn't see 5.1.  I suspect the display's optical out is TOSLink, which is a 2 channel interface, but I haven't made the config.txt change to kodi to test it out. 
It may be best to make the chain HDMI completely - Pi/kodi -> receiver/ampifier -> display
Thanks for the help everyone.

I got everything working fine using a Douk Audio D2 USB > SPDIF convertor. Oddly enough it utilises the same XMOS u208 chipset as the Topping D10, but passes DTS and AC3 straight through without issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to output surround sound over toslink?0