music not loading into kodi
Hello all

following my debacle with my music media a few years ago, since then i reloaded all my music and passing it through music brains prior to commit the files to their permanent place on the nas. All worked brilliantly... thank again to all that help

forward to now

I do not have music to add to my collections, however sometimes i hear a track which i like being played and i go to youtube to search for it. If i find it I download it from youtube using using youtube downloader. Then I pass it through music brains and save it to my nas.

the file is downloaded as an MP3 320kps file or 128kps

If i go to windows explorer and right click on the file and select open with kodi .... it plays correctly

yet when i run the update function of my music it will not load 
nor if i try to go to files i can see the artist folder and the album folder but no track

what am i missing

thank you in advance for your reply
Best regards to all
BikerDude
HTPC with 16gb ram M-Audio LT1010 sound card feeding McIntosh 7205 power amp Magneplanar 2.7r and Velodyne dd12. All connected to Sony smart tv.
All media on 2 fully redundant TrueNas VMs installed on Proxmox servers. Running Kodi. Everything works brilliantly until i screw it up
(2021-07-08, 19:51)BikerDude Wrote: Hello all

following my debacle with my music media a few years ago, since then i reloaded all my music and passing it through music brains prior to commit the files to their permanent place on the nas. All worked brilliantly... thank again to all that help

forward to now

I do not have music to add to my collections, however sometimes i hear a track which i like being played and i go to youtube to search for it. If i find it I download it from youtube using using youtube downloader. Then I pass it through music brains and save it to my nas.

If i go to windows explorer and right click on the file and select open with kodi .... it plays correctly

nor if i try to go to files i can see the artist folder and the album folder but no track

what am i missing

It sounds like you have not added a music source?  Maybe you created a file source in filemanager but that's not the same thing.   If you have copied that mp3 file into an existing source and it isn't adding then need a log with debug turned on and try to scan the source to library, then close Kodi and upload the log.

Given your stated workflow, I suggest creating a local folder for "new music" and add that as a music source, then place your files in there in whatever subfolder setup you prefer.

scott s.
Is it definitely a mp3 and not an mp4 file? as a mp4 will be seen as a video file.
(2021-07-09, 02:05)jjd-uk Wrote: Is it definitely a mp3 and not an mp4 file? as a mp4 will be seen as a video file.

Thank you for your reply 

When i go to the file properties i see that the file is an MP3. If i click on the file and select open with (and choose Kodi) it will play
Best regards to all
BikerDude
HTPC with 16gb ram M-Audio LT1010 sound card feeding McIntosh 7205 power amp Magneplanar 2.7r and Velodyne dd12. All connected to Sony smart tv.
All media on 2 fully redundant TrueNas VMs installed on Proxmox servers. Running Kodi. Everything works brilliantly until i screw it up
(2021-07-08, 23:35)scott967 Wrote:
(2021-07-08, 19:51)BikerDude Wrote: Hello all

forward to now

what am i missing

It sounds like you have not added a music source?  Maybe you created a file source in filemanager but that's not the same thing.   If you have copied that mp3 file into an existing source and it isn't adding then need a log with debug turned on and try to scan the source to library, then close Kodi and upload the log.

Given your stated workflow, I suggest creating a local folder for "new music" and add that as a music source, then place your files in there in whatever subfolder setup you prefer.

scott s.
Thank you Scott S. for your reply. I would think that since it does play when i go to explorer select the file and select open with (select kodi) it does play. would this not suggest that the file is a music source. 
I will turn on the loggin 

In my workflow when i select to run music brains The file once processed It is saved on my C: drive (under a new folder) and once tested i move it to the nas ( i learned this the hard way)
Best regards to all
BikerDude
Debug log should tell us more (I hope anyway)

scott s.
@BikerDude I suspect we have a language/terminology problem.

Sounds like you have a music file that Kodi can play from Windows Explorer, but that is not what Scott is saying. In terms of Kodi discussuion of "music source"  is asking if the music file is located in a folder or subfolder that has been added to Kodi as a music source. Scanning into the library, or playback from file view in Kodi only looks at music files that are located in the "music sources", that is those locations that Kodi has been told to look in for music.

I suspect that the new music is located somewhere that Kodi is not looking at when doing a library update.
Also, have you checked the tags are correct.
(2021-07-10, 12:04)DaveBlake Wrote: @BikerDude I suspect we have a language/terminology problem.

Sounds like you have a music file that Kodi can play from Windows Explorer, but that is not what Scott is saying. In terms of Kodi discussuion of "music source"  is asking if the music file is located in a folder or subfolder that has been added to Kodi as a music source. Scanning into the library, or playback from file view in Kodi only looks at music files that are located in the "music sources", that is those locations that Kodi has been told to look in for music.

I suspect that the new music is located somewhere that Kodi is not looking at when doing a library update.

Hello Dave hope you and love ones are all well during this pandemic.

Thank you for responding 

for all the files in question ( 3 of them ) a folder for the artist name and a subfolder for the album have created. Furthermore If I create a bespoke playlist I can add the files to the playlist.

If i go to music  then files then search for the artist i see the folder but i do not see the file

I i go to options the file manager and add a folder I can add the folders and from there i can play them.  but they will not be included in the the music section of kodi 

I trust i am making easy to understand

Once again thank yuo
Best regards to all
BikerDude
I am assuming that the new music is is a separate location from your usual music in Kodi, not under the normal folders. Is that right?
(2021-07-10, 14:25)BikerDude Wrote: I i go to options the file manager and add a folder I can add the folders and from there i can play them.  but they will not be included in the the music section of kodi 
Do you mean that you have gone to "Files" and added the folder as a music source? Post a screen shot of file view, that will make it clearer.

You can add music sources and not scan them to the library, perhaps that is what you have done? Library update only checks those folders previously scanned into the library, not all music sources. But you can use "Scan to library" on the context menu when on the new source, or having navigated down inside folders of a source.
(2021-07-10, 14:49)DaveBlake Wrote: I am assuming that the new music is is a separate location from your usual music in Kodi, not under the normal folders. Is that right?
(2021-07-10, 14:25)BikerDude Wrote: I i go to options the file manager and add a folder I can add the folders and from there i can play them.  but they will not be included in the the music section of kodi 
Do you mean that you have gone to "Files" and added the folder as a music source? Post a screen shot of file view, that will make it clearer.

You can add music sources and not scan them to the library, perhaps that is what you have done? Library update only checks those folders previously scanned into the library, not all music sources. But you can use "Scan to library" on the context menu when on the new source, or having navigated down inside folders of a source.
Hello Thank you

Yes I did go to options and the file manager and add source then when the add file source box appears I proceed to select  browse the n select my music share folder and then select the artist 

ALL my music is on my NAS under a dataset called music. there all my music is organized by  artist name and the by album title and this is where the music files live and the relative additional files like album cover (and in some cases (2 of them)  the lyrics 

thank you for helping
Best regards to all
BikerDude
(2021-07-10, 14:58)BikerDude Wrote: ALL my music is on my NAS under a dataset called music. there all my music is organized by  artist name and the by album title and this is where the music files live and the relative additional files like album cover (and in some cases (2 of them)  the lyrics 
Please clarify: are these new music files you are having problem with also on the NAS drive in the music folder in an artist and album folder like all the rest?

Quote:nor if i try to go to files i can see the artist folder and the album folder but no track
Provide a screen shot when on the album folder in file view showing no tracks
(2021-07-10, 15:33)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2021-07-10, 14:58)BikerDude Wrote: ALL my music is on my NAS under a dataset called music. there all my music is organized by  artist name and the by album title and this is where the music files live and the relative additional files like album cover (and in some cases (2 of them)  the lyrics 
Please clarify: are these new music files you are having problem with also on the NAS drive in the music folder in an artist and album folder like all the rest?

Quote:nor if i try to go to files i can see the artist folder and the album folder but no track
Provide a screen shot when on the album folder in file view showing no tracks
Hi I figured a work around but it still explains why it is not loading by itself

In the music section i go to files  then add music select the folder and the add. kodi will ask if i want to scan it in my library i say OK and the update the library and the file is there.

i achieved what i wanted to do however i feel that there is something still not right in my set up. When updating the library hodi should have seen the file and added it as a normal process.

Is there something with the yuotube file that may prevent this from happening

as always you are very helpful thanks
Best regards to all
BikerDude
You don't answer my questions @BikerDude , hence I can't help you.
(2021-07-10, 16:42)DaveBlake Wrote: You don't answer my questions @BikerDude , hence I can't help you.

sorry trying to do 3  things at once

yes these are new mp3 files (when downloading from youtube), the youtube downloader gives you the option of downloading the MP4 video or MP3 sound track of that video.

once put through musicbrains (as you suggested 3 years ago) I move the file to the music dataset on my NAS after creating a folder for that artist and within that i create a subfolder for the album like all my music file. All my files are now under artist /album on my nas .

When adding my music to the library 3 years ago I added the library via options file manager (this added the music source to my library hence during an update kodi should read all the files.

If i go to my music section and then go to files I see my library source there. .... No Problem

In my workaround  these youtube files can only be added via the music section/files/add source and the files are added. kodi now asks mew if i want to add then to my library and i select yes.

Now the files are in my library excellent

If i go to my music library here I can see  the file no issues.

If i delete the files that i added as a source the files are deleted from my library ( the files on my NAS do not move)   

this is what i do understand

sorry if i am not clear and thank you
Best regards to all
BikerDude

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
music not loading into kodi0