How to change startup image / Add fanart for music
Hello all

I have had the skin Black Glass Nova up to now. As far as I know that skin wont be updated for Kodi 19.

I have now started with Amber which I like quite a lot.

I would how ever like to be able to change the startup image (Kodi logo by defaut). With Black Glass Nova there was a folder called defaut in the background folder which contained the image that was shown on start up. Can any one tell me how to do it with amber?

I would also like to add fanart for music, while music is playing. I activated an option in the settings menu which didn't help. Can any one tell me if it is possible and how it is done?

Thank you all!

Cheers,

moses
(2021-07-09, 22:29)moserroger Wrote: Hello all

I have had the skin Black Glass Nova up to now. As far as I know that skin wont be updated for Kodi 19.

I would how ever like to be able to change the startup image (Kodi logo by defaut). With Black Glass Nova there was a folder called defaut in the background folder which contained the image that was shown on start up. Can any one tell me how to do it with amber?

I would also like to add fanart for music, while music is playing. I activated an option in the settings menu which didn't help. Can any one tell me if it is possible and how it is done?

Thank you all!

Cheers,

moses
@moserroger , hello, I am the maintainer for Amber.  In regards to your questions:

1. This is not possible in Amber.  I will take a look at Black Glass Nova to see how it was done, but do not guarantee that I will be adding this.

2. Amber supports a single fanart while music is playing, multiple artist fanart (extra fanart) and also images from the Artist Slideshow addon.

Make sure that you have the following setting enabled for fanart while music is playing:

And this setting if you want to use Artist Slideshow:

In order for fanart to display, if you are not using Artist Slideshow, you need to have artist fanart(s) loaded into your db.  You can check if you do by going here (this is an example for one artist):

If there is no fanart, or fanartxx loaded, then fanart will not show while playing music.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Main HTPC: Intel Core i7, 32GB, nVidia GTX1080, Windows 11 Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q950A TV: LG CX Kodi: 19.3 Skin: Amber
(2021-07-10, 16:26)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-07-09, 22:29)moserroger Wrote: Hello all

Thank you all!

Cheers,

moses
@moserroger , hello, I am the maintainer for Amber.  In regards to your questions:

1. This is not possible in Amber.  I will take a look at Black Glass Nova to see how it was done, but do not guarantee that I will be adding this.

2. Amber supports a single fanart while music is playing, multiple artist fanart (extra fanart) and also images from the Artist Slideshow addon.

Make sure that you have the following setting enabled for fanart while music is playing:

And this setting if you want to use Artist Slideshow:

In order for fanart to display, if you are not using Artist Slideshow, you need to have artist fanart(s) loaded into your db.  You can check if you do by going here (this is an example for one artist):

If there is no fanart, or fanartxx loaded, then fanart will not show while playing music.

Regards,

Bart
Hello bsoriano

Thank you the reply! It helped me a lot...

For the bootup screen:
what about .kodi/media? Apparently there should be a kodi Splash.png image there?

Thank you.

moses
Hi bsoriano

Unfortunately I overread before that you are the maintainer of Amber.

It's nice that you took the time to reply. And that you offered to have a look at Black Glass Nova. I found it a very nice feature to be able to customize the bootup screen. I don't know if it shouldn't also be possible through the "Splash screen method" (Splash in Kodi Forum) may be even independent of the current skin?

The fanart for the music work. Thanks.

Cheers,

moses
(2021-07-26, 22:54)moserroger Wrote: Hi bsoriano

It's nice that you took the time to reply. And that you offered to have a look at Black Glass Nova. I found it a very nice feature to be able to customize the bootup screen. I don't know if it shouldn't also be possible through the "Splash screen method" (Splash in Kodi Forum) may be even independent of the current skin?

Cheers,

moses

@moserroger, I am looking into this, I have not arrived at a suitable solution yet. I will keep on testing and let you know when I have figured it out.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Main HTPC: Intel Core i7, 32GB, nVidia GTX1080, Windows 11 Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q950A TV: LG CX Kodi: 19.3 Skin: Amber
(2021-07-26, 22:54)moserroger Wrote: Hi bsoriano

Cheers,

moses
@moserroger , I was able to figure it out, with some help.  Thank you for asking for this.

If you are able to download and update from GitHub, the changes are already there: https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/skin...master.zip

I added a new setting in the Advanced section of the skin settings, that allows you to choose what you want for the startup background:

When you select that, Amber shows you the available options: Single Image, Multiple Images, A video (or video or music playlist), and Skin Default, which means no startup background.  The selection dialog looks like this:

If you choose single image, you can browse for the image that you want.  Amber starts the browse dialog in the backgrounds/intro skin folder, in which I have added 5 images to choose from.  You can of course go to any location accessible to your Kodi machine to look for the image that you want.  It looks like this:

If you choose Multiple Images, you can browse for the folder that contains the images.  Amber starts the browse dialog again in the backgrounds/intro skin folder.  If you choose this folder, Amber will cycle through the images on startup.  Again, you can browse to any folder that is accessible to your Kodi machine.  It looks like this initially:

If you choose Video/Playlist, Amber will open a browser dialog so that you can look for the video file/playlist that you want.  It is important to note that Amber accepts files with the following extensions: .mp4|.avi|.mkv|.xvid|.wmv|.mov|.xsp|.mp3|.wma|.flac|.m3u.  The browser dialog starts in the extras/intro skin folder, where I am including an intro video that you can use.  Of course, you can browse to any location that is accessible to your Kodi machine to look for the video/playlist file.  It looks like this initially:

Just so that you are aware, it is not possible, as far as I know, from the skin side, to stop the default Kodi splash image from appearing briefly.  It will show for less than a second, and then the startup image(s) or video/playlist that you have chosen will show.

If you choose Single Image, the image will show for about 3 seconds.  If you choose Multiple Images, the images will show for about 8 seconds, so that more than one image can be seen.  If you choose Video/Playlist, the video/playlist will play for about 12 seconds, which is the length of the startup video that I am including with the skin.

Please note that if you choose a startup video/playlist that is longer than 12 seconds, it will be cut off after that interval, and the home window will show.

Let me know if you are able to test this from GitHub, and if this is what you were looking for.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
@moserroger , have you been able to test the changes? Please let me know.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
@bsoriano  I tried these new settings and they work great for me.  Wow, you're doing fantastic stuff with this skin.  As an fyi, I add <splash>false</splash> to advancedsettings.xml and I never see Kodi splash screen.
YOYIZDERZOMENEMOHOZEZAZEZDENDERIZHOZEZ
(2021-08-04, 15:16)bobrap Wrote: @bsoriano  I tried these new settings and they work great for me.  Wow, you're doing fantastic stuff with this skin.  As an fyi, I add <splash>false</splash to advancedsettings.xml and I never see Kodi splash screen.
@bobrap , thanks for confirming and that info on the splash screen! Smile

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
(2021-08-03, 18:35)bsoriano Wrote: @moserroger , have you been able to test the changes? Please let me know.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

Hi bsoriano

Unfortunately I haven't been on the forum for a while.

I was very happy to read your comments and was amazed that you even put time and effort into adding this feature. I tried to install the zip, but it seems my Kodi version is too old. I don't know where to find the version number but it gave me a reply similiar to that. I am running kodi on a Raspberry Pi. I guess I cant upgrade it any further? Would you be able to help me out to find a solution?

Cheers.

moses
(2021-08-07, 23:34)moserroger Wrote:
(2021-08-03, 18:35)bsoriano Wrote: @moserroger , have you been able to test the changes? Please let me know.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

Hi bsoriano

Unfortunately I haven't been on the forum for a while.

I was very happy to read your comments and was amazed that you even put time and effort into adding this feature. I tried to install the zip, but it seems my Kodi version is too old. I don't know where to find the version number but it gave me a reply similiar to that. I am running kodi on a Raspberry Pi. I guess I cant upgrade it any further? Would you be able to help me out to find a solution?

Cheers.

moses
@moserroger , while I do not know much about Raspberry Pi, Amber works both on Kodi Leia (18.x) and Matrix (19.x).  My understanding is that you can install either of those in a Raspberry Pi.  Once you have Kodi Leia or Matrix installed, you can install the Amber repository (https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/repo...-1.0.1.zip) for Leia, or the Amber repository for Matrix (https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/repo...-1.0.2.zip), and install Amber from there.  The changes for custom startup image(s) are already in the amber repo version, so you do not need to install the zip file I referenced in my previous post.

Please let me know how it goes.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
On the Pi it could be LibreElec, OSMC or on Raspbian. In all cases, when you first boot up you should get a splashscreen from the OS, followed by the Kodi one. The latter will tell you which version of Kodi you're running. Alternatively go to settings and then system info in Kodi and on the summary screen it should be listed under build info.

LE has a beta version available on the Pi4 with Matrix, and I think OSMC released one the other day as well.

The stable version of both, the versions for Pi2/3 and the version shipped in RaspberryPi OS are all Leia variants.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hello bsoriano

After a very long time I tried to come back to this question.

I once again tried to install the zip-File you added on your post of 2021 07 27. I don't remember how I tried to install it the last time. This time I used "install from zip file". Kodi gave me the following answer "amber - the dependency on xmbc.gui version 5.15.0 could not be satisfied".

Nothing changed regarding the skin. No new update. What could be the issue?

Thank you.

Cheers

moses
I'm horrible at using, customizing and understanding Kodi but I think your issue might be "dependencies".
(2022-05-08, 00:38)moserroger Wrote: Hello bsoriano

After a very long time I tried to come back to this question.

I once again tried to install the zip-File you added on your post of 2021 07 27. I don't remember how I tried to install it the last time. This time I used "install from zip file". Kodi gave me the following answer "amber - the dependency on xmbc.gui version 5.15.0 could not be satisfied".

Nothing changed regarding the skin. No new update. What could be the issue?

Thank you.

Cheers

moses

@moserroger , what version of Kodi are you using? What OS? If LibreELEC or OSMC, what version? That way I can direct you further on how to go about updating.  Please confirm.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to change startup image / Add fanart for music0