Add a film with multiple parts
I am trying to add the restored version of Abel Gance's Napoleon to my Kodi library.  This thing comes in three parts on 3 blu-rays and the film sections are named Napoleon Act 1, Napoleon Act 2 and 3, Napoleon Act 4.  In theory I could munge them together into one 5.5 hour epic but it is rather more convenient to have them in usable parts.  To add to the confusion there are actually two different versions Act 4 so if I merge the parts I end up with 2 5.5 hour films and space also starts to become an issue.

I can rip the metadata for the whole film from TMDB but that assumes it is one complete film whereas it is closer in structure to a TV Miniseries.  I can see two possible alternative approaches:

Scrape the film using one part.  Export the metadata to an nfo.  Clone the nfo with changed names to create 4 separately named movies, import the changed metadata from the .nfos, create a Napoleon movie set to keep the parts together.
Scrape the film using one part.  Export the metadata to an nfo.  Using a miniseries as a template craft episode .nfos for the parts.  Move the "episodes" into a TV Series name Napoleon and import the metadata there.

The former method is, I think, simpler and less error prome (I claim no special expertise in .nfo editing) but the requirement for a movie set seems rather clunky.  The latter method is more elegant but I end up with a film in with the TV Series which might cause me issues later if I forget myself during a library clean-up.

Digging around I found something called "stacking" but if I read it right I would still end up with a monolithic 5.5 hour film and it wasn't clear to me if I could use the same parts in more than one stack to get the version with the alternate ending without having to duplicate the whole film.

Ideas, comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.  The final fallback is to only watch this from a standalone bluray player but that does limit my options somewhat.
(2021-07-10, 20:57)leng Wrote: Scrape the film using one part.  Export the metadata to an nfo.  Clone the nfo with changed names to create 4 separately named movies, import the changed metadata from the .nfos, create a Napoleon movie set to keep the parts together.
Scrape the film using one part.  Export the metadata to an nfo.  Using a miniseries as a template craft episode .nfos for the parts.  Move the "episodes" into a TV Series name Napoleon and import the metadata there.
Due to the alternate endings, movie stacking would not be an option here.
Both methods achieve the same thing. The only drawback with Movie Sets is that you then have 4 listings of the same movie in the movie library.
With TV shows it is a single listing. I would use the TV Show method, but it is personal choice.
Read this to convert a movie to an episode... https://kodi.wiki/view/Convert_movie_to_episode
Also some template nfo files if you need them... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Templates
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add a film with multiple parts0