v19 Adding Music Video's to Kodi
Hi folks,
I haven't had any Music Videos in my Kodi set-up for a good couple of years or more, but added some a couple of days ago to test with Matrix. I still had the original NFO files created when I last had them in Kodi, so wasn't any need to use a scraper. Much to my surprise the first couple of artists videos were added to the music video library with no problem, including artist and album artwork, along with the metadata
However, I wanted to check when adding music video's manually like this how I should correctly configure the local artwork for each video. I followed the instructions listed here on Wiki (point 2)  for adding local artwork:-
https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_Video_artwork#Artist_Image

So, as an example I added a Robbie Williams video file like this:-
Robbie Williams - Angels.mp4
Robbie Williams - Angels-poster.jpg
Robbie Williams - Angels-icon.jpg
Robbie Williams - Angel-thumb.jpg

Poster = Artist thumb, Icon = Album Thumb and Thumb = Thumbnail image taken from the actual music image.

Like I said, the first 2 artists I added (Robbie Williams and U2) added all the music videos with the correct Artist and album thumbnail images along with the metadata. However, when I added a 3rd artist (4 Non Blondes), the video is added along with the thumb.jpg image and music video metadata, but no Artist or Album thumbnail or metadata is added. There does not seem to be an option anywhere I could find to manually select either of these artwork types or update the metadata using the metadata editor. I named this video in line with what the instructions on Wiki suggests. After much hunting around, I eventually came to the conclusion that the first 2 artists were added with no problem because the same artists and albums also exist in my music library.

Is this reasonable assumption? Is there no way to get around this if you have created a correct NFO file, named the music video file and artworks correctly? Or....Is there something I'm missing or have done incorrectly? I don't really want to use a Music Video scraper and quite happy to create an NFO file manually. As for artwork, I just want to see the following:-
1) Artist thumbnail (like in my music library)
2) Album thumbnail (Like in my music library)
3) Video thumbnail (like a Tv Episode thumbnail) 

Also, when reading the Wiki instructions for adding music video's it suggests that all video's should be added into a single folder and have the artwork types named correctly for each video (Point 1):-
Music_videos (wiki) 
This method does work, but would imagine it could become quite messy if you hundreds or thousands of music videos all in a single folder along with their associated artwork types. What I discovered is if you create individual artist folders in a root folder (Music Video's for example), this also works with no problem. Would imagine this method is more tidy and easier to locate files.

Anyway, if somebody could perhaps give me some guidance on where I'm going wrong here as it would be very much appreciated. 
Cheers
First, take care if you browse music videos in the "music" window or "videos"  window, as skins may show things differently.

The "artist" node for music video takes the artist data and art from the music library artist table.  The "album" node has no way to display any album info or art.  So for the artists,  the arttypes available are fanart and thumb as scraped by the music artist scrape process (uas or local nfo/artist info folder tree local art, typically).

For the actual music video, you can store any arttype, but what gets displayed is a feature of the skin in use.  So in theory you could define a musicvideo-cover.jpg, musicvideo-artist.jpg etc to get a cover and artist arttype, but I don't know of a skin that is set up to show those.

scott s.
(2021-07-19, 02:27)scott967 Wrote: The "artist" node for music video takes the artist data and art from the music library artist table.  The "album" node has no way to display any album info or art.  So for the artists,  the arttypes available are fanart and thumb as scraped by the music artist scrape process (uas or local nfo/artist info folder tree local art, typically).
Hi @scott967 
Thanks very much for the feedback. I meant to come back to you a lot sooner, but it kept slipping my mind. Since I've just added a couple of new music videos, it reminded me again to get back to you.
So, when I add music videos for an artist and album that already exist my music library, I do always get the same artist and album metadata that appears for the music library entries. If I then nail down further to a specific music video track on an album, I also get the music video song details as I tend to add this manually to the music video NFO file before updating the music video library.
The way I normally access my Music Videos is by pressing enter on the main Music Videos Home Menu item.
So everything is good and working, but I've noticed that when using the Info Wall view on Estuary, I'm not getting any album metadata. For every other music video view I do see this info. I tried to track down the specific line item on the Estuary skin, but wasn't able to locate it on the infowall.xml file. 
Also, I've noticed that when pressing enter on the Music Videos Home Menu Item, if I scroll down fairly quickly on the list of artists, Kodi always crashes.
At first, I thought both issues might be a result of my own skin mod of Estuary, but exactly the same thing occurs when using default Estuary skin.
I'm not sure if you're a Windows user like me, but if you are it be great if you could confirm that you are seeing the same behaviour occurring (on basis you some Music videos).
Cheers
(2021-11-08, 14:51)Dumyat Wrote: I've noticed that when using the Info Wall view on Estuary, I'm not getting any album metadata. For every other music video view I do see this info.

Yeah, I can confirm this.  I just get the "No information available" in the left hand pane.
(2021-11-08, 14:51)Dumyat Wrote: when pressing enter on the Music Videos Home Menu Item, if I scroll down fairly quickly on the list of artists, Kodi always crashes.

Shouldn't make it crash.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce that here.  Is that with "show all performers" enabled or not, or does that not make a difference?  Also, roughly how many artists are we talking here, I might not have enough on my test system to trigger it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Hi @black_eagle 
Well, very strange indeed. Kodi is no longer crashing in the way I described. The last time I noticed was early last week, but does not seem to be doing this now. Tried a few times today, but no crashes. Only difference in my set-up from last week is upgrading my TV panel. I can't imagine that has any bearing at all, so I guess whatever was causing these crashes has now fixed itself... Smile

Yeah, I couldn't track down the the exact line item on the info wall view that would fix the album metadata issue. I'm guessing whatever controls this item might be located elsewhere, maybe on the list view, but I didn't spend that much time looking. Plus I didn't want to end up breaking something on the music library.
Easy fix.  Open Skin Estuary MyVideoNav.xml in text editor and copy / paste the following after line 54  (should be "</control>")

Code:
<control type="textbox">
     <left>30</left>
     <top>240</top>
     <width>525</width>
     <bottom>100</bottom>
      <visible>String.IsEqual(ListItem.DBtype,album) + !String.IsEmpty(ListItem.Property(album_description))</visible>
      <label>$INFO[ListItem.Artist,[I],[/I][CR][CR]]$INFO[ListItem.Property(album_description)][CR][CR]</label>
      <autoscroll delay="10000" time="3000" repeat="10000">Skin.HasSetting(autoscroll)</autoscroll>
</control>

scott s.
@scott967 Thanks bud!  Needed to add an extra condition to stop the "no information available" label showing through but other than that works perfectly. TYVM.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Yes, forgot to do that.  Thanks

scott s.
Nice call guys.
All working on my installation as well now!  Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Music Video's to Kodi0