• 1(current)
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
To all Debian users! 

Kodi 19.1 and its binary add-ons are available in Debian's official repositories for buster-backports and bullseye!

The full list of available Kodi packages and its versions in Debian can be found on my DDPO status page

For Debian 11 "bullseye":

* To install Kodi, execute the following command in root terminal or shell:

apt-get install kodi

* To install Kodi addons (for example, kodi-pvr-iptvsimple), execute the following command in root terminal or shell:

apt-get install kodi-pvr-iptvsimple

For Debian 10 "buster":

* If you used my unofficial repository for Debian buster, please check the link again and follow the migration howto!

* To install Kodi from buster-backports cleanly (if no unofficial repo was used), execute the following command in root terminal or shell:

apt-get install {kodi,kodi-bin,kodi-data,kodi-repository-kodi,libspdlog1}/buster-backports

* To install Kodi addons from buster-backports (for example, kodi-pvr-iptvsimple), execute the following command in root terminal or shell:

apt-get install kodi-pvr-iptvsimple/buster-backports

WARNING: Do NOT use apt-get install -t buster-backports as it updates core packages like systemd or PulseAudio! See this or this issue for details!
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
Good afternoon,

I'm having some trouble with the fanart for movies and tv shows and wondering if this is because of a linux packaging issue? It seems that kodi for Debian 11 comes packaged with an old version of a scraper addon, but Kodi has also downloaded a newer version. Is it possible that this is why some additional functions (such as fanart.tv) isn't working?
(2021-08-13, 18:10)TheJezstarr Wrote: Good afternoon,

I'm having some trouble with the fanart for movies and tv shows and wondering if this is because of a linux packaging issue? It seems that kodi for Debian 11 comes packaged with an old version of a scraper addon, but Kodi has also downloaded a newer version. Is it possible that this is why some additional functions (such as fanart.tv) isn't working?

Hi!

What trouble, specifically? If you have some movie not scraped or scraped incorrectly, please give its name and Kodi debug log so I can check the log against the local clean container running Kodi 19.1.
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
(2021-08-13, 18:53)basilgello Wrote:

Hi!

What trouble, specifically? If you have some movie not scraped or scraped incorrectly, please give its name and Kodi debug log so I can check the log against the local clean container running Kodi 19.1.
No, it isn't a specific movie, no matter what I'm scanning, the clearart/logo/discart always returns no results.
(2021-08-13, 19:05)TheJezstarr Wrote:
(2021-08-13, 18:53)basilgello Wrote:

Hi!

No, it isn't a specific movie, no matter what I'm scanning, the clearart/logo/discart always returns no results.
Works for me! I did organize my movie library as per Kodi guidelines: https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies

Specifically, I do use "Movie Name (Year)" folders holding "movie.mkv" (or "movieA.mkv", "movieB.mkv" if movie spans across multiple files!) like mentioned in section 3 "Movie Folders" of the link above and have setting "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" set.

I am using a 'flat folder' for movies, but I don't understand how that interferes with fanart scraping. Kodi 18 worked fine, so it is only since the update.
Sorry for wasting your time, looks like another python conflict preventing the new python scraper from loading.
To be able to answer that question, turn on debug logging and try scraping your library with a new movie that obviously has more than one fanart on fanart.tv page (just like 'Hudson Hawk' has).
Then post Kodi log to https://paste.kodi.tv (please don't attach large logs here on the forum!)
Thanks; debug log showed it was a python error, which I have now fixed.
Sorry for wasting your time
Feel free to propose a fix on Github Smile
I'm afraid nothing so glamorous. Just an overlooked fight between python2 and python3 because I didn't clean all my libraries before the upgrade. I probably should have started there.
(2021-08-13, 20:43)TheJezstarr Wrote: I'm afraid nothing so glamorous. Just an overlooked fight between python2 and python3 because I didn't clean all my libraries before the upgrade. I probably should have started there.
That's why I installed bullseye from scratch this May or so... There was a silent corruption of ext4 root filesystem on 4.19 kernel @ buster so formatting the partition was needed anyway!
Hello,

I upgraded my system to bullseye last night. In the process I removed the kodi install I had, since it was causing issues with the upgrading process, and re-installed kodi. I discovered happily that it was now running 19.1, nice, thank you.

Unfortunately, while the machine ran fine all night with all the server stuff I run on it, when I started kodi this morning to watch a twitch stream, I got a system wide freeze after ~20min. I could not ssh to it, keyboard was not responding, I unfortunately had to manually turn it off and on again. A few hours later, I started kodi again, to watch the same twitch stream, and got a system wide freeze after ~30min. I also got a system freeze while not watching a stream but just when I was enabling debug logs...

System logs don't show anything peculiar around the time of the crash, except a bunch of ^@^@^@ in syslog.
kodi log doesn't show anything interesting either: https://lywenn.eu.org/kodi.log (with debug info turned on, less than 5minutes to get this system freeze, huh)

debian bullseye 11.0
kodi 19.1 from debian repo (5:19.1-dmo3)
linux 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03)

Intel celeron n3150 (asrock n3150 mini-itx)
16GB RAM
no dedicated gpu
plenty of hard drive available on all partitions

It seems to me that the system really doesn't crash, it just totally freezes... (deadlock in a driver?)
Hello,

I upgraded my system to bullseye last night. In the process I removed the kodi install I had, since it was causing issues with the upgrading process, and re-installed kodi. I discovered happily that it was now running 19.1, nice, thank you.

Unfortunately, while the machine ran fine all night with all the server stuff I run on it, when I started kodi this morning to watch a twitch stream, I got a system wide freeze after ~20min. I could not ssh to it, keyboard was not responding, I unfortunately had to manually turn it off and on again. A few hours later, I started kodi again, to watch the same twitch stream, and got a system wide freeze after ~30min. I also got a system freeze while not watching a stream but just when I was enabling debug logs...

System logs don't show anything peculiar around the time of the crash, except a bunch of ^@^@^@ in syslog.
kodi log doesn't show anything interesting either: https://paste.kodi.tv/ojajibejah.kodi (with debug info turned on, less than 5minutes to get this system freeze, huh)

debian bullseye 11.0
kodi 19.1 from debian repo (5:19.1-dmo3)
linux 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03)

Intel celeron n3150 (asrock n3150 mini-itx)
16GB RAM
no dedicated gpu
plenty of hard drive available on all partitions

It seems to me that the system really doesn't crash, it just totally freezes... (deadlock in a driver?)
@MsKlywenn You keep using Kodi from deb-multimedia.org ("5:19.1-dmo3"), which is not Kodi from Debian which I do maintain. DMO is maintained by Christian Marillat and he uses totally different set of patches tgat I don't share.

Please purge deb-multimedia repository from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.conf , uninstall Kodi via "apt-get autoremove kodi*", then install Kodi from Debian repository: "apt-get install kodi". Your Kodi profile will be preserved, so you dont have to recreate your library. Nevertheless I'd advise you to back Kodi profile folder (/home/msk/.kodi).

If the problem persists, we'll try another troubleshooting techniques.
Hello,
I switched to 2:19.1+dfsg2-2 and it didn't solve the problem. I tried erasing my .kodi folder and it didn't solve the problem either.
I installed netconsole to read the syslogs from another PC in case there was a kernel panic I was missing, no luck either :/
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread0