Stop Kodi from exiting on video error
When Kodi encounters a play error (for instance, incomplete local file or remote file not available) it exits completely and loses the current play list. I haven't been able to find an option for a 'play next on error' or something along those lines. I have run kodi on windows 8 and 10, Linux and various android devices and have not found a workaround to this problem. Thanks in advance for your advice. Sorry if this question has been asked, I didn't find it with a search.
Afaik, there is no such option. One solution of course is to not hand corrupted video or music files to Kodi. Unavailable files should simply be skipped.
(2021-07-20, 15:54)Klojum Wrote: Afaik, there is no such option. One solution of course is to not hand corrupted video or music files to Kodi. Unavailable files should simply be skipped.

Its impossible to know if youtube or other addon sources are going to send content in all instances.. and such a pain to have to reload kodi and items that were on the playlist in Kore or the web ui. VLC has an option to simply go on to the next item in case of error, kodi should too imho.
(2021-07-20, 18:23)amont Wrote: VLC has an option to simply go on to the next item in case of error, kodi should too imho.

It does, or at least it is _meant_ to skip unplayable items.  You will need to supply a link to a debug log on a paste site showing kodi crashing on one of these items for further assistance.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-07-20, 18:49)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-07-20, 18:23)amont Wrote: VLC has an option to simply go on to the next item in case of error, kodi should too imho.

It does, or at least it is _meant_ to skip unplayable items.  You will need to supply a link to a debug log on a paste site showing kodi crashing on one of these items for further assistance.
ok, i'll get one, thanks.
I'm running Kodi on an Android TV, so it's not easy to get a debug log; however, it's fairly straightforward to replicate the issue:
1- Have an external HDD with two partitions.
2- In Windows, create a shortcut to a video in one partition and put it in the other partition. Ensure the shortcut's full-name ends in a legit video extension (e.g. mkv).
3- Kodi exits playback mode when encountering the shortcut.
The two partition thingy may not be necessary at all, if this is simply a shortcut issue.
(2024-03-07, 18:22)k0000d11111 Wrote: so it's not easy to get a debug log; however

yes it actually is, follow the directions here Debug Log

(2024-03-07, 18:22)k0000d11111 Wrote: 3- Kodi exits playback mode when encountering the shortcut.
The two partition thingy may not be necessary at all, if this is simply a shortcut issue.

shortcuts are not playable files and kodi does not understand them, if they were created by windows then this is actually a .lnk file and your renaming it to .mkv is causing issues (or you don't have extensions turned on in windows and your file is actually .mkv.lnk which still won't work)
android is linux based and also does not understand windows shortcuts, if anything it would be a soft link but since you're a windows user i highly doubt the partitions are even EXT formatted
I know Linux doesn't understand Window's shortcuts, but should Kodi exit playback-mode if encountering such instance?
A user-friendly designer would say no.

Please stop using the condescending tone by the way. I did not ask you to fix the issue for me as a favor.
(2024-03-07, 18:41)k0000d11111 Wrote: Please stop using the condescending tone by the way. I did not ask you to fix the issue for me as a favor.

then please stop reporting non-issues ... "Kodi crashes if i rename a non-video file to .mkv and try to play it as if it were a video file"
Do you do anything besides this? I.e. do you actually fix bugs on Github or just like to make yourself involved with whatever's on the internet? Get a life man.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stop Kodi from exiting on video error0