What PC hardware needed for 4K rips playback?
I currently run an i7 2600k, with 8 gigs of ram and a GTX660. I've been having issues with my 4K rips some seem to constantly lock up. Yes they do have atmos tracks, but I played stuff with atmos before fine so I'm not sure what the issue is unless my hardare is too old to run this stuff? Any advice or ideas would be great cause I'm going nuts at this point trying to figure out the problem.
4K videos and their 'rips' are typically using the h265/HEVC video format. That format is not supported by video acceleration on your GTX660, so the i7 2600 has to step in. Unfortunately, CPUs are not nearly as efficient to handle today's video formats. So hiccups will appear as also audio streams need to be handled as sometimes converted. Proper hardware acceleration for h265/HEVC started with the GTX950+ series for Nvidia.

Nowadays, just about every new CPU can handle that format. The next-gen format AV1 is now the new challenger. Furthermore, it's not just the resolution of 4K. There is also the bit format (10bit, 12bits) as well as the latest craze, HDR, which comes is a variety of versions.

Some cheap Android boxes are set up to handle most/all of that video stuff, but if you are fixed on PC hardware, getting a new Intel CPU with internal graphics will get you a long way. AMD apu's can also do the job, but I have no firsthand experience with those (yet).

Which OS are you planning to use on the new hardware?

Specific lockups can only be investigated with a provided debug log (wiki). Hearsay doesn't help us.
(2021-07-31, 06:41)Klojum Wrote: 4K videos and their 'rips' are typically using the h265/HEVC video format. That format is not supported by video acceleration on your GTX660, so the i7 2600 has to step in. Unfortunately, CPUs are not nearly as efficient to handle today's video formats. So hiccups will appear as also audio streams need to be handled as sometimes converted. Proper hardware acceleration for h265/HEVC started with the GTX950+ series for Nvidia.

Nowadays, just about every new CPU can handle that format. The next-gen format AV1 is now the new challenger. Furthermore, it's not just the resolution of 4K. There is also the bit format (10bit, 12bits) as well as the latest craze, HDR, which comes is a variety of versions.

Some cheap Android boxes are set up to handle most/all of that video stuff, but if you are fixed on PC hardware, getting a new Intel CPU with internal graphics will get you a long way. AMD apu's can also do the job, but I have no firsthand experience with those (yet).

Which OS are you planning to use on the new hardware?

Specific lockups can only be investigated with a provided debug log (wiki). Hearsay doesn't help us.

I currently run windows 10 with it, I might be interested in the Android box but don't know much about those. What CPU would be good for something like this, I'm not looking to break the bank since this pc is made up of older spare parts. So if the Android set up would be even cheaper and get the job done I might be interested in that.
The more 'popular' solutions is a Raspberry Pi4 (2+GB) running LibreELEC, or a Vero 4K+ running OSMC. Both have continuous support.

Truely Android boxes can be found at most street corners, but not all of them have direct support. I haven't kept track on those types lately, so others will have to inform you on that.
(2021-07-31, 18:10)Klojum Wrote: The more 'popular' solutions is a Raspberry Pi4 (2+GB) running LibreELEC, or a Vero 4K+ running OSMC. Both have continuous support.

Truely Android boxes can be found at most street corners, but not all of them have direct support. I haven't kept track on those types lately, so others will have to inform you on that.

Think I might stick with the PC parts, Kaby Lake and up supports what I need right? Unless I read that wrong. Also can you set Kodi to use your CPU instead of the graphics card or should I just pull the card out all together?
(2021-08-01, 00:06)Bluevyper Wrote: Kaby Lake and up supports what I need right?

For default h.265/hevc that would be fine. For the more and more upcoming HDR content, I would suggest going Intel 9th gen CPU/GPU to avoid LSPCON converters, and use native HDMI 2.0 instead, as per this Intel pdf document. Intel 9th gen = Intel UHD 500 and upwards... But I'd go UHD 600 to be sure.

I have a Asrock J5005 mthrbrd which should be on the safe side, but other boards in the same series work via LSPCON. I cannot test HDR myself because I don't have a 4K HDR TV (yet). On the LibreELEC (=Linux) forum there is a thread for Intel HDR development, that would be good reading material for you.

I'm not a Windows user so I don't have much insight on possible HDR support for LSPCON hardware.

(2021-08-01, 00:06)Bluevyper Wrote: Also can you set Kodi to use your CPU instead of the graphics card or should I just pull the card out all together?

Sure, but h265/10bits(/hdr) can be quite the burden on a CPU when the bitrate goes up. A core i7 would be obligatory if you're going that way, as well as a slightly bigger wallet for the electricity usage.
(2021-08-01, 04:01)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-08-01, 00:06)Bluevyper Wrote: Kaby Lake and up supports what I need right?

For default h.265/hevc that would be fine. For the more and more upcoming HDR content, I would suggest going Intel 9th gen CPU/GPU to avoid LSPCON converters, and use native HDMI 2.0 instead, as per this Intel pdf document. Intel 9th gen = Intel UHD 500 and upwards... But I'd go UHD 600 to be sure.

I have a Asrock J5005 mthrbrd which should be on the safe side, but other boards in the same series work via LSPCON. I cannot test HDR myself because I don't have a 4K HDR TV (yet). On the LibreELEC (=Linux) forum there is a thread for Intel HDR development, that would be good reading material for you.

I'm not a Windows user so I don't have much insight on possible HDR support for LSPCON hardware.
(2021-08-01, 00:06)Bluevyper Wrote: Also can you set Kodi to use your CPU instead of the graphics card or should I just pull the card out all together?

Sure, but h265/10bits(/hdr) can be quite the burden on a CPU when the bitrate goes up. A core i7 would be obligatory if you're going that way, as well as a slightly bigger wallet for the electricity usage.

Ok maybe I'm getting a bit out of budget then, what would be recommended for bluray rips with atmos tracks, cause I've had those freeze up my system as well, which I attributed to the hardware being old. Also thank you so much for all the info so far its been incredibly helpful!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What PC hardware needed for 4K rips playback?0