AMD driver causes Kodi to crash when changing resolutions and switching monitors(KVM)
Hi. Encountered a slight problem, apart from Kodi having trouble finding much of my videos (Each install yields different scrapes), but that's not the issue right now, but whenever I switch monitor input, Kodi crashes which is very annoying.
Most of the times it's been busy adding/updating new media so it's probably corrupting the update, so to speak. Doesn't get to quite finish sometimes.

Don't think event logs would help much as I'm doing lots of stuff at different occasions, but what differs from before is that I have a "new" GPU, or rather a new PC altogether, but also this GPU (AMD Radeon Sapphire R280) is very good at detecting enabled/disabled monitors (I got 3), pretty much instantly and rearranges them and/or changes resolutions and Kodi gets confused and crashes because of this.

Also worth mentioning is that I use virtual desktops and Kodi normally resides in the second virtual desktop and I've never had any problems shifting between them.

Just when a monitor gets disconnected via KVM switch, or when I use Eyefinity (multiple monitors as a single one) it changes things quite a lot, and it's highly unstable for other apps, and I only use it for gaming (It's an hell of an experience!) as it rearranges defaulted screen areas to just about whichever monitor it feels like putting them afterwards.

Should also mention that I run Windows 10 Enterprise which resulted in drivers perhaps not being an exact match (Ran Driver booster which seem to have worked much better than my manual installs, the GPU in particular!), and it's basically a question of time before I have to re-install Windows again.

One of the problems I had, or still have for that matter, is that the integrated graphics card, Intel, uses the i5's GPU, does mess with Windows, letting it think that it has 2, sometimes 3 more monitors installed, which in turn screws with the positioning of the actually connected monitors, so every now and then I have to disable these in advanced settings to "remove from desktop", and once that is done, it finds the correct position again, or sometimes even the resolutions.

This setup is still new to me, and it's actually my first PC with UEFI BIOS too, and it does have a lot of settings that I'm unfamiliar with, so I have yet still a lot to learn about it and it's quirks.

Now, I'm curious to what the solution might be for this problem, inside Kodi? Don't know how it's supposed to handle these events, and if it's Windows that has become FUBAR in a way that would cause it to just crash like that.
Didn't have these problems before, but then I had an nVidia GeForce GTX 670 connected to a Dell PowerEdge 1950 through a PCI-e X1 extender, which used a both a KVM-Switch between the internal GPU (In case I got any errors and it was default at boot) and then a KVM extender.
Never had issues with Kodi crashing when fiddling with either resolutions or switching with the KVM-switch. Ran Windows Server 2019 for over a year on it.
Although, I only had one monitor, more or less. I did actually try with a second one with a long cable, and did have an issue with resolutions and display order, but can't recall Kodi crashing because of it.

So, any thoughts? Feel free to move this thread if it's misplaced.
Seems like I can't edit this post, so I'll add this post.
Title should've said "AMD driver causes Kodi to crash when changing resolutions and switching monitors (KVM)"
Quote:Don't think event logs would help much as I'm doing lots of stuff at different occasions...

I would tend to disagree. 
A debug log (wiki) could go a long way towards solving the issue(s).
You do mention quite a few things here EFI, GPU , virtual desktops; without a debug log (wiki) , we woud only be guessing.
(2021-08-02, 17:36)OTinley Wrote:
Quote:Don't think event logs would help much as I'm doing lots of stuff at different occasions...

I would tend to disagree. 
A debug log (wiki) could go a long way towards solving the issue(s).
You do mention quite a few things here EFI, GPU , virtual desktops; without a debug log (wiki) , we woud only be guessing.
Well, let's agree to disagree on that point.
Sure, it might shed some light on the matter, but then again I've changed the driver (Not in a while now since I posted this) a couple of times, as well as tried different configurations with my monitors (all VGA with DisplayPort and HDMI to VGA + DVI-D-adapters with mixed results due to glitching adapters), and Eyefinity activated intermixed to add layers to that cake.

Regardless, it would seem that Kodi has trouble with either resolutions changing or positioning of the monitors. I keep getting ghost monitors showing up in control panel from time to time, and once those are deactivated, the layout goes back to normal.
I've been playing a few games past week, of which some start at low-res and during loads between the game being initiated and from in-game movie clips to the actual game starting. Doom Eternal was behaving very strange with that. At some points it started at 640 x 480 at 4:3 ratio which probably had something to do with those ghost monitors in CP.

I think I might have to reinstall Windows soon since I think the install wasn't 100% successful (mainly the drivers for GPU, but also on-board functions not fully utilized/set correctly), but I also need to fix my RAID to include another disk.
(2021-08-05, 18:33)4c3T Wrote: Well, let's agree to disagree on that point.

We have no crystal ball here, and we have no way of reproducing your hardware/software situation on Kodi. The way you have now described the thread title, you make AMD the culprit of the problems. It would indeed not be the first time video drivers are having hiccups with multi-screen setups. Or, perhaps your KVM is not an innocent bystander?

In short: no debug log = no problem to solve. No matter how extensive your dissertation on your Kodi setup is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD driver causes Kodi to crash when changing resolutions and switching monitors(KVM)0