Confused by audio formats: 6.1 DTS HDMA ES
Evening, I am a bit confused by the audio capabilities. Specifically matching these three:
  • Movie with (as displayed by kodi) 6.1 DTS HDMA ES
  • Kodi audio settings: I enabled everything from DD, DD Plus, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD
  • Marantz 1508 receiver supporting Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master (not DTS:X)
Issue: sound initially played as "stereo". I am now able to either send it as pcm (4 speakers) or DD (when I set speakers in kodi to 2.0 and use transcoding). Just a bit puzzled why the receiver "just" doesn't receive a DTS signal. Receiver supports DTS HD MD master (DTS HDMA), so looked at the ES which adds the 6th channel: 6.1. Manual does include some info on DTS-ES and also a statement that DTS HD Master supports up to 8 channel however is fully compatible with 5.1 setups.

So yes I have been able to get 4 channels either via PCM or DD transcoding but puzzled why the DTS is not received and processed by the receiver. Would really like to understand this a bit better to see if I have everything set up ok. Was expecting it to receive DTS HDMA and then play on 4 speakers or take the "core" plain DTS from DTS HDMA and play that (as per the manual that states DTS HMDA has some kind of backwards compatibility to plain old DTS) . Really hoping someone can enlighten me.

Setup:
  • Marantz 1508 receiver with 4 speakers (front and rear both L and R)
  • OSMC vero 4K+ with Kodi
  • Connection via HDMI, kodi set to 4 speakers

Marantz 1508 Manual on DTS HD Master:
Quote:DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio format created by Digital Theater System (DTS). This format provides the facility to support up to 8 audio channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz/24 bit resolution and up to 6 audio channels with a sampling frequency of 192 kHz/24 bit resolution. It is fully compatible with conventional products, including conventional DTS digital surround 5.1-channel data.
Anyone please? Would really like to understand and learn.
What movie is it? I've never seen 6.1 in DTS-HD MA material.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Pass through enabled and sync payback to display disabled?
It's Lord of the Rings. Yes, Sync playback to display is disabled and passthrough is enabled.

Just made a debug log and think I found it! If I interpret correctly audio is aac and the track "name" is DTS HDMA / 6.1 ES, so no DTS at all...fooled by a label. sorry guys, mystery solved.

2021-08-28 18:17:11.111 T:2766 INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0xafe76d00X]: DURATION : 04:23:09.712000000
2021-08-28 18:17:11.111 T:2766 INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0xafe76d00X]: Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (LC), 48000 Hz, 7 channels, fltp (default)
2021-08-28 18:17:11.111 T:2766 INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0xafe76d00X]: Metadata:
2021-08-28 18:17:11.111 T:2766 INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0xafe76d00X]: title :   24-bit / DTS HDMA / 6.1-ES

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused by audio formats: 6.1 DTS HDMA ES0