Music Thumbs / file name customization via advancedsettings is not working on v19
In my music collection, for the cover art / front cover, I use a filename different from kodi's default. I use: "cover.front.jpg"
For ages, in every kodi build, I would just add this to advancedsettings.xml,

xml:
<musicthumbs>
<remove>folder.jpg</remove>
<add>cover.front.jpg</add>
</musicthumbs>

And my music could be imported, artwork included.

This is documented here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#musicthumbs

In a fresh install of kodi 19.1 this no longer works, I can see in kodi.log that the advancesettings.xml content is read without errors, I can see the musicthumbs tag in the log, however the cover files of the format cover.front.jpg are ignored.
After troubleshooting, I found that if I manually browse to Kodi's settings (Media > Music) then I can now see the list of filenames that Kodi looks for by default and I noticed immediately that the one that I added via advancedsettings.xml is NOT in that list. After manually adding it and rescanning the folder, now the artwork is found and displayed.

If any dev is around here, I wonder - did matrix disable the advancedsettings tag parsing since now this setting is accessible in the GUI? and they forgot to update the advancesettings wiki/documentation? I can report a bug in github if this behavior wasn't intended
(2021-08-04, 02:14)htpcero Wrote: If any dev is around here, I wonder - did matrix disable the advancedsettings tag parsing since now this setting is accessible in the GUI? and they forgot to update the advancesettings wiki/documentation?
Yes, the old advanced settings <musicthumbs> has been superseded in v19 by a GUI setting as part of the lastest art handling improvements. What could only be set using advancedsettings.xml can is now accessible via GUI and so of course, like all GUI settings, can also be done from advancedsettings.xml (and GUI setting gets hidden) but has a new xml tag name etc.

On updating Kodi the old advanced settings xml tag is used to populate the new setting, but after that it will be ignored as you discovered.

Not so much that I forgot to update wiki as simply don't have the time to do so. There is only one person that works on the wiki with any regularity (which is a pretty thankless task IMO, and so I see anything he does as a huge bonus) and he has not had time either. He also needs some input from me, and well that just hasn't happened yet.

Apologies if this caused you some confusion or wasted time, but it is just how it is.
(2021-08-04, 10:28)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2021-08-04, 02:14)htpcero Wrote: If any dev is around here, I wonder - did matrix disable the advancedsettings tag parsing since now this setting is accessible in the GUI? and they forgot to update the advancesettings wiki/documentation?
Yes, the old advanced settings <musicthumbs> has been superseded in v19 by a GUI setting as part of the lastest art handling improvements. What could only be set using advancedsettings.xml can is now accessible via GUI and so of course, like all GUI settings, can also be done from advancedsettings.xml (and GUI setting gets hidden) but has a new xml tag name etc.

On updating Kodi the old advanced settings xml tag is used to populate the new setting, but after that it will be ignored as you discovered.

Not so much that I forgot to update wiki as simply don't have the time to do so. There is only one person that works on the wiki with any regularity (which is a pretty thankless task IMO, and so I see anything he does as a huge bonus) and he has not had time either. He also needs some input from me, and well that just hasn't happened yet.

Apologies if this caused you some confusion or wasted time, but it is just how it is.

Thanks Dave! actually better that I ran into this scenario so it's documented here in the interim for anybody googling it. I can see now why my other systems picked up my old config but not this last one (Raspberry Pi4 + hifi audio card). I checked on github to see if the wiki is in it - to submit a pull request - but it doesn't seem to be.
Wiki updated with setting added to Removed Tags see https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings....moved_tags
Thanks @jjd-uk , might like to know that <artistextraart> and <albumextraart> are deprecated too for v19.

Now have GUI settings for artwork, no more having to add "fanart1", "fanart2"... "fanart20" etc. (which was an interim state for piciking up local artwork in v18).  Again migration  of old advancedsetting.xml entries to new GUI setting is done on updating Kodi version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Thumbs / file name customization via advancedsettings is not working on v190