Android No 4K, Atmos or HDR on Sony Bravia a80j
Hello,

I recently bought a Sony a80j with android 10. I thought this will support all the new stuff I needed (4K, HDR, Atmos) because I love cinema and have full home cinéma 5.1.2 Love
But, resolution is locked in 1080p, passthrough is activated but no dolby truehd available and I don't know how activate HDR if it's possible.

On htpc i have 4K and Atmos but no HDR (old graphic card).

Did I miss something like a new version available on store.
I have 19.1 version on Android 10 API level 29. Don't know if it's important Huh

Did I miss something?
Thanks to you if you have an answer Undecided
What's connected to the TV? As in av receiver? And what's the video source/s?
Also read this (Kodi interface should be locked to one resolution, that's normal):
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?u...source=app
(2021-08-11, 01:32)mulderfox Wrote: Also read this (Kodi interface should be locked to one resolution, that's normal):
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?u...source=app
Thx for replying.
So Kodi's interface is locked in 1080p but display 4k mkv in the good resolution? I can't display if it's really playing in 4k.

I have an AV receiver yes. No problem with my htpc to play all the movies I have in mkv. Except HDR like I said. I tried to play it with usb, lan or other reader, still nothing.
Kodi is full option on Windows. All I found say that android on TV is limited and Kodi as well. So sad..
Yes - Android TV on Sony TVs for Kodi use is very limited.  I'd always recommend using an external solution like an AMLogic based player running CoreElec, an nVidia Shield TV or an Apple TV 4K running MrMC (though there are audio limitations with the ATV 4K, and you only get a limited range of plugins with MrMC such as PVR Front-ends)

CoreElec on an ODroid C4 or N2+ (but beware Hardkernel's terrible warranties if you buy direct), or installed onto an S905X3 or S922X-based Android box (booting into CoreElec not Android) is the sweet spot for playback of SD, HD and UHD content in both SDR and HDR, including decent deinterlacing, and with all flavours of HD Audio bit streamed. It also supports full 23.976/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60Hz output refresh rate switching for optimum playback quality (all the Sony TVs I've seen so far run at a fixed 59.94Hz in their Android TV apps - terrible for European stuff)

The Shield TV will also give you that - but with DRMed apps for Netflix, Prime, Disney etc - with a workaround for refresh rate switching in the DRM sources (Kodi refresh switching works well 'out of the box').

I've not seen reports of Sony Android TVs outputting HD Audio bitstreamed via eARC. I guess it's not a mainstream requirement given that none of the major streaming platforms use HD Audio (most are DD, DD+ or DD+ with Atmos - none are using True HD or DTS HD AFAIK because the bitrates are so high. You could carry a reasonable quality H.265 1080p video stream in the bandwidth required to carry a complex True HD or DTS HD MA audio stream...)
from what I've read Sony Android TVs can ouput HD audio on the eARC HDMI but only from external devices connected to the other HDMI inputs, I don't think they support HD audio from the internal apps at they are primarily design around Netflix, Youtube, Disney+ type internal app usage which can do no better that Dolby Digital Plus.

As for HDR, the official Kodi app for Android only supports HDR10 via mp4 files only, there is no Dolby Vision support, however there is an experimental Dolby Vision mkv support using an unoffical community build from https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018
Thanks for all of this!
Sadly what you said is what I knew already. You confirmed my fear about using Sony tv as main core is not yet the good solution..
I will go back to my htpc and look for a new graphic card to play HDR and better games as well.
For internal apps like Netflix the tv is pretty good for the Dolby vision source and usefull for YouTube. I was surprised by the image quality but the sound is poor with compressed dd+.
I will maybe try the unofficial way to use Dolby vision source, thx.
I hope Dolby vision and HDR are fully support on Kodi's pc app. Without this graphic card I don't see HDR menu on windows witch is normal. But i don't see HDR menu in Kodi's app too. Maybe it appears when HDR is ready on PC?
Sorry for my English. I try to do my best without Google trad Confused
Thx for your answers Wink
(2021-08-13, 07:27)Kiki86 Wrote: Thanks for all of this!
Sadly what you said is what I knew already. You confirmed my fear about using Sony tv as main core is not yet the good solution..
I will go back to my htpc and look for a new graphic card to play HDR and better games as well.
For internal apps like Netflix the tv is pretty good for the Dolby vision source and usefull for YouTube. I was surprised by the image quality but the sound is poor with compressed dd+.
I will maybe try the unofficial way to use Dolby vision source, thx.
I hope Dolby vision and HDR are fully support on Kodi's pc app. Without this graphic card I don't see HDR menu on windows witch is normal. But i don't see HDR menu in Kodi's app too. Maybe it appears when HDR is ready on PC?
Sorry for my English. I try to do my best without Google trad Confused
Thx for your answers Wink

Last time I checked you won't get Dolby Vision support in Windows or Linux - only HDR10 (and possibly HLG in Linux)

I don't think you get additional menu options with HDR (HDR10, HDR10+, DV and HLG) and Rec 2020 Wide Colour Gamut support in Kodi - it just uses it if it's there.

Worth remembering that 'HDR' isn't a single thing - and is often interpreted to mean Rec 2020 Wide Colour Gamut (which itself isn't HDR) as well as the three or four flavours of HDR (HLG, HDR10, HDR10+ and DV) in terms of the way HDR Dynamic Range and metadata (if used) are signalled.  There is also the little talked about PQ10 standard (which is what a lot of TVs do with HDR10 - i.e. ignore the static MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No 4K, Atmos or HDR on Sony Bravia a80j0