KODI - Bookmarks via source file
Hi there,

I've got a NAS which stores my Music / Video library using KODI on a Sony Android TV as a neat way to access these files. One category of such files are Live-Concerts. But it does not seem (to me at least) an easy way to provide a .txt file next to the .mp4 with a track-list that KODI could interpret and use as a source for bookmarks.
Is there an easy way to generate those Bookmarks?

I don't want to fiddle with the TV-remote (or keyboard) to write data to an internal database of KODI where i can no longer access these files (loss of work if anything should happen).

Thank you
(2021-08-13, 19:55)Warcresht Wrote: But it does not seem (to me at least) an easy way to provide a .txt file next to the .mp4 with a track-list that KODI could interpret and use as a source for bookmarks.
There is no way to do this.

Your only option is to embed the chapters into your video file, then Kodi will read the chapters on start of playback. MKVToolNix can embed those in mkv files.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Not officially supported but should help to do something similar to what you requested.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...=cuesheets
(2021-08-13, 21:53)LongMan Wrote: Not officially supported but should help to do something similar to what you requested.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...=cuesheets

I tried cue-sheets but it does not seem to be recognized by kodi for mp4-videos. I've been using them for wave for a while now
(2021-08-13, 21:01)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-08-13, 19:55)Warcresht Wrote: But it does not seem (to me at least) an easy way to provide a .txt file next to the .mp4 with a track-list that KODI could interpret and use as a source for bookmarks.
There is no way to do this.

Your only option is to embed the chapters into your video file, then Kodi will read the chapters on start of playback. MKVToolNix can embed those in mkv files.
Thanks, will look into it. (I really do prefer ascii files over any software manipulating the original file)
I guess in theory you could treat your concert as a "tv show" then each part is an "episode" in a multi-episode video file.  Then you can create episode bookmarks but that can only be done within Kodi.  You can export it to a utf-8 file (which might be ascii equivalent, depending) but I don't think you can use that nfo export to set the episode bookmarks elsewhere.

This has the advantage of seeing the concert "parts" as library entries.  Chapters only show up when actually playing a video file.  But you lose the ability to get artist info from the corresponding artist in the music library, and there is no concept of "album" (though that might not matter for concerts).

scott s.
@Warcresht,
Quote:You must add .mkv and .mp4 file types (and any other video file types) to the audio files supported by Kodi:

<musicextensions>
  <add>.mkv|.mp4</add>
</musicextensions>

Add this to your advancedsettings.xml in your userdata folder.
(2021-08-14, 23:29)scott967 Wrote: I guess in theory you could treat your concert as a "tv show" then each part is an "episode" in a multi-episode video file.  Then you can create episode bookmarks but that can only be done within Kodi.  You can export it to a utf-8 file (which might be ascii equivalent, depending) but I don't think you can use that nfo export to set the episode bookmarks elsewhere.

This has the advantage of seeing the concert "parts" as library entries.  Chapters only show up when actually playing a video file.  But you lose the ability to get artist info from the corresponding artist in the music library, and there is no concept of "album" (though that might not matter for concerts).

scott s.
I'm really no fan of this "within kodi"-thing. That's the first thing that gets lost, and to enter these information is just a hassle (on an android TV). On the rest, i'm not sure if truly understood it, I think i need to spent some time on google and the wiki.
(2021-08-15, 13:47)LongMan Wrote:
Quote:You must add .mkv and .mp4 file types (and any other video file types) to the audio files supported by Kodi:

<musicextensions>
  <add>.mkv|.mp4</add>
</musicextensions>

Add this to your advancedsettings.xml in your userdata folder.
And this will make Kodi recognize .mp4-files displaying in the music library interpreting cuesheets to display each track as separate and will automatically jump to the desired track? like in an .flac for albums?
(2021-08-13, 21:01)Karellen Wrote: Your only option is to embed the chapters into your video file, then Kodi will read the chapters on start of playback. MKVToolNix can embed those in mkv files.

I tried that, while VLC recognizes these chapters, Kodi (19.1 Matrix) is completely unaware that these chapters even exist.
(2021-08-19, 17:27)Warcresht Wrote: I tried that, while VLC recognizes these chapters, Kodi (19.1 Matrix) is completely unaware that these chapters even exist.
It works for me.

At the top of the screen there is a chapter counter- 01/21. Along the timeline you can see the little white chapter markers...

If you open the Bookmarks dialog, then you see an expanded view of both stream chapters and user created chapters...
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-08-19, 16:17)Warcresht Wrote: And this will make Kodi recognize .mp4-files displaying in the music library interpreting cuesheets to display each track as separate and will automatically jump to the desired track? like in an .flac for albums?

According to the thread I linked above, yes.
I give up, I tried the MKVToolNix-thing and the advancedsettings.xml, nothing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI - Bookmarks via source file0