Kodi .... Bit Perfect
All serious enthousiasts, music lovers and audiophiles we know there is a very big problem with Android OS.The problem is that no matter what sound quality is playing on the Android OS the operating system will ALWAYS resample it to 16bit/48khz.This resample "changes" the quality of the sound and the "colourization" from a little bit to very much, depending on the audio equipment.

I strongly believe if kodi finds a way to deliver Bit Perfect sound, a way to avoid the mandatory resample Android OS forces, then the sound quality will improve a lot and home theatre enthousiasts together with audiophiles will start using kodi a lot more.

I don't use kodi for music on any of my Android devices (Sony TV, Shield, Mi Box, Smartphone) because of the resample thingie.

Also a better implementation of Tidal, Spotify and Qobuz steaming services on kodi would be mostly appreciated if kodi supported Bit Perfect sound.

Thanks and take care!
I you want bit perfect music then avoid Android as from what I iunderstand there's no way to avoid the Audiotrack black box where we have zero control over what happens in the black box.
(2021-08-14, 15:50)jjd-uk Wrote: I you want bit perfect music then avoid Android as from what I iunderstand there's no way to avoid the Audiotrack black box where we have zero control over what happens in the black box.
And I guess trying to "roll your own" driver direct to a USB DAC is hardware constrained, i.e., specific to the exact hardware.  Maybe iOS has the edge here?

scott s.
is there a kodi replacement on android TV that can achieve bit perfect playing? and easy to use with a remote ?
Bit perfect is simply not possible on Android
the internal player of zidoo android tv box is capable of playing source in it's original sample rate. unfortunately the internal player is very hard to use in other aspects. is there anything kodi can do to bypass android's mixer like zidoo did?
it seems that some players (eg. Poweramp,Neutron) on android os can do the job:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2925666

i sincerely hope kodi could make some efforts to address this issue. thanks.
(2021-08-28, 07:46)ylliatte Wrote: i sincerely hope kodi could make some efforts to address this issue

At this moment Team Kodi does not have a main developer for Android.
So I'm afraid you will have to put your hopes on hold for now.
run some tests today: 
enviroment: zidoo x20 connected to pioneer av receiver via hdmi, the android os version is 7.1.1
1, poweramp: failed. everything is 48khz again. guess it would take a external usb dac to achieve bit perfect.
2, Neutron player: succeeded. everything under 192khz is played correctly without resampling. dsd files will be converted to pcm, though. you have to enable "Hi-Res Codec" and "Follow Source Frequncy" in neutron's settings first. since my av receiver cannot display bit depth info, i'm not sure if this is "bit perfect", but the sample rate is correct and it's good enough for me. 

so, it seems there is possiblity to solve the problem. i hope either kodi or android will fix this soon.
(2021-08-28, 07:46)ylliatte Wrote: it seems that some players (eg. Poweramp,Neutron) on android os can do the job:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2925666

i sincerely hope kodi could make some efforts to address this issue. thanks.

You keep asking for this probably because you lack the deeper understanding of the Android OS. A general solution simply isn't possible because even though Android runs on all those devices you mentioned, it runs in a different way on each device. Android was devised as "lowest common denominator" kind of OS. As such it will only provide a given set of fixed capabilities on each device, no matter the hardware. It is up to the hardware vendor to extend Android and provide more capabilities on top for their specific hardware. Even then, the basic sound capabilites of Android are different for each version, i.e. lower Android versions have less capabilites than higher versions.

That said, it would be impossible for a software like Kodi to provide a general bitperfect solution. You usually get resampling to 16/48. It might only be possible for specific devices but you'd need Android driver support. Your best bet is to change to a parallel OS like LibreElec or CoreElec.

@wxrtasy might know more.
i don't understand. neutron player is a third party app just like kodi . if they can do it, why can't kodi?
because kodi doesn't implement vendor specific quirks and workarounds, we use the official android API.
(2021-08-31, 06:48)wsnipex Wrote: because kodi doesn't implement vendor specific quirks and workarounds, we use the official android API.

Hi wsnipex,

Thanks a lot for this clarification. 
I, indeed, am almost sure taht the bitperfect hing is not a limitation from Android that can not be circumvented. 
Indeed, I have several Android powered devices that can deliver "bitperfect" output : the same sampling rate as the original file "on the fly". 
On some devices (Xiaomi mi 11) the output is set to original by itself. 
On some devices, you need to use specific players like USB Player Pro (UAPP). 

So I know something can be done to have original output sound on Android. 

And now that you answered, we know the reason : KODI team does not "implement" that feature and probably for a good reason (compatibulity I assume). 

And so we know it is not a limitation from Android that cannot be bypassed as some others falsely reported here. 

Regards.
(2021-08-31, 06:48)wsnipex Wrote: because kodi doesn't implement vendor specific quirks and workarounds, we use the official android API.
Is it possible to implement quirks and workarounds by implementing custom Kodi plugin or all audio interaction is in Kodi Core which uses Android API and there is no way to bypass it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi .... Bit Perfect0