Solved Need help to take over ownership and publish addon
I'm trying to publish a Kodi-19 version of script-module-kodi65. The original owner, Philipp Temminghof (kodi65), is listed as retired and has not responded to several notes. His last post was in 2017, as far as I can tell. scott967 made some updates for matrix as well as a minor new feature that he required. I made some additional changes required by Kodi api changes, etc.. I am willing to take over ownership of this addon. How is the transfer of ownership done?

I am ready to publish and I am hitting some snags. This is my first publish, I have used git for a while, but I am no wizard. I have never done a PR.

The source is at: https://github.com/fbacher/script.module.kodi65 Branch ready to publish, with one commit is Matrix-RC1. It was forked from scott967/script.module.kodi65, which was forked from phil65/script.module.kodi65.

After I created my Matrix-RC1 branch mentioned above, I am following the instructions https://kodi.wiki/view/Submitting_Add-ons. I am currently doing steps outlined in the matrix CONTRIBUTING.md.
  1. I forked the kodi script repository on my github account
  2. The configure remote step, referencing a github article did not make much sense to me, since the bash script steps below it explicitly specify adding upstream as a remote
  3. I carried out the bash script steps: clone my github fork of kodi-script; git remote add upstream ...xbmc/repo-scripts.git
  4. I went ahead and did the steps under ' If you cloned a while ago, get the latest changes from upstream': Things went fine until I did get merge upstream/master. Here I got a merge conflict over targets.cfg, which apparently added support for nexus. I assume that I can ignore this, since my changes will be in a sub-directory.
  5. in the above steps in 4) I assumed that "Make sure you are on your 'master' branch, was literally, the master branch, while "git merge upstream/master" was meant to be "git merge upstream/matrix"
  6. The next steps is where I got lost. Am I to create a temp branch to copy the contents of my Matrix-RC! branch from my repository? This doesn't seem right, since this would break git history, right? Am I to use SubTrees or SubModules?
I'm obviously mixed up here. Forgive my ignorance. “Landru! Help me! Help me!”
I think I can answer my own question about how to copy code into the branch.

The lack of .git in each of the addon folders indicates that I am simply to copy my addon-script without any git info into it, which is what the instructions appear to indicate. I will proceed to do that.I think I can answer my own question.
The lack of .git in each of the addon folders indicates that I am simply to copy my addon-script without any git info into it, which is what the instructions appear to indicate. I will proceed to do that.

I still need to figure out what to do about ownership, but I suspect that will be resolved during the PR process.
I suspect this issue will play out more and more over time as older addons will have requests to become Kodi 19 compatible and prior authors have abandoned them.  New coders may be willing to take on some of the migration efforts.  I've been helping a couple of authors with the migration efforts.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2021-08-16, 16:32)jbinkley60 Wrote: I suspect this issue will play out more and more over time as older addons will have requests to become Kodi 19 compatible and prior authors have abandoned them.  New coders may be willing to take on some of the migration efforts.  I've been helping a couple of authors with the migration efforts.

Jeff
I think @enen92  is the manager for this.   I think the way to manage this is
1.  Fork the original phil65 repo to your account.
2.  Compare what is in the master branch of your fork to what is in kodi repo-scripts krypton branch (should be identical but might be a difference)
3  Create a new feature branch on your fork based on master with correct name per the script dev readme.
4.  Push your commits onto this branch, then squash to a single commit.
5.  PR this branch commit to kodi repo.scripts matrix branch.

scott s.
Thanks for your interest and for taking the add-on back to life. Usually if the add-on author has explicitly allow someone else to take over, or if is MIA for too long (as the case of Phil) add-on Devs are free to take over.
Generally there aren't many rules to follow, the only one is basically a respect rule: keeping part of the credits to the original author. So what we normally ask is for the one that takes over the add-on to add him/herself as an author after the original author in addon.xml. The add-on source tag in addon.xml should also point to the new upstream repository (your GitHub repo in this case). This info is linked on the wiki and Kodi website and allows others to contribute to your add-on instead of being confused by the old source code repository.

This add-on however has a small issue. It has "Kodi" on the name and on the id. We usually only allow Kodi/XBMC naming on add-ons provided or maintained by team Kodi itself. I am wondering if you are willing to change the add-on name and add-on id? What problems would that cause for you?

Supposing your script or skin uses this module as a dependency in both Leia and matrix, you'd have to submit to both branches in repo-scripts. That means theoretically a new submission to a repo branch/Kodi version where we don't allow new addons (Leia). However, we can grant an exception for you.

Let me know if you need help

Regards
(2021-08-17, 12:52)enen92 Wrote: ...

This add-on however has a small issue. It has "Kodi" on the name and on the id. We usually only allow Kodi/XBMC naming on add-ons provided or maintained by team Kodi itself. I am wondering if you are willing to change the add-on name and add-on id? What problems would that cause for you?

Supposing your script or skin uses this module as a dependency in both Leia and matrix, you'd have to submit to both branches in repo-scripts. That means theoretically a new submission to a repo branch/Kodi version where we don't allow new addons (Leia). However, we can grant an exception for you.

Let me know if you need help

Regards
I will make the suggested changes.
I am proposing to change name to script.module.utils. I can't say I like the name because it is generic and seems to promise a lot, but I haven't come up with a better one. I have gone ahead and changed the names of a few dialog script files to conform to this proposed name. Other add-ons will still import from "kodi65" I'm tempted to change, but is it worth it?
(2021-08-17, 19:30)fbacher Wrote: I am proposing to change name to script.module.utils. I can't say I like the name because it is generic and seems to promise a lot, but I haven't come up with a better one. I have gone ahead and changed the names of a few dialog script files to conform to this proposed name. Other add-ons will still import from "kodi65" I'm tempted to change, but is it worth it?
I don't have any ideas on naming, but if you do keep all the functionality of kodi65 I can update extendedinfo script accordingly and test/submit PRs against your repo.  My excuse is that I didn't want to understand all the logic/code in either kodi65 or extendedinfo (I personally only use a few features, and just test it enough in the context of the skin I maintain) I just wanted to get it working in Matrix so I could release my skin.

I don't know what other addons have dependency on kodi65.  Probably worth checking that out (I don't know a good way to do that).

scott s.
I believe that I have made all of the requested changes from my first PR review. As a consequence, I recreated my repo-scripts branch using subtree merge of my repository. A new PR has been opened 2099. I am afraid that this probably creates a lot of duplicate work for the reviewer(s), but I think that over time this will pay off.

I think that I did stumble upon a fix for a longstanding problem causing Kodi to abruptly crash due to a known issue with numpy not being able to be reloaded in an embedded python environment. Numpy was being drug in due to PIL import, but numpy is not a hard requirement. I simply forced numpy to not be loaded by use of sys.module['numpy'] = None

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help to take over ownership and publish addon0