White's To Bright/Clipped on Ghostbusters 4k
In anticipation of Ghostbusters Afterlife I decided to upgrade my copy of the original Ghostbusters (1984) to the 4k.  I make an MKV of the disc.  When I play back the mkv of the movie in Kodi portions of the film with bright whites blow out details (white clipping?)
This is notable ½ though the movie when streaks of magenta light are supposed to be flying around the Empire State building. The background of the city skyline is very bright and white and this detail is simply gone. Near the end of the move when the Ghostbusters are on the top of the apartment building there are a lot of bright flashes and the character’s faces momentarily wash out almost completely.  This mkv file plays back correctly in VLC player but not Kodi.

I have read some older threads about similar problems in older versions that required switching the rendering to “software” in the player settings render simply gives me a grayed out “automatic”. I have disabled some of the options under that section with no change.

Here is what I am running
            8 x core Ryzen 7
            16 GB RAM
            GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, driver just reports as “nvidia”
            Ubuntu 20.04.2
            Kodi 19.1

I have tried it on two different 4k displays and had the same results, looks good in VLC player but not Kodi.   Thanks to all in advance for their advice!
(2021-08-18, 04:29)etgadsby Wrote: In anticipation of Ghostbusters Afterlife I decided to upgrade my copy of the original Ghostbusters (1984) to the 4k.  I make an MKV of the disc.  When I play back the mkv of the movie in Kodi portions of the film with bright whites blow out details (white clipping?)
This is notable ½ though the movie when streaks of magenta light are supposed to be flying around the Empire State building. The background of the city skyline is very bright and white and this detail is simply gone. Near the end of the move when the Ghostbusters are on the top of the apartment building there are a lot of bright flashes and the character’s faces momentarily wash out almost completely.  This mkv file plays back correctly in VLC player but not Kodi.

I have read some older threads about similar problems in older versions that required switching the rendering to “software” in the player settings render simply gives me a grayed out “automatic”. I have disabled some of the options under that section with no change.

8 x core Ryzen 7
            16 GB RAM
            Ubuntu 20.04.2
            Kodi 19.1

I have tried it on two different 4k displays and had the same results, looks good in VLC player but not Kodi.   Thanks to all in advance for their advice!
I wrote this last night when I was very tired here is what I hope is a clearer description of the problem: 

"In anticipation of “Ghostbusters Afterlife” I decided to upgrade my copy of the original “Ghostbusters” (1984) to the 4k Blu-ray. 

I created an MKV file of the movie with MakeMKV and put it into Kodi on my HTPC. When I play back the movie in Kodi portions of the film with bright whites in them “blow out” portions of the picture. I am not an expert but I believe I am seeing white clipping.

Examples of this:
  • ½ though the move streaks of magenta light are supposed to be shown flying around the Empire State building. The background of the city skyline is very bright and white and this detail is simply gone.
  • Near the end of the move when the Ghostbusters are on the top of the apartment building there are a lot of bright flashes and the character’s faces momentarily wash out almost completely during these.  
This mkv file plays back correctly in VLC player but not Kodi.

I have read some older threads about similar problems in older versions of Kodi that required switching the rendering to “software” in the player settings. For me that section of the settings simply gives the text “automatic” and is grayed out. I have disabled some of the options under that section with no change.  

I have not had an opportunity to look the other 4k movies in my library. I have tried it on two different 4k displays and had the same results, looks good in VLC player but not Kodi.   Thanks to all in advance for their advice!

My setup:
            8 x core Ryzen 7
            GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, driver just reports as “nvidia” connected to 4k display/tv via HDMI
            Ubuntu 20.04.2
            Kodi 19.1
(2021-08-18, 15:29)etgadsby Wrote:
(2021-08-18, 04:29)etgadsby Wrote: In anticipation of Ghostbusters Afterlife I decided to upgrade my copy of the original Ghostbusters (1984) to the 4k.  I make an MKV of the disc.  When I play back the mkv of the movie in Kodi portions of the film with bright whites blow out details (white clipping?)

8 x core Ryzen 7
            16 GB RAM
            Ubuntu 20.04.2
            Kodi 19.1

I wrote this last night when I was very tired here is what I hope is a clearer description of the problem: 

"In anticipation of “Ghostbusters Afterlife” I decided to upgrade my copy of the original “Ghostbusters” (1984) to the 4k Blu-ray. 

I created an MKV file of the movie with MakeMKV and put it into Kodi on my HTPC. When I play back the movie in Kodi portions of the film with bright whites in them “blow out” portions of the picture. I am not an expert but I believe I am seeing white clipping.

Examples of this:
  • ½ though the move streaks of magenta light are supposed to be shown flying around the Empire State building. The background of the city skyline is very bright and white and this detail is simply gone.
  • Near the end of the move when the Ghostbusters are on the top of the apartment building there are a lot of bright flashes and the character’s faces momentarily wash out almost completely during these.  
This mkv file plays back correctly in VLC player but not Kodi.

I have read some older threads about similar problems in older versions of Kodi that required switching the rendering to “software” in the player settings. For me that section of the settings simply gives the text “automatic” and is grayed out. I have disabled some of the options under that section with no change.  

I have not had an opportunity to look the other 4k movies in my library. I have tried it on two different 4k displays and had the same results, looks good in VLC player but not Kodi.   Thanks to all in advance for their advice!

My setup:
            8 x core Ryzen 7
            GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, driver just reports as “nvidia” connected to 4k display/tv via HDMI
            Ubuntu 20.04.2
            Kodi 19.1

So I think I got this fixed. I looked under the settings of the movie while it was playing back. Turning off "Tone Mapping" fixed the issue and also cleared up some of the picture grain.  I understand this is a 4K scan of 35 MM film and a fair amount of grain is to be expected but it's nice to see a bit reduced. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
White's To Bright/Clipped on Ghostbusters 4k0