WIP Movie Quiz 2.0 - v19 Matrix
I made some major updates to the original Movie Quiz addon by @twinther, as he seems to have abandoned the project. Link to original thread here.

Summary of the changes I've made so far:
  • it now works on Kodi 19 - Matrix (python3 conversion, removed deprecated Kodi API calls)
  • removed score-keeping stuff and other features I considered to be non-essential
  • new settings to configure how long the movie clip should play for, as well as the min and max % to start playing from

There's still a lot to be done and I'll do what I can this week, but school starts on Monday so after this week there probably won't be much progress until December. That said, if you have feature requests or bug reports then please post them here or open a new issue on GitHub.

I may submit this to the official Kodi addon repo if I can get it working really well. However, I'm honestly not sure how dedicated I am to this project - it depends on how much school/work gets in the way Smile

GitHub Source code here.
(2021-08-26, 07:21)seveerekaj Wrote: I made some major updates to the original Movie Quiz addon by @twinther, as he seems to have abandoned the project. Link to original thread here.

Summary of the changes I've made so far:
  • it now works on Kodi 19 - Matrix (python3 conversion, removed deprecated Kodi API calls)
  • removed score-keeping stuff and other features I considered to be non-essential
  • new settings to configure how long the movie clip should play for, as well as the min and max % to start playing from
There's still a lot to be done and I'll do what I can this week, but school starts on Monday so after this week there probably won't be much progress until December. That said, if you have feature requests or bug reports then please post them here or open a new issue on GitHub.

I may submit this to the official Kodi addon repo if I can get it working really well. However, I'm honestly not sure how dedicated I am to this project - it depends on how much school/work gets in the way Smile

GitHub Source code here.

Thank you
(2021-08-27, 07:11)melons2 Wrote:
(2021-08-26, 07:21)seveerekaj Wrote:  made some major updates to the original Movie Quiz addon by @twinther, as he seems to have abandoned the project. Link to original thread here.
@seveerekaj  Thank you so much for your work. This is one of my favourite addons so please go on.
NUC6CAYH 4 GB RAM  Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz Intel HD Graphics 500 Intel Corporation Device [8086:5a85] (rev 0b)
Kodi 19.3 on libreelec 10.0
Aeon MQ 8 multimod v19 for matrix, SuperFavourites, MovieQuiz, ExtendedInfoScript, CinemaVision,
@seveerekaj 
 And to keep you motivated: (My programming skills are very limited. I forked your moviequiz because for example i would like to see the original filmstrip when addon starts and i m not realy shure why you dropped tv shows -allthough there are verry limited-. So i try a little. As im just learning git and github i do not know how to contribute this little snippet which solves the changelog problem in gui.py through git so i post it here.
in gui.py on line 272 you have:
Code:
f = open(os.path.join(ADDON.getAddonInfo('changelog'))) #todo: this didn't work
Documentation
says getAddonInfo(property) returns property as a string but i think we need a path here. Tried to rename file changelog.txt to changelog because the property we are asking for is changelog but no succes. So i decided to do it like as about and so i changed the line to:
Code:
f = open(os.path.join(ADDON.getAddonInfo('path'), 'changelog.txt'))
and that does work
NUC6CAYH 4 GB RAM  Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz Intel HD Graphics 500 Intel Corporation Device [8086:5a85] (rev 0b)
Aeon MQ 8 multimod v19 for matrix, SuperFavourites, MovieQuiz, ExtendedInfoScript, CinemaVision,
(2021-08-27, 15:40)slahrellek Wrote: ...i would like to see the original filmstrip when addon starts
My goal is to make the addon faster and more snappy. In my opinion, the film strip at the beginning was an unnecessary delay. I also removed several of the GUI animations for the same reason. However, if you like the opening film strip then I'm sure others do as well - maybe I'll put an option in the settings to enable/disable it.
And actually now that I think about it, that film strip might need to show while the addon loads the previously-downloaded IMDB data. That part is still not working so I don't know just how long it will actually take to load that stuff.

(2021-08-27, 15:40)slahrellek Wrote: and i m not realy shure why you dropped tv shows
I did that by mistake. When I refactored the main menu code I somehow removed the TV Show game launcher. Don't worry though, I think I've got it working now, I just need to test it. I'll post here when its working and uploaded to GitHub (hopefully tonight?)

(2021-08-27, 15:40)slahrellek Wrote: in gui.py on line 272 you have:
Code:
f = open(os.path.join(ADDON.getAddonInfo('changelog'))) #todo: this didn't work
Documentation
says getAddonInfo(property) returns property as a string but i think we need a path here. Tried to rename file changelog.txt to changelog because the property we are asking for is changelog but no succes. So i decided to do it like as about and so i changed the line to:
Code:
f = open(os.path.join(ADDON.getAddonInfo('path'), 'changelog.txt'))
and that does work
Thanks for your input. I also tried that and found that it worked, but then I found that the changelog is actually deprecated according to the wiki.
So instead I've switched to using the <news> tag in addon.xml. The "about" and "changelog" menu items will be removed in the next release.
TV Shows Quiz is now working again. Download the latest release on GitHub
@seveerekaj 
Quote:My goal is to make the addon faster and more snappy. In my opinion, the film strip at the beginning was an unnecessary delay. I also removed several of the GUI animations for the same reason. However, if you like the opening film strip then I'm sure others do as well - maybe I'll put an option in the settings to enable/disable it.
Wink Ah these young people. Always in a hurry and can not wait.
Remember the roaring lion at the beginning of every movie by studio MGM? He is a good friend of mine and do not call him an unnecessary delay. He might get angry and bite you.
So if you could bring back my good friend film strip by making it configurable would be awesome.
Im not exactly shure which GUI animations you have removed and I might be wrong but I feel that you kind of speeded up the building of the "posterwall" ( the background of the main menue). If so (and again I am not sure) I would like to see this reverted back (or also to be configurable) for this reason: when years ago I started the app for the first time it was "wow this is not some static jpeg. Its the programm that builds it up by the posters in my library. Wow thats cool this is great developer and its amazing what can be done with kodi". And this feeling is still here every time I start the app. But to get this feeling the building of the posterwall needs the animation. The film-strip and the building of the posterwall for me are a kind of intro that increases my anticipation for the game and not an unnecessary delay.
And in general on animation. Without wanting to start a discussion: In discussions about skins on the forum I found out that there are two kind of people. The ones that say "minimalism is the way" and the others that say "gimme all the bling". I am both. In production software like word processing or for example node editor in kodi I do not want bling. In media: movies, games, concerts and so on I want bling so why not have bling in moviequiz. And by the way. One reason why I love this addon so much is the animation in "The what movie is this" question when screen comes down playing the movie. So it is entertainement not work and I am not in a hurry especially when I am sitting on the couch with friend or cat having pizza and something to drink playing arround with my kodi. So please bring all animation, bling back. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:The "about" and "changelog" menu items will be removed in the next release.
Please leave at least "about". I think moviequiz is different from other "media" addons (like youtube, netflix or amazon prime) as in a way brings its own media with it or is its own media(quiz). And as movies (as one type of media) come with a certain structure intro (my good old friend roaring lion), the movie itself and than the credits. Though most people leave cinema without watching them I am shure no one in the movie-industry is thinking about dropping credits where all people are praised for the work they have done. So please leave "about" because it is the credits of moviequiz and as it is a button it is up to the users if they wants to leave the quiz now or watch the credits. And moviequiz definitely should have credits where people can see who is working on this beautifull software. And the credits of moviequiz by Tommy Winther is a warm hearting story and i can not await to read yours.
Quote:I found that the changelog is actually deprecated according to the wiki.
Shame on me. I did not see this.
Quote:TV Shows Quiz is now working again.
Hey good news. Will try the week after next as I am off home the next days.

By the way do you know Cinemavision ? In short it enables a cinema like preshow for movies and has home automation integrated (for example can dim light). It is actulaly not available for matrix but they have a beta I am trying out. In the past there was "integration" of moviequiz into cinema experience the predecessor of cinemavision. I tried to fiddle around and could start moviequiz within cinemavision but it did not realy work as both addons in a way play in paralell as cinemavision does not know that is has to pause. I asked the devs of cinemavision if they have any idea what I can do and they reacted in a way annoyed (which i totally understand it is a beta and moviequiz never worked in cinemavision). After telling them about your github and a youtube-video I made they became more enthusiastic saying:
Quote:I actually looked at moviequiz the other day and noticed that it was updated. I'll review it further to see if there is something that we can do with it when I get time.
So it is good to have this new thread it shows them that moviequiz is active. Though I don't use cinemavision very often (have no home cinema, just a tv, a nas and a nuc computer. I use it only for "great" movies and to impress friends) I think moviequiz would be a great addition to cinemavision and will help to promote both addons.
Please don't feel pressured when I say that although you said that you don't have much time because of school you should perhaps contact cinemavision because a programmer with your skills surely can advance the development of a solution (if a solution is possible at all) much better than a bungler like me.

Ah and for my youtube video: it does not show the actual version of moviequiz but the version after you finished migration to python 3 before you posted here and opened the new thread. I used it to promote your git in the german kodi forum (got 3 likes hope they downloaded). As I am off home for some days I can not make a new video. So if you want me to tear down the video tell me.
Thank you for reading this very, very long post and again thank you for bringing back moviequiz.
Check GitHub for the latest version. IMDB download is now working, and I also made some menu updates.

(2021-08-28, 13:17)slahrellek Wrote: So if you could bring back my good friend film strip by making it configurable would be awesome.
it's back, for now. How would you feel if it counted down from 3 instead of 5? The way it's set up right now it never makes it to 0 anyway, at least not on my computer.

I'm still mulling over the animations for the posterwall. I think you're right, they do contribute positively to the overall feel of the addon. I'll probably put them back in tomorrow. I definitely belong in the 'minimalism is the way' camp though, LOL Smile

(2021-08-28, 13:17)slahrellek Wrote: One reason why I love this addon so much is the animation in "The what movie is this" question when screen comes down playing the movie.
You may have noticed that when the movie plays, it now takes up the entire vertical space from the top of the screen to the top of the answers section. In the future I think I will want to make it even bigger, perhaps making it full-screen with posters for all answer choices showing on top of whatever movie is playing, and no words (just posters showing the answer choices). Given that that is my goal, I don't think I will be bringing back the animation where the movie comes down from above as it begins to play.

(2021-08-28, 13:17)slahrellek Wrote: Please leave at least "about"...
Ok it's back. Download the latest version and let me know what you think.

I've never used CinemaVision before. When (if) I get some time, I'll check it out and determine if it would be a good fit for an integration with this addon.
Bug fixed: when grabbing a random quote from a particular movie, if there are multiple matches due to movies with the same name, the correct movie quote will be chosen based on the movie year. Download the latest version on GitHub.

This will be my last update for a while.
Just installed this add-on for Matrix on my windows machine and was pleasantly presented with the Movie Quiz working nicely. If you want a little side entertainment while waiting for others, this is bound to make you smile.

Many thanks for this update, it's one of the better extras to have.
This is a great addon hope it keeps going !!
I didn't know about this addon, it's really nice, thanks! Only thing that I would suggest is about the music part; when it asks about the artist of an album it also shows in screen the cover of the album, which most of times includes the name of the artist, making the question pointless, so I wouldn't show it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
Has the rating stoped working? Set it up for only PG movies and getting alot of rated R movies
I'm glad to see that people are using this addon! I haven't had time to work on it for a while but hopefully that will change soon.

(2023-09-15, 01:50)manfeed Wrote: I didn't know about this addon, it's really nice, thanks! Only thing that I would suggest is about the music part; when it asks about the artist of an album it also shows in screen the cover of the album, which most of times includes the name of the artist, making the question pointless, so I wouldn't show it.
That's a great suggestion, thanks for the feedback. I created an issue in github. Hopefully I'll find time to look into this soon.

(2023-12-06, 01:06)martinsvision Wrote: Has the rating stoped working? Set it up for only PG movies and getting alot of rated R movies
Hmmm, I did a small test and the ratings still seem to be working properly for me. I'll try to do a deeper test later. Any additional info you can provide may be helpful.
v2.1.0 released. Download from Github.

Release notes:
The quiz interface has a new look! The answers are now in a horizontal layout, with a cover image for each answer option. The video player can now be toggled full screen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Quiz 2.0 - v19 Matrix0