Req Chromebox replacement / upgrade recommendations
Hi,

We have been running an ASUS Chromebox with LibreElec as our hardware (previously a AppleTV2) for running Kodi to play content from a Synology DS414 NAS, which is due for a possible upgrade soon. Recently we have upgraded our TV and Audio hardware to a LG CX TV and a Samsung Q800T Soundbar.

Due to this upgrade we are looking to take advantage of the 4K and new audio codecs and obviously find that the Chromebox cannot handle these newer formats. Being out of the loop for a while, I am looking for recommendations for a replacement Kodi device for the folllowing requirements:
  • Best support for LG CX and Samsung Q800T and the newer formats supported, including 4K, True Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X etc...
  • Looking for a device that has good Kodi support and will get a good life out of it.
  • Looking for a user friendly device easy to use with the least technical hurdles for the wife and kids
  • Snappy and responsive interface
  • Usage: Just Kodi, dont need any other services or apps. For Kodi, pretty basic - we use Aeon Nox Silvo skin, Movies /TV /Pictures (& Slideshows) via SMB. Currently controlling Kodi via the iOS App. We also use Emby within Kodi. Have GbE cabled connection available.
  • Price - obviously dont want to waste money on something i dont need, but also happy to pay what is required to ensure i can do what we need.
  • Availability - Able to purchase in Australia.

I have tried to look through these forums and wiki pages, but with a newborn and lack of sleep i am struggling to analyse it. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
CoreELEC using either a AMLogic S905X3 (X96 Air is a solid option) box or preferably a S922X box (ODROID N2+ if you can find one, or a Beelink or similar). Basically, install CE and move to internal storage once you're comfortable, making the box a pure Kodi box.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I moved on to an ODROID N2 running CoreELEC, FWIW
N2+ plus CoreElec is the way to go for that list, for sure, with an eMMC module (16Gb is ample, get the little USB writer thing - https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/usb3-0-e...le-writer/ - then it's just a super simple install process direct to the eMMC).

They are in stock again -
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n...yte-ram-2/
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n...yte-ram-2/

That's ordering from Korea.  ETA to Aus is about 10 days right now, per my last order.  Note, you only get a 1 month warranty (and even then would have to ship it back probably).  I have installed 4 all without issues for more than a year now...5th on the way...but just something to factor in.  Given it's all less than $200US, not a huge risk to take as far as it goes.

(I believe 2GB is ample for Kodi but I have bought all 4GB just in case of future alternative uses).

Local suppliers do get them, but there's always delays and stock issues...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox replacement / upgrade recommendations0