ROM zip file support
I can't seem to find an obvious answer to this, but it seems that none of the SNES or NES emulators supported on kodi with RetroPlayer have .zip file support. Picodrive for Megadrive doesn't officially state it supports zips, however if I manually edit the addon.xml for picodrive and add zip as a supported format, then I can launch through retroplayer and roms work. I've attempted the same with the SNES and NES emulators but they either fail to launch or crash with zips.

Has anyone got zip file support working for any of the NES/SNES type systems?
Why you use the zip format?
(2021-09-29, 12:23)iskonz Wrote: Why you use the zip format?

Because it's a widely compression format for ROM collections? I gave up with Kodi and moved to libreelec-rr which includes retroarch which works out of the box. point it at the rom collection, index, play.
(2021-09-29, 13:42)domb84 Wrote:
(2021-09-29, 12:23)iskonz Wrote: Why you use the zip format?

Because it's a widely compression format for ROM collections? I gave up with Kodi and moved to libreelec-rr which includes retroarch which works out of the box. point it at the rom collection, index, play.
+1 nice rep
I agree that game playing support from the GUI/Kodi File Manager isn't the best currently. Probably will be a sub-par experience until a library is implemented in Kodi directly.

Game addons like AEL and IAGL play archived games with no issues since they can execute the right play command in code directly.

From the GUI/Kodi File Manager, it's not as straightforward, but you can do it by brining up the context menu and selecting 'Play' from there. You should get a window to choose an emulator when you select Play this way (assuming the format is supported by the addon).

If you have want to do the same thing with a CUE/BIN/ISO or whatever other format games commonly come in, it's slightly more complicated because a lot of those formats are by default video files in Kodi's eyes. To change that, you can edit your advanced settings file to remove specific file formats from video/audio/pictures:
xml:

<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
<remove>.cue|.bin|.img|.iso|.zip</remove>
</videoextensions>
<musicextensions>
<remove>.cue|.zip</remove>
</musicextensions>
<pictureextensions>
<remove>.zip</remove>
</pictureextensions>
</advancedsettings>

After you add this to advancedsettings.xml and restart Kodi, you should be able to again bring up the context menu and select Play that way. The settings above will ensure Kodi doesn't try and play the file as a video or audio file.
Emulators require "VFS support", which is the ability to load ROMs from our virtual filesystem. You can view the status of VFS support here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Game_add-ons#Libretro_cores

VFS support is a libretro API, so all emulator source code needs to be modified to use it. You can see how much of our 140 cores have been ported, and how much work there is to do.

To work around the problem of RetroPlayer not working with zips, unzip the ROM. Raw filesystems work fine with all cores.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ROM zip file support0