Kodi for Seniors / Low tech experience
Hi Everyone,

I am new to kodi and trying to set it up in a specific way. I would like to use it as a front end replacement for a cable box, as well as be able to add other legitimate iptv channels, youtube channels/live streams and online radio streams in a classic grid layout with customizable channel numbers that can be changed if the cable provider changes them. I have found many tutorials on how to set up kodi in other ways, but very few legitimate ways, if any.

I work, live and offer tech support for many seniors and non-tech savvy people who are finding it harder and harder to watch and listen to media. A few years ago our local cable system started offering iptv services. Since then they have discontinued and/or increased the price of legacy products so much that it is hard to justify staying with the older equipment. They have changed the interface to make it more "modern", changed channel numbers, and discontinued services due to customer feedback. 

One question I do have (sorry if this has been asked before), if I am paying for a channel through my cable system, would using an alternate ip stream of the same channel be considered legit? Just to clarify, I am not looking at cord cutting (at least for now), nor looking for illegitimate iptv streams, but just trying to make it easier for some people to access them in a way they are used to.
Yes it should be ok in such cases if the provider of the IPTV is the same as the provider of the cable. But make sure they are the same company, and not someone trying to look like it (the usual caveat emptor comment).

The rule of thumb is to apply common sense - are you getting something from someone who would not legitimately be able to provide it, and does what you are paying for it ring true? A reputable cable provider making the same services available also via the internet (IPTV) would almost certainly be legitimate.

It's more the sources that provide premium stuff for free, provide stuff that shouldn't be available (e.g. new release movies that are still in theatres, at least in pre-covid times when dual release wasn't really a thing) or generally are providing stuff that you wouldn't expect them to be allowed to (commonly stuff like Disney+, Netflix and HBO for examples).

Kodi can have a bit of a learning curve to it, but there is a lot of stuff to help on the wiki (see my sig below for some starting points). As you've already found, there are an unfortunate number of "tutorials" around online that just lead to the dark side of piracy and dodgy sources, so you're already ahead of the game by recognising them for what they are (and they are nothing to do with us, nor something we want). Kodi can do IPTV and online radio via various addons and PVR stuff like IPTVSimple.

We can also help out on this forum if some guidance is needed.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi for Seniors / Low tech experience0