Android TV TCL C725 - KODI - passthrough and surround back decoding does't work
Big Grin 
Hello, everyone,
I've been using Kodi since it was called XBMC on the first Xbox so I'm pretty familiar with the program.
I bought a TCL 55C725 TV with android 11 R last week.
I configured it via optical SPDIF to the SONY STR-DE597P amplifier (very old but still works fine), basically the same configuration as I had with the old Philips 55PUT6101.

After doing all the various configurations I noticed a strange thing; Kodi does not play the surround back audio.
I went crazy trying so many settings on both the TV and Amplifier side, but I couldn't get it to work.

However, I noticed that the surround back works perfectly well from the PC (connected in HDMI to the TV) and also from the PS3 (also connected in HDMI to the TV); therefore 2 devices that pass the audio to the amplifier through the TV SPDIF and not directly to the amplifier.

Then I do a test with the various TV apps and discover that it's most likely not a configuration problem but an application problem.
In fact Amazon Prime Video plays the surround back audio perfectly, as does the TCL TV's native Video app.
On the other hand, Youtube, Disney+ and Netflix (on which I need to do more tests) do not reproduce the surround back audio.

Clearly if I set it to full PCM no problem but the surround sound effect is not as good as Dolby Digital AC3 or DTS.

Searching on the net I saw that this TCL TV is equipped with the RTD2851m CPU which doesn't seem bad.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
Do you know if it's a Kodi app problem (with Realtek\Android R CPU) and we're waiting for a bugfix?
Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

(I apologize for the long message and if I'm in the wrong thread )
I think I've understood that the cases where dolby doesn't work are related to apps, if the app is a system app (natively installed) dolby works, but if it's an app installed later from the play store then it doesn't work.

Have you ever had a similar case with an android box or an android 11 R TV with a Realtek chip?
Do you have an update on that case? Does the app support HDR10 and 4k on that TV? I heard that Kodi is locked to 1080p at some 4k TVs.
(2021-11-05, 10:46)H5KY Wrote: Do you have an update on that case? Does the app support HDR10 and 4k on that TV? I heard that Kodi is locked to 1080p at some 4k TVs.

After an UPDATE of Disney+, now is fixed surround back decoding in Disney+ app. 
I'm waiting an update of Kodi at 19.3 to try if the problem is fixed, or if I need to wait Kodi 20.0.... Sad

I've not checked if kodi support HDR10 and 4K, but I can try and then I give you an update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV TCL C725 - KODI - passthrough and surround back decoding does't work0