Kodi as a plex server
Hello, i want to run my home videos on all my tvs, but also i would like to acces them from outside my network. So i wanted to know if and how could i set up my kodi as a plex server? I want to use plex because kodi is not supported by samsung and lg smart tvs, it dosent appear as an app in tiensen os and webos, but plex is supported.
I forgat to say, i am running kodi on a raspbery pi 4
Hi,

I would like to do the same.

I have a QNAP NAS where all my media is stored. I have Kodi installed on both of my android boxes at home and access my movies and TV Series no problem.

Now I would like to let my brother (who lives in another country) access the movies and TV Series on my NAS via Kodi. is there a way this can be achieved in a safe way?
Plex addon or Composite addon will let you watch content from Plex, but Kodi is a client and not server so for that you'd still need Plex.
@sachazinken Add the Unofficial App Store – QNAP Club, head down to the ‘HD Station’ category to see the full list of unofficial applications that utilize the QNAP HDMI Port and HDMI Portal software GUI. In that list, you will find several Kodi related appliances (you can also just search for the word ‘Kodi’ in the search bar of the QNAP App centre).

Will check forum rules if I can go further
Or, use a separate RPi3/4 and set up a Plex server: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-plex-server/
If you have a Plex Server already set-up, then check out the below thread. You can use this version of Kodi to import your Plex libraries. Your movies and TV shows will behave just like a regular Kodi set-up, but are also available from anywhere, including outside your home network:-

Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex)

I have tried this version myself quite a while ago and it worked well, including outside my network.
Hope this helps and is what you were hoping to achieve.
I use my pi to make a non smart tv into a smart one, using kodi, so i can strem netflix, hbo go, and youtube on that tv. The issue for me is that i should use another sd card so i can make a plex server, and i should change them so i can get functionality and that is not practical. Even if i could berryboot libreelec and another os on which i would houste my plex server,even that would be dificult because i should boot betwen the 2. I will keep searching for a solution. Thanks for the answers
In esence i want to stream content on one tv and be able to host and watch media from my pi to another tv in my network and outside it. Is there something like that out there or i am just dreaming?
A plex server can easily be run headless on a Pi with a suitable wired network connection and access to whatever drive your media is stored on (either via said network connection or plugged in via USB). So I'd suggest to buy yourself another Pi, stick something like DietPi on it and use that to set yourself up a Plex server (and maybe a few other useful tools and headless services too).

I have an old Pi3 on my network with a 2TB WD MyPassport connected to it which is set up in exactly that way and works fine as a back-up Plex server in parallel to my main one on my NAS.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-09-06, 17:04)fsurfer Wrote: @sachazinken Add the Unofficial App Store – QNAP Club, head down to the ‘HD Station’ category to see the full list of unofficial applications that utilize the QNAP HDMI Port and HDMI Portal software GUI. In that list, you will find several Kodi related appliances (you can also just search for the word ‘Kodi’ in the search bar of the QNAP App centre).

Hi Fsurfer,
Yes, I got that far already and installed Kodi on my NAS. but as far as I can understand it is more to use Kodi on your NAS via HDMI Cable only, unless I'm mistaken. I can't find Kodi on my NAS after installation and found out you can (only) see it if your connect a TV via HDMI with my NAS directly.

What I would like to achieve is give somebody from another network access to my NAS, and view my media via Kodi on my NAS as well. any idea how that can be achieved?
(2021-09-06, 17:12)Dumyat Wrote: If you have a Plex Server already set-up, then check out the below thread. You can use this version of Kodi to import your Plex libraries. Your movies and TV shows will behave just like a regular Kodi set-up, but are also available from anywhere, including outside your home network:-

Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex)

I have tried this version myself quite a while ago and it worked well, including outside my network.
Hope this helps and is what you were hoping to achieve.
Hi Dumyat,

i do have Plex Media Server installed on my NAS. never used it though, but will give it a try. letting Plex and Kodi work together might actually work. will see what I can achieve with this. 

thanks for the info. much appreciated.
(2021-09-07, 09:54)sachazinken Wrote:
(2021-09-06, 17:04)fsurfer Wrote: @sachazinken Add the Unofficial App Store – QNAP Club, head down to the ‘HD Station’ category to see the full list of unofficial applications that utilize the QNAP HDMI Port and HDMI Portal software GUI. In that list, you will find several Kodi related appliances (you can also just search for the word ‘Kodi’ in the search bar of the QNAP App centre).

Hi Fsurfer,
Yes, I got that far already and installed Kodi on my NAS. but as far as I can understand it is more to use Kodi on your NAS via HDMI Cable only, unless I'm mistaken. I can't find Kodi on my NAS after installation and found out you can (only) see it if your connect a TV via HDMI with my NAS directly.

What I would like to achieve is give somebody from another network access to my NAS, and view my media via Kodi on my NAS as well. any idea how that can be achieved?

One way:- I have a QNap and transfer files from my server, so my son can access remotely using myQNAPcloud Link via Leia Light - Qnap and NasCompares helped with setup

Another:- Look for Roberto Jorge on Youtube - How to SETUP a KODI SERVER on a NAS | QNAP ?

Or join the Qnap community

A NAS can be used solely by yourself, or shared with large groups such as families/friends or between colleagues.
(2021-09-07, 10:44)fsurfer Wrote:
(2021-09-07, 09:54)sachazinken Wrote:

Hi Fsurfer,

One way:- I have a QNap and transfer files from my server, so my son can access remotely using myQNAPcloud Link via Leia Light - Qnap and NasCompares helped with setup

Another:- Look for Roberto Jorge on Youtube - How to SETUP a KODI SERVER on a NAS | QNAP ?

Or join the Qnap community

A NAS can be used solely by yourself, or shared with large groups such as families/friends or between colleagues.
Hi fsurfer,

I agree that sharing files and folders can be easily achieved over the QNAP Cloud, done that.

I will now look into the option on making this Kodi Server on my QNAP NAS as kodi gives a lot of extra and relevant info of the media stored on my NAS.

thx for the suggestions much appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi as a plex server0