• 3(current)
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
Does anybody get some 5.1 sound with Netflix, Disney+ or MyCanal application ?

I’m using an usb soundcard, which works fine and streams out 5.1 in Kodi application, but all the other apps seem to be stereo only.
(2021-10-20, 18:32)badsheep Wrote: Does anybody get some 5.1 sound with Netflix, Disney+ or MyCanal application ?

I’m using an usb soundcard, which works fine and streams out 5.1 in Kodi application, but all the other apps seem to be stereo only.

Is the USB sound card outputting Toslink/Coax SPDIF Dolby Digital, or 5.1 analogue ?

My guess is that the best way of getting 5.1 DD out of a lot of these Android-based devices is to use an HDMI audio extractor (though that may only work for DD not DD+ stuff, and DD output may depend on Amazon implementing DD+ to DD conversion - and I don't know if they do that or not). These days most streaming sticks are really only optimised for HDMI audio (not SPDIF).
(2021-10-09, 16:22)lblock Wrote:
(2021-10-09, 15:00)fritsch Wrote: I additionally tested:
- Adjust Refreshrate to match video: Worked
- DTS-HD-HR (2 channel 192 khz transport stream) works as well
- RAW (the Android Packer) fails for me for DTS / AC3, but kodi's IEC works fine: DTS, AC3, DTS-HD-HR, DD+, TrueHD -> PCM -> DD+ (this is sadly again done by FireTV on its own) works as they intended.

For now I like it ...
for passthrough, I needed to go to expert mode and set in system for audio output device : " AudioTrack(IEC),  Kodi IEC packer (recommended) "  setting for it to work

So just to clarify I can get truehd with atmos (5.1.2) pass through on the max without having to do the pcm work round used on the current 4k firestick
(2021-10-21, 09:05)noggin Wrote:
(2021-10-20, 18:32)badsheep Wrote: Does anybody get some 5.1 sound with Netflix, Disney+ or MyCanal application ?

Is the USB sound card outputting Toslink/Coax SPDIF Dolby Digital, or 5.1 analogue ?

My guess is that the best way of getting 5.1 DD out of a lot of these Android-based devices is to use an HDMI audio extractor (though that may only work for DD not DD+ stuff, and DD output may depend on Amazon implementing DD+ to DD conversion - and I don't know if they do that or not). These days most streaming sticks are really only optimised for HDMI audio (not SPDIF).

I agree with you.
I’m using a usb soundcard that does the analogue conversion.
Quote:for passthrough, I needed to go to expert mode and set in system for audio output device : " AudioTrack(IEC),  Kodi IEC packer (recommended) "  setting for it to work

How do you go in this menu ?
I’ve searched everywhere…

ÉDIT

Forget this question, I misunderstood, you are talking about the Kodi menu.
(2021-10-21, 13:32)simanwin Wrote:
(2021-10-09, 16:22)lblock Wrote:
(2021-10-09, 15:00)fritsch Wrote: I additionally tested:
- Adjust Refreshrate to match video: Worked
- DTS-HD-HR (2 channel 192 khz transport stream) works as well
- RAW (the Android Packer) fails for me for DTS / AC3, but kodi's IEC works fine: DTS, AC3, DTS-HD-HR, DD+, TrueHD -> PCM -> DD+ (this is sadly again done by FireTV on its own) works as they intended.

For now I like it ...
for passthrough, I needed to go to expert mode and set in system for audio output device : " AudioTrack(IEC),  Kodi IEC packer (recommended) "  setting for it to work

So just to clarify I can get truehd with atmos (5.1.2) pass through on the max without having to do the pcm work round used on the current 4k firestick
I also have the firestick max and true hd is not listed in kodi passtrough formats in expert mode. How you get true hd passtrough?
(2021-10-22, 23:05)ragico Wrote:
(2021-10-21, 13:32)simanwin Wrote:
(2021-10-09, 16:22)lblock Wrote: for passthrough, I needed to go to expert mode and set in system for audio output device : " AudioTrack(IEC),  Kodi IEC packer (recommended) "  setting for it to work

I also have the firestick max and true hd is not listed in kodi passtrough formats in expert mode. How you get true hd passtrough?

Sorry for the the confusion but I was asking if you can get truehd pass through unlike in the 4k firestick. Was hoping os7 enabled it and fritsch in a previous post inplyed you could.
No. And not DTS-HD-MA.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2021-10-25, 22:21)fritsch Wrote: No. And not DTS-HD-MA.

Thanks for clarification, not worth me getting this as doesn't give me much over my current 4k firestick. Looks like nvidia or odroid n2 is my best bet for pass through.
So I bought a firestick 4k max

Unlucky it has the same bug of 4k non max

Firestick connected to Avr lost match framerate function after switch off/on Tv or after 2/3 start

(Also Kodi lost framerate match )

Will upgrade to shield pro or wait for Android TV 12
(2021-10-25, 22:21)fritsch Wrote: No. And not DTS-HD-MA.

hm, on my 4K (non MAX) i get PLEX client playing direct-play movies with DTS-HD-MA (sound passthrough to a soundbar capable of HD Audio)
Black Friday Sale for the 4K Max Stick began yesterday. $34.99 as I type this. Good time to upgrade.
I gave the 4K Max a try over the weekend due to the Black Friday offer and I am quite pleased with the stick. Compared to the the 4K non Max everything works perfect for me like streaming German DVB-T2 from my Tvheadend server which didn't work for me reliably with the 4K non Max. It was choppy and audio/video was always out of sync. In addition playing back video files from my NAS works also perfect with matching frame rate which is a must for me.

For my use cases the 4K Max is perfect but I am also not dependent on any kind of audio passthrough. Still it would be great if there would be a similar specced Android device with a cleaner and more stripped down UI because apart from Kodi I don't need anything else from the 4K Max.
How are you getting 7.1 channels? I’m only getting 5.1 on any source including DOLBY HD DTS X etc

My configuration

Kodi IEC pass through
Channel 2
Best

Pass through- enabled all.

Please help
(2021-11-22, 10:28)b4cksl4sh Wrote: In addition playing back video files from my NAS works also perfect with matching frame rate which is a must for me.
Does it support both 23.976 and 24.000 frame rates or do both modes switch to the same value of 23.976 like on the older 2018 4K stick?  Also for 59.940 vs. 60.000.  You can test this by manually selecting both display modes and seeing if your TV momentarily loses HDMI signal while switching from 23.976 to 24.000.  If both modes are exactly the same, then you will not see any HDMI signal loss.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max0