• 6(current)
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
DTS passthrough works on this device? how about the trued transcoding? So the pcm 7.1 from Kodi will be transcoded by this device to dd+ 7.1? Or dd+5.1? Can some one test this?
(2021-12-16, 00:43)testphase Wrote: DTS passthrough works on this device? how about the trued transcoding? So the pcm 7.1 from Kodi will be transcoded by this device to dd+ 7.1? Or dd+5.1? Can some one test this?

No DTS and any HD Audio passthrough. Up to DD+(include DD+ Atmos) can be passthrough.
PCM 7.1 from Kodi is transcoded by Fire OS to DD+ 5.1, however it seems there is speaker mapping mismatch. Side channel of Kodi 7.1 is determined as Surround back channel by Fire OS.
I'd recommend set Kodi to 5.1ch and let Kodi downmix 7.1 to 5.1.
(2021-12-16, 04:15)618116 Wrote:
(2021-12-16, 00:43)testphase Wrote: DTS passthrough works on this device? how about the trued transcoding? So the pcm 7.1 from Kodi will be transcoded by this device to dd+ 7.1? Or dd+5.1? Can some one test this?

No DTS and any HD Audio passthrough. Up to DD+(include DD+ Atmos) can be passthrough.
PCM 7.1 from Kodi is transcoded by Fire OS to DD+ 5.1, however it seems there is speaker mapping mismatch. Side channel of Kodi 7.1 is determined as Surround back channel by Fire OS.
I'd recommend set Kodi to 5.1ch and let Kodi downmix 7.1 to 5.1.

Thank you for your reply, then I guess there is no reason to upgrade from 4k stick to max in that regard, I guess I will first root my 4k stick and downgrade to 6.2.7.6. if I broke it I will just buy a shield tv
Is the PCM to DD+ a transparent operation ? (In the case of 5.1 to 5.1 for exemple) or is there any transcodage (ac-3 or so ?)
(2021-12-16, 23:51)badsheep Wrote: Is the PCM to DD+ a transparent operation ? (In the case of 5.1 to 5.1 for exemple) or is there any transcodage (ac-3 or so ?)

What does "transparent operation" mean? As I know DD+ is EAC3 so I think there is always transconding.
In the case of 5.1ch PCM, at least every channel information is not changed, and final output is 5.1ch DD+.
However for 7.1ch signal, Surround back channel is downmixed to both Surround L and R. Note that it is differ to typical 7.1 to 5.1 downmix, which is Surround L = Surround L + Surround Back L.
Yes I understand about the 7.1 to 5.1 operation, thanks !

By « transparent » I mean Lossless. I know ac-3 is a type of mp3, but I don’t know EAC-3. The Wikipedia isn’t clear if the sound is or isn’t compressed.

Edit. After reading more carefuly, the Eac-3 is a compression too but less destructive than the good old ac-3. I don’t know the exact amount of compression. The only Lossless Format from Dolby (equivalent to PCM) is Dolby TrueHD.
(2021-12-17, 08:40)badsheep Wrote: Yes I understand about the 7.1 to 5.1 operation, thanks !

By « transparent » I mean Lossless. I know ac-3 is a type of mp3, but I don’t know EAC-3. The Wikipedia isn’t clear if the sound is or isn’t compressed.

Edit. After reading more carefuly, the Eac-3 is a compression too but less destructive than the good old ac-3. I don’t know the exact amount of compression. The only Lossless Format from Dolby (equivalent to PCM) is Dolby TrueHD.

E-AC3 is Dolby Digital Plus / DD+ - a more modern compression system that delivers higher quality at a given bitrate than DD/AC-3 or allows the same quality at a lower bitrate (which is often how it's used to save bandwidth and reduce costs of distribution)

Transparent and Lossless are not usually used interchangeably in codec land - a lot of lossy audio and video codecs are agreed to be essentially transparent once they get to a certain bitrate, with a certain encoder implementation. (Transparent = can't hear / see a difference, Lossless = there is mathematically no difference)
Yes you’re right I wasn’t precise with the terminology. I was speaking about lossless codecs.
(2021-12-17, 03:34)618116 Wrote:
(2021-12-16, 23:51)badsheep Wrote: Is the PCM to DD+ a transparent operation ? (In the case of 5.1 to 5.1 for exemple) or is there any transcodage (ac-3 or so ?)

What does "transparent operation" mean? As I know DD+ is EAC3 so I think there is always transconding.
In the case of 5.1ch PCM, at least every channel information is not changed, and final output is 5.1ch DD+.
However for 7.1ch signal, Surround back channel is downmixed to both Surround L and R. Note that it is differ to typical 7.1 to 5.1 downmix, which is Surround L = Surround L + Surround Back L.

I got a fire tv stick 4k max to test, it indeed passthrough DTS and dd/dd+ with Atmos not like the fire tv stick 4k, but the multichannel pcm still encoded by the stick as dd+ 2.0, how did you manage to get the dd+5.1? Incase of Kodi doing the encoding truehd 7.1?
(2021-12-18, 23:23)testphase Wrote:
(2021-12-17, 03:34)618116 Wrote:

I got a fire tv stick 4k max to test, it indeed passthrough DTS and dd/dd+ with Atmos not like the fire tv stick 4k, but the multichannel pcm still encoded by the stick as dd+ 2.0, how did you manage to get the dd+5.1? Incase of Kodi doing the encoding truehd 7.1?

I retested and you're right, new MAX can passthrough DTS.
In my case Kodi decode TrueHD 7.1ch to LPCM(Kodi make 7.1 lpcm player in debug log), but final output is DD+ 5.1ch. I checked final output format in my Sonos app.
That is strange, the fire tv Stick max ist connected to the Sony zf9 Soundbar which supports all kinds of passthrough. Would you mind to share your Kodi sound decoding section configuration? currently in order to get 5.1 sounds need to enable the dd transcoding under passthrough section.
Also I am using the maven Dolby vision firetv Kodi, what version are you using?
Hello, how about my case of an external 5.1 usb soundcard ? Do you think it does
Dolby Thrue HD > LPCM > DD+ > decoding of DD+ > PCM of the soundcard ?

Or that it skips all the DD+ coding/decoding process ? That’s what I suppose… and if it’s true it makes a great little lossless installation ?!

EDIT
I was refering to post #85.
(2021-12-19, 20:27)testphase Wrote: That is strange, the fire tv Stick max ist connected to the Sony zf9 Soundbar which supports all kinds of passthrough. Would you mind to share your Kodi sound decoding section configuration? currently in order to get 5.1 sounds need to enable the dd transcoding under passthrough section.
Also I am using the maven Dolby vision firetv Kodi, what version are you using?
I'm using Kodi Packer/5.1ch/Best Match for decoding. For passthrough Raw Packer/AC3, E-AC3, DTS.
Fire TV audio setting is Best Match.
(2021-12-19, 22:50)badsheep Wrote: Hello, how about my case of an external 5.1 usb soundcard ? Do you think it does

Or that it skips all the DD+ coding/decoding process ? That’s what I suppose… and if it’s true it makes a great little lossless installation ?!

EDIT
Do you suppose to connect soundcard to Fire TV directly?
I am not using soundcard, but I doubt Fire TV support external soundcard via USB...
(2021-12-20, 02:51)618116 Wrote:
(2021-12-19, 22:50)badsheep Wrote: Hello, how about my case of an external 5.1 usb soundcard ? Do you think it does

EDIT
Do you suppose to connect soundcard to Fire TV directly?
I am not using soundcard, but I doubt Fire TV support external soundcard via USB...

Yes it works ! With a OTG usb hub for example.
I use a Metric Halo 2882.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max0