v19 Associating extensions with emulators
Hi again.

I'm just using the regular file browser view that comes with Kodi to pick roms. SNES, NES (with the odd file extensions they have) work fine and i can choose an appropriate emulator on the dialog that pops up, but others don't.

Sega Saturn roms are in bin format and Kodi only offers to open them with 5 emulators: Atari, Vectrex (?) and two Gameboys, but i can never get a Saturn emulator option in the dialog.

Other extensions just don't want to open at all, which is obviously something different. Sega Genesis roms are in an "md" extension. For PlayStation, GameCube, etc I have isos and mdf/mds. These say they need to "be played directly from a hard drive or partition". I have them on a samba server since my Kodi client is a pi4. Will this not work?
(2021-09-10, 16:21)rafe101 Wrote: Hi again.

I'm just using the regular file browser view that comes with Kodi to pick roms. SNES, NES (with the odd fine extensions they have) work fine and i can choose an appropriate emulator on the dialog that pops up, but others don't.

Sega Saturn roms are in bin format and Kodi only offers to open them with 5 emulators: Atari, Vectrex (?) and two Gameboys, but i can never get a Saturn emulator option in the dialog.

Other extensions just don't want to open at all, which is obviously something different. Sega Genesis roms are in an "md" extension. For PlayStation, GameCube, etc I have isos and mdf/mds. These say they need to "be played directly from a hard drive or partition". I have them on a samba server since my Kodi client is a pi4. Will this not work?

File formats that are supported for each game addon are listed in the addon info. Here's what Saturn shows:

So your bin file likely should have an associated cue file that will play. You can also just find a different supported format, like CHD, which is preferred now due to the compact size of the files. You can check each of your other examples, but I think most of those are supported.

The need to have files locally is a limitation of some cores unfortunately. I think thats a limitation of the core/addon and not kodi, so you'd have that same limitation if you were using Retroarch. I believe the best workaround is to have the server mounted by the OS at boot, so it appears to look like a normal part of the file system - I think that works in most cases. Here's some general info on the limtiation and the workaround.
The Zach Morris. I have been using your repo for years.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll try different roms for the Saturn and see what i can do about mounting the drive but I've had trouble with NFS on libreelec (across two versions now) ever since i got this rasp pi

(2021-09-10, 21:55)zachmorris Wrote: [quote="rafe101" pid='3059527' dateline='1631283681']
.... the workaround.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Associating extensions with emulators0