v19 Kodi 19 Nvidia Shield pro TV AI upscaling not required
Hi
I recently bought a  Nvidia Shield pro TV and installed Kodi 19.1 and ported my database

My content consists mainly of DVD and Blu-ray backup's at 720p & 1080p I'm starting to build on this with 4K content

I've been unable to get the AI upscaling  to work when playing via Kodi
I get message "upscaling not required" on everything I tried

As a test I picked 1 1080p file in kodi and plex  
The same file Played via Plex allows  AI upscaling  but not in Kodi
I had to disable the resolution switching feature within Plex to get it working
I hate to say it but It was a better picture via plex with AI upscaling on

Is there a similar setting in Kodi?

I have a LG 55 CX TV 
Correct me if I'm wrong The shield outputs at 4k so the TV thinks it getting a 4K signal and therefore not going to use it's built in upscaling?
Have you used the whitelist?
(2021-09-13, 11:09)Hitcher Wrote: Have you used the whitelist?

I read about whitelist elsewhere and got confused with mixed messages 

Is there a up to date guide on what to do?
(2021-09-13, 13:45)GidyFish Wrote:

I had the same issue when I first got my Shield.  Just go to the Whitelist settings in Kodi and only select the 4k resolutions (3840x2160) with all the framerates.  This will force the Shield to upscale everything to 4k and therefore the Ai upscaling will become active.  This is assuming you have your Shield set to 4k in the Shield video options of course!
(2021-09-13, 18:29)Underwurlde Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 13:45)GidyFish Wrote:

I had the same issue when I first got my Shield.  Just go to the Whitelist settings in Kodi and only select the 4k resolutions (3840x2160) with all the framerates.  This will force the Shield to upscale everything to 4k and therefore the Ai upscaling will become active.  This is assuming you have your Shield set to 4k in the Shield video options of course!
Wow , I have had a shield for years and had long since given up trying to upscale my movies until I have just tried this. Thanks very much.
(2021-09-13, 18:29)Underwurlde Wrote:  Just go to the Whitelist settings in Kodi and only select the 4k resolutions (3840x2160) with all the framerates.

I found the Whitelist 
In Kodi Settings > System > Display > Whitelist.
You have to select Expert mode

I selected only 4k resolutions these turned blue everything else is White

Tried playing the same test file as before I still get the message "upscaling not required" when trying to activate upscaling
(2021-09-13, 22:54)GidyFish Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 18:29)Underwurlde Wrote:  Just go to the Whitelist settings in Kodi and only select the 4k resolutions (3840x2160) with all the framerates.

I found the Whitelist 

Tried playing the same test file as before I still get the message "upscaling not required" when trying to activate upscaling
Ok, it sounds like you've set the whitelist correctly.  This was definitely what fixed for me and ontap as per above.  This may be a silly question, but are you sure your Shield is set to a 4k output in the Shield display settings and not 1080p?
(2021-09-13, 23:25)Underwurlde Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 22:54)GidyFish Wrote:

I found the Whitelist 

Ok, it sounds like you've set the whitelist correctly.  This was definitely what fixed for me and ontap as per above.  This may be a silly question, but are you sure your Shield is set to a 4k output in the Shield display settings and not 1080p?

Yes I double checked this The Shield is set to 4k output

Playing a 1080p file TV Info button says it's receiving 1080p signal so I'm assuming the TV is upscaling.
I'm not going to debate if LG is better than Shield at AI Upscaling

I suspect unless you can run the same set up side by side a mortal like myself would not be able tell the difference

I couldn't tell the difference between playing the same 1080p file in Kodi and in plex with AI Upscaling on

I could see a difference  in plex  with switching AI Upscaling on and off and in demo mode
I forgot to check the TV info whilst doing this

The TV also recognises a 4K HDR  and Dolby Vision

As Whitelisting fixed this for you are you saying you can activate AI Upscaling on the Shield when playing a 1080p file in kodi?
(2021-09-14, 11:37)GidyFish Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 23:25)Underwurlde Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 22:54)GidyFish Wrote: I found the Whitelist 

Yes I double checked this The Shield is set to 4k output

Playing a 1080p file TV Info button says it's receiving 1080p signal so I'm assuming the TV is upscaling.
I'm not going to debate if LG is better than Shield at AI Upscaling

I suspect unless you can run the same set up side by side a mortal like myself would not be able tell the difference

I couldn't tell the difference between playing the same 1080p file in Kodi and in plex with AI Upscaling on

I could see a difference  in plex  with switching AI Upscaling on and off and in demo mode
I forgot to check the TV info whilst doing this

The TV also recognises a 4K HDR  and Dolby Vision

As Whitelisting fixed this for you are you saying you can activate AI Upscaling on the Shield when playing a 1080p file in kodi?
Hi Gidyfish,
I have re-tested my system to ensure what I’ve written down below is correct:
My TV = LG 4k OLED
My receiver = 4k Denon
2019 Nvidia Shield connected directly to receiver.
Shield set to 4k/50 in the display settings (I’m based in the UK hence 25/50 frame for UK based streaming apps)
Kodi set to match framerate on start/stop in the Player section.
Test file = 1080p (1920x1080), 23.976fps

Scenario 1:  In Whitelist, all resolutions de-selected apart from 3840x2160, 23.98fps (Kodi rounds up to 2 decimal places)
Result – using the video info setting on my receiver, it reports a 4k, 24fps input.  Shield AI upscaling works and switches between AI and Basic using the top right button with the 3 horizontal bars on the remote (I think I set this up in the Shield settings somewhere)

Scenario 2:  In Whitelist, all resolutions de-selected apart from 1920x1080, 23.98fps.
Result – using the video info setting on my receiver, it reports a 1080p, 24fps input.  Shield AI upscaling does not work.

Scenario 3:  In Whitelist, all resolutions de-selected.  Whitelist section now greyed out.
Result – using the video info setting on my receiver, it reports a 4k, 24fps input.  Shield AI upscaling does work as per scenario 1.

Conclusion:
In my case, the initial problem getting the AI upscaling to work for Kodi was because I originally set it up to whitelist every single resolution and framerate available which had the effect of Kodi/Shield outputting video as per the source file and therefore the TV was doing the upscaling on anything below native 4K rather than the Shield.  Consequence = no AI.
My initial recommendation of just whitelisting just the 4k resolutions, whilst fixing the issue for me, doesn’t actually seem 100% necessary as not using any whitelist at all still enables a 4k output and AI upscaling active.

In your scenario, it seems that whatever you set in the Kodi system / display it still outputs a 1080p signal as per your source file which would explain why the AI upscaling is not working.
As per your original post, you say AI works on Plex.  If your TV is correctly reporting the input signal it receives then this logically should be shown as 4k when using Plex – please check.
Hi
I also had a play last night
Shield Display set to 4K (50 fps From memory)
TV InFO shows 4K signal

In plex similar  Test file = 1080p (1920x1080), 23.976fps
TV InFO shows 4K signal
Ai Upscaling working

In Kodi playing the same TV Test file
all 4K selected in whitelist 
Ai Upscale not active
TV InFO shows 1080p signal : I'm assuming TV is upscaling as picture fills the screen  and looks OK  as stated not possible to accurately compare  kodi and plex picture

Unselected 4k everything in whitelist
Tested with the  same results

Back in settings changed the display gui from 1080p to 4K matching shield

Tested again

This time AI upscaling worked in both basic, enhanced and demo modes
TV InFO shows 4K signal

At this point my tea was about to burn so I stopped and didn't reselect the  4K streams in the whitelist again

I thought the gui settings were just the interface you see didn't think it altered what was being played

Watched a 4K film whilst eating Steak & Kidney pie (Proper one not Tesco)
TV Recognized it as being Dolby Vision
Denon AVR showed Dolby Atmos  Can't remember if I manually changed this  or not

Conclusion:
I don't understand the relationship between gui and whitelist settings and how they affect the file being played 
Clearly the gui setting has an affect on what the Shield is transmitting to the TV via the AVR else I wouldn't have been able to use AI upscaling
(2021-09-15, 10:38)GidyFish Wrote: Hi
I also had a play last night
Shield Display set to 4K (50 fps From memory)
TV InFO shows 4K signal

In plex similar  Test file = 1080p (1920x1080), 23.976fps
TV InFO shows 4K signal
Ai Upscaling working

In Kodi playing the same TV Test file
all 4K selected in whitelist 
Ai Upscale not active
TV InFO shows 1080p signal : I'm assuming TV is upscaling as picture fills the screen  and looks OK  as stated not possible to accurately compare  kodi and plex picture

Unselected 4k everything in whitelist
Tested with the  same results

Back in settings changed the display gui from 1080p to 4K matching shield

Tested again

This time AI upscaling worked in both basic, enhanced and demo modes
TV InFO shows 4K signal

At this point my tea was about to burn so I stopped and didn't reselect the  4K streams in the whitelist again

I thought the gui settings were just the interface you see didn't think it altered what was being played

Watched a 4K film whilst eating Steak & Kidney pie (Proper one not Tesco)
TV Recognized it as being Dolby Vision
Denon AVR showed Dolby Atmos  Can't remember if I manually changed this  or not

Conclusion:
I don't understand the relationship between gui and whitelist settings and how they affect the file being played 
Clearly the gui setting has an affect on what the Shield is transmitting to the TV via the AVR else I wouldn't have been able to use AI upscaling
Ah yes, I also have the GUI res set to 4k.  I assume it defaults to 1080p on a new installation and that I've changed it at some point.  I didn't think to mention this as like you, it didn't seem relevant.  Thinking on it a bit further, perhaps it also stipulates how Kodi outputs a video signal on everything unless a different resolution is stipulated in the whitelist.

Just checked on my system and yes, if GUI set to 1080p it will output a 1080p signal and AI upscaling not available.  So, the answer to you original question is ensure GUI setting is at 3840x2160 and don't use any whitelist.  This will force the Shield/Kodi to output a 4K signal regardless of the source file and therefore AI upscaling will now become active.
Thanx for your help on this

There is another setting that also seems to affect if AI Upscaling is active

Adjust display refresh rate to "On start/stop" together with Delay after change of refresh rate (Setting this too high causes the AVR & TV to go into screen saver mode)

Am I correct in saying if you do use a whitelist Kodi and Shield will not do any transcoding or upscaling and the file will be sent to the TV in it's native resolution / fps?

The TV will then do the upscaling?

If AI upscaling is active on the shield, it sends a 4K, Upscaled signal to the TV

The TV will not do any further upscaling?

I'm not totally sure  if GUI set to 1080p whist playing a 4K files if this  is down scaled I don't think it is I will check later
I'd just let the TV do the upscaling because I found the Shield's AI upscaling horrible - too many jaggies for my liking.
@GidyFish Do not set up any whitelist's in Kodi's settings because if you do and in fact that resolution is played (in this case ex. 4K) Kodi will do the upscaling hence you will see the "upscaling not needed" message (only if you play 4K content tho) so if you want the shield to upscale everything and not get the message dont whitelist any resolutions and Kodi's settings. If you turn it off (AI upscaling) then your TV will upscale everything to its native resolution

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 Nvidia Shield pro TV AI upscaling not required0