Solved SRT Subtitle alignment tag support
Hello,

In the SRT subtitle format, there is a alignment tag {\anX}, that specifies where on the screen the subtitle will be aligned.

Example: 
00:00:05,000 --> 00:00:08,000
{\an8}Top-center-aligned text

(X being a number from 1 to 9: 1 = bottom left, 2 = bottom center, 3 = bottom right; 4 = middle left, 5 = middle center, 6 = middle right; 7 = top left, 8 = top center, 9 = top right).

These tags are helpful in case there are on-screen credits in the video, or burnt-in subtitles in a foreign language.
Right now, KODI just filters these alignment tags out. Many other players (MPC, VLC etc.), however, do support them.

It would be very helpful if support for this tag was included in KODI.
(2021-09-20, 12:39)Hutt Wrote: It would be very helpful if support for this tag was included in KODI.

Actually, there has been a PR for an overhaul in the subtitles department. -> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20010
The bad news for now, it's been developed for Kodi 20, and there is no indication for a backport to Kodi 19.x .
I think the tag is exactly the same as standard ass subs. If that's the case I think it should be already working in the subs rework (unless the position is forced). @CastagnaIT might know better
yes these like {\anX} are forced tags of ASS/SSA format
many times they are abused and placed in SRTs but it is not a big problem

in Kodi 18/19 these are not supported for SRT case,
the good thing is that will be fully supported (also with SRT) in Kodi 20 where we have changed whole subtitles rendering system

it is not possible to make a backport to Kodi 19 because it needs to use the new rendering system

suggest you to wait for Kodi 20 release or use the Kodi 20 nightly builds (when the mentioned above PR will be merged)
Dev-Maintainer of InputStream Adaptive add-on, Netflix add-on ▫ Skills Python, C#, VB.NET and a bit of C++
Thanks!
Unfortunately, I use Kodi mainly on RaspberryPi, and am locked to Kodi18 for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SRT Subtitle alignment tag support0