5100 Music Albums and memory issues
I have been loading my CD library (mainly classical) into Kodi on an Android TV box which has 2GB memory and 16GB ram. At the 5100 album mark I am getting memory insufficient alerts, with Kodi now being 2.2GB in size. Is this to be expected with so many albums? Should I look at a more industrial sized Android Box with more memory?
Have you considered splitting your music source into multiple sources and scanning each source in individually ?  EG, Albums A-D, Albums E-I, etc and then scanning in just the first, followed by the second source when it's finished?  That might be more manageable on something with limited memory.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
The biggest problem is usually Kodi's thumbnail cache. Are you also storing your music files collection onto your Android TV box?
All are flac files and each album has a cover.jpg.  Music is in an attached 2TB USB disc.
Box is 2gb with 8gb ,  so I expanded memory with an 32gb SD card.  Works better now.  Maybe not the quickest but it will do.
I use path substitution to keep my thumbnails on my server via the nfs share. Works for my 2 amazon fire tv things and google chromecast tv dongle. I'm sure there is a more proper way to do it. In my case with linux. the directories for each one is fully wide open permissions. I never bothered to check what user or group they get added as. The same can be done mapping to your 2tb drive if you wanted to.

NOTE - they can't share thumbnail directories. So I have one for each device.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution
Big Grin 
Need more everything. RAM, HDD and probably CPU.

I recently changed from a reasonably quick Android box to a proper HTPC (running Windows 10 only because Ubuntu has multi channel audio configuration issues). Android box had 2GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage, plus huge (16TB) 3.5" HDDs. The HTPC has 32GB of RAM, an infinitely faster multi core processor and the same huge (16TB) 3.5" HDDs (actually, even more now...)

Night and day difference. Especially in browsing the artist or album lists. However, I never got memory issues on the Android box like you do.

FWIW, this is with just over 10,000 albums and around 180,000 mp3/flac files. I am yet to try and add the classical collection into Kodi. That's another 35,000 files and a monumental amount of work with tagging. I spent months during the first Covid lockdowns (day and night) to fix up the 180,000. I would need another set of lockdowns to do the classical, and they are much more difficult to tag correctly. Example: how many different recordings of Mozart's Requiem are there? I have at least 6 of them (but BPO mit HVK mit Wilma Lipp will always be the best...).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5100 Music Albums and memory issues0