Release Cast Kodi: browser extension to send videos to Kodi
Video 
TL;DR Chrome Web Store / Firefox Browser Add-ons

Hi,

I created a browser extension to send videos to Kodi from its browser: Cast Kodi. There is a version for Firefox and I just published the first version for Chrome (it's unlisted for a beta period). For the curious, the source code is on GitHub.

Interesting, thanks! I'm a long time user of Play to kodi by khloke so I'll be happy to give your extension a test and trial too Nod

My first question is, how do I get Cast Kodi to show as a landscape popup like the below image? Mine show a portrait popup, which is not very attractive.

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2021-10-01, 05:50)jmh2002 Wrote: My first question is, how do I get Cast Kodi to show as a landscape popup like the below image? Mine show a portrait popup, which is not very attractive.
This is a screenshot of an old version (I uploaded the wrong picture 😅). In recent versions, there are more actions and the playlist that are displayed in the popup. I had to rearrange the layout and switch to portrait to display everything in. Sorry, but you can't switch to landscape.
Ok, I think I'll continue with Play to Kodi by khloke instead then. Thanks for your work and contribution though Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
A new version of Cast Kodi is available in:
Here are the new features since my previous post.
  • The extension is now translated into Spanish. It's also available in English, French and Slovak. You can translate the extension into your language using Weblate.
  • Support for more than 10 new sites has been added. This brings the number of supported sites to 72:
    • direct links: avi, mkv, mp3, flac, … and torrent / magnet;
    • YouTube, Twitch, Vimeo, SoundCloud as well as Acast, Ace Stream, Apple Podcasts, Ausha, Bigo Live, BitChute, Blog Talk Radio, Castbox, Dailymotion, DevTube, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, ItemFix, Jamendo, Kickstarter, Mastodon, Megaphone, Mixcloud, Odysee, Overcast, PeerTube, Podcast Addict, podCloud, Pokémon TV, Radio, Reddit, Rumble, Steam, Streamable, TikTok, Ultimedia, Uqload, Veoh, VideoPress, VideosHub, VidLii, Vidyard, Viously, Vudeo;
      • 🇧🇪 Belgium: GoPlay, VRT NU, VTM GO;
      • 🇫🇷 France: 20 Minutes, AlloCiné, Arte, Arte Radio, France Inter, Futura Sciences, Gamekult, JV, Konbini, Le Monde, Le Point, L'Internaute, Melty, Ouest-France;
      • 🇩🇪 Germany: ARD Mediathek, Arte, Chaos Computer Club, DMAX, ZDF;
      • 🇬🇷 Greece: StarGR;
      • 🇮🇸 Iceland: Útvarp Saga;
      • 🇮🇷 Iran: آپارات;
      • 🇳🇱 Netherlands: Dumpert;
      • 🇨🇭 Switzerland: Play SRF;
      • 🇬🇧 United Kingdom: Daily Mail, The Guardian;
      • 🇺🇸 USA: Bally Sports, KCAA Radio.
  • The remote control has been enriched with buttons to: stop Kodi, send subtitles and show player process information.Image
  • And for technical changes:
    • The extension has been upgraded to Manifest V3 (MV3).
    • 15 bugs have been fixed. If you find more, come to the GitHub.
Hi, that is interesting project and idea from you.
I would like to ask you if it is possible trough that plugin to cast audio at same time on two different devices.
I mean i have pc with windows os and kodi in one room that play on one amplifier and a nvidia shield in another room with kodi that play on another amplifier and i would like to listen same music with no lag.
Is that possible?
(2023-03-04, 08:27)leone101 Wrote: I would like to ask you if it is possible trough that plugin to cast audio at same time on two different devices.

Cast Kodi can send a video or music to only one Kodi at a time.

Even if the extension could send music to two instances of Kodi, it would not work because Cast Kodi only sends the URL of the music. Each instance of Kodi will parse the URL and then play the music. So the sound will be out of sync.
(2023-03-01, 16:56)regseb Wrote: You can translate the extension into your language using Weblate.

Dutch should be added now.
(2023-03-11, 00:26)Klojum Wrote: Dutch should be added now.

Thanks for the translation. The new version 7.2.0 of Cast Kodi includes Dutch.
hello there, for some reason i cannot connect this addon to kodi on my rasp4. Other addons work and all my other remote apps work so i know the allow control is on, i have tried with http at the begining and also the :8080 at the end, nothing works Sad
(2023-10-30, 22:24)megagprime Wrote: hello there, for some reason i cannot connect this addon to kodi on my rasp4. Other addons work and all my other remote apps work so i know the allow control is on, i have tried with http at the begining and also the :8080 at the end, nothing works

8080 is the default port for Kodi's HTTP server. Cast Kodi uses a WebSocket to connect to Kodi, which defaults to port 9090.
  • If you haven't changed the default port of the WebSocket server, you can simply enter Kodi's IP address: 192.168.100.162
  • If you've changed the port, you'll need to enter the full address. You can see an example by hovering your mouse over the question mark.
(2023-10-30, 23:53)regseb Wrote:
(2023-10-30, 22:24)megagprime Wrote: hello there, for some reason i cannot connect this addon to kodi on my rasp4. Other addons work and all my other remote apps work so i know the allow control is on, i have tried with http at the begining and also the :8080 at the end, nothing works

8080 is the default port for Kodi's HTTP server. Cast Kodi uses a WebSocket to connect to Kodi, which defaults to port 9090.
  • If you haven't changed the default port of the WebSocket server, you can simply enter Kodi's IP address: 192.168.100.162
  • If you've changed the port, you'll need to enter the full address. You can see an example by hovering your mouse over the question mark.

Love this but its a shame you cant cast from all streaming sites ;( is this possible or i make som fault the ip number in my info is not same and 8080 is wrong you wrote 9090? Cheers
Just found this extension for Firefox.
Works fine, but is there any way of continuous casting from youtube? By that, I mean I can add videos to a playlist by clicking on the '+' queue items button. but is there anyway of casting continuously from youtube so it will play the next track automatically without having to add it to the queue, if you see what I mean?
(2023-11-08, 20:21)cabbmaestro Wrote: Love this but its a shame you cant cast from all streaming sites ;( is this possible or i make som fault the ip number in my info is not same and 8080 is wrong you wrote 9090? Cheers

Streaming sites are different, so there's no universal method for retrieving video. You have to deal with each site individually.

For your Kodi connection problem: in Cast Kodi options, what error do you get when you enter the 192.168.100.162 address? And in Kodi, what IP address is displayed in the Settings / System information / Summary page?
(2023-11-08, 21:13)Chalklands Wrote: is there anyway of casting continuously from youtube so it will play the next track automatically without having to add it to the queue, if you see what I mean?

Cast Kodi only sends video links to YouTube plugin of Kodi. Cast Kodi cannot chain videos.

In the YouTube plugin settings, you have the option Autoplay suggested videos. I tested it, but it didn't play the following video. You can ask the question in the extension thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=356934

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cast Kodi: browser extension to send videos to Kodi0