Audio stutter when kodi minimizes
I know this is not "normal use", kind of like the joke where you tell the doc "It hurts when I do this" and the doc says "Don't do that." But if I minimize kodi after about ~11 seconds the audio will start to skip and stutter. Only happens with live TV with PVR-WMC. Goes back to normal after restoring the window. I can minimize while playing local files with Dolby audio and no stutters.

log - https://paste.kodi.tv/tukuruniwe.kodi
(2021-10-02, 02:34)burcs Wrote: I know this is not "normal use", kind of like the joke where you tell the doc "It hurts when I do this" and the doc says "Don't do that." But if I minimize kodi after about ~11 seconds the audio will start to skip and stutter. Only happens with live TV with PVR-WMC. Goes back to normal after restoring the window. I can minimize while playing local files with Dolby audio and no stutters.

log - https://paste.kodi.tv/tukuruniwe.kodi

This is most likely because kodi minimized is treated as a background process and not a priority for your CPU via Windows
(2021-10-02, 02:57)JoshDi Wrote: This is most likely because kodi minimized is treated as a background process and not a priority for your CPU via Windows

Well it's a core i7 so processing power shouldn't be an issue. If I enable bitstreaming in mpc-hc I can play a .wtv file which is the same specs (1080i mpeg2 + Dolby) I can minimize that with no stutter, same with kodi if I browse to the Recorded TV folder and play a recording. It's only live viewing where it happens.
All I can think of is that when kodi is minimized it is affecting the remux job that happens only for live streams.  This job runs in its own thread and the priority of this thread is settable in the config file of serverwmc.  In the debug tab, open the config file and search for RemuxThreadPriority.  It is normally set to the value ThreadPriority.AboveNormal.  Possibly if you set it to the highest priority minimization will leave it alone, so set it to ThreadPriority.Highest, then save the config file and restart serverwmc.  Hopefully it will hurt less when you do this.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2021-10-03, 17:23)krustyreturns Wrote: All I can think of is that when kodi is minimized it is affecting the remux job that happens only for live streams.  This job runs in its own thread and the priority of this thread is settable in the config file of serverwmc.  In the debug tab, open the config file and search for RemuxThreadPriority.  It is normally set to the value ThreadPriority.AboveNormal.  Possibly if you set it to the highest priority minimization will leave it alone, so set it to ThreadPriority.Highest, then save the config file and restart serverwmc.  Hopefully it will hurt less when you do this.

No, no change. I checked task manager and kodi uses 3-6% cpu when focused, but drops to 0-2% when minimized then the stutter starts, so looks like JoshDi was right. It's just so weird that it doesn't happen with recordings using the same specs, and playing a recording minimized kodi mostly stays at 0-1%.

So this is solved since I don't actually need a fix, like the doc says "Don't do that." I rarely need to minimize anyway, just thought with some of the other passthrough/sync issues something in the log may have jumped out for a fix elsewhere.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio stutter when kodi minimizes0