Dolby Vision on TCL 85P725 TV with Shield 2019 Pro
Hi everyone,
Not sure if this is the right forum, but hopefully someone can help me.

I've been struggling with Dolby Vision for a few months now and can't figure it out.
I have 2 different TVs with Shield 2019 and neither are working with DV.

I'll start with my first TV - TCL 85P725
This TV had DV and have enabled DV on the Shield. I have even changed all the cables to HDMI v2.1 8k cables.
Media with DV plays and the TV detects it as DV (indicated by a pop up) but the screen is just blank.
The sound is fine and the Shield is still responsive. Knowing what I know now, I press the middle button, then right, then middle button to stop the playback, then it gets me back to the main menu.
If I turned DV off on the Shield, then it plays fine without DV but the colours are all off.

I am using an Onkyo AVR, but I have tested it with the Shield connected directly to the TV with exactly the same results. Therefore I don't think the issue is with the AVR.

I see many people have had this problem over the years on the forums, and it seem most the suggestions have been to try better quality cables (which I have done).

I have reached out to TCL but have no reply yet. I've yet to post to Nvidia support. Thought I would try here first.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
What version of Kodi are you using?

The official releases will only play DV in an MP4 or MOV container.

There's a patched version that will play DV in an MKV container here.
(2021-10-08, 09:35)Hitcher Wrote: What version of Kodi are you using?

The official releases will only play DV in an MP4 or MOV container.

There's a patched version that will play DV in an MKV container here.
I'm using 19.1.0
Are you sure this can't play DV from MKV? Because while there is no picture on the screen, the TV actually detects it as DV.

I will try the patched version to see.
Thank you
(2021-10-08, 12:07)puunda Wrote: Are you sure this can't play DV from MKV?

100%, we haven't added it yet.
(2021-10-08, 18:53)Hitcher Wrote:
(2021-10-08, 12:07)puunda Wrote: Are you sure this can't play DV from MKV?

100%, we haven't added it yet.

Thank you for clarifying.
I've just checked and all the files I am trying to play are MP4.
I assume DV is supported in mp4 as I am sure the TV actually receives the DV signal, but in my case it's just a totally blank screen.
A full debug log might help.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2021-10-09, 09:39)Hitcher Wrote: A full debug log might help.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum

I have followed the instructions and have uploaded the log.

1. Enabled logging
2. Restarted both Shield and Kodi
3. Played a DV video. The video played (blank screen with audio) for about 5 - 10 seconds, then I stopped it by pressing the middle button (to bring up menu) then right (to move to stop) then middle button.
4. Disabled the logging
5. Uploaded the log file

Hope I have done it correctly

The log file is at
https://paste.kodi.tv/acanodasod

Thanks
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
I have removed all banned addons and have uploaded a clean log.
The link has been updated.

Thank you

https://paste.kodi.tv/acanodasod
Not sure if it's relevant, but I have connected a DV video on USB directly to the TV and used the built in player. That plays fine with DV
A further update.
I installed Kodi on the TV itself and was able to play the DV video fine.
So it's only an issue on the Shield

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Vision on TCL 85P725 TV with Shield 2019 Pro0