Req Why not let KODI eliminate the AV receiver?
How difficult would it be to add the basic functionality of an AV receiver directly into KODI?
Since the audio streams are already being correctly decoded the only thing missing is being able to set delay (distance) and level for the speakers in a surround system. This is especially interesting for guys like me with powered speakers. Simply tap into a decent soundcard and your done. How cool would that be?
Doable ?

Cheers?
(2021-10-14, 16:14)BEOVOX Wrote: basic functionality of an AV receiver
Traditionally the audio video receiver usually offers a radio tuner, a video switch and of course enough hardware routines to convert digital (in whatever container) then amplify to pass analog to your speakers. Fine grain features such as manipulation of streams/channels/output/volume are all part of it's functions, and takes a heavy burden off the source leaving the audio signal untouched; if utilizing a PC with pass-through wasapi.

Kodi already delivers most of the features that might be expected from an AVR utilizing windows in-conjunction with your gfx card routines. It's here that we see some of the issues, with so many versions of graphic engines, it's just a matter of what features are offered in what hardware. I note it appears the NVIDIA gfx card these features are available.
(2021-10-14, 16:14)BEOVOX Wrote: being able to set delay (distance) and level
The work-round would be to tap each speaker with a volume mixer (either software or physical potential resistor) or utilize custom cross over circuitry to the desired effect. Or just move the speaker to adjust.
(2021-10-14, 16:14)BEOVOX Wrote: Simply tap into a decent soundcard and your done. How cool would that be?
Most sound cards have been eclipsed by gfx cards with audio features, re-routing audio to an independent sound card is possible, but I've seen too many issues to make any recommendations. I think Kodi audio handling is already cool.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not let KODI eliminate the AV receiver?0