Problem with Kodi DB since change from MySQL to MariaDB
Hello,

I am running my Kodi DB on a QNAP TS-431P with seperate clients on PCs, etc. all running on Kodi 19.2. I have a problem, since I updated the QNAP OS to Version 5.5 It switched from MySQL to MariaDB 5.5.68. The first effect I noticed was, that I cannot access the series seasons directly. It goes directly to the page you usally see, when you go on "videos". This problem was resolved by reimporting the DB. The problem persisting is, that kodi is a lot slower now. I checked the Logs and somehow there is a problem with resolving the host.
dbiplus::MysqlDatabase::connect replacing configured host 192.168.0.55 with resolved host 192.168.0.55
I do not really get what the problem is, since it is the same ip, but Kodi needs more time opening things than before. I did not change anything in Kodi. I also checked the ports, which stayed the same.

Perhaps someone has an idea.
(2021-10-15, 11:39)Step2334 Wrote: Hello,

I am running my Kodi DB on a QNAP TS-431P with seperate clients on PCs, etc. all running on Kodi 19.2. I have a problem, since I updated the QNAP OS to Version 5.5 It switched from MySQL to MariaDB 5.5.68. The first effect I noticed was, that I cannot access the series seasons directly. It goes directly to the page you usally see, when you go on "videos". This problem was resolved by reimporting the DB. The problem persisting is, that kodi is a lot slower now. I checked the Logs and somehow there is a problem with resolving the host.
dbiplus::MysqlDatabase::connect replacing configured host 192.168.0.55 with resolved host 192.168.0.55
I do not really get what the problem is, since it is the same ip, but Kodi needs more time opening things than before. I did not change anything in Kodi. I also checked the ports, which stayed the same.

The OS upgrade would of reset any changes you might have made to the "/etc/config/my.cnf" and / or any customization of configuration options for the server via phpMyAdmin as part of the upgrade.

I posted some advice to another user looking to backup his MySQL / MariaDB Kodi databases a while back, but also offered some tips I've used to somewhat speed up Kodi's performance on these QNAP NASes with regards database speed. His NAS was a Synology, but the optimizations mentioned will work just as well (or just as poorly) irrespective of NAS branding. You can read the thread HERE.

Remember also, that an OS upgrade on a NAS device is no different to an OS upgrade on a regular PC. Consumer-based NAS devices are essentially 'PCs' with the focus on storage capacity rather than performance. So OS upgrades, even those offered via QNAP's own firmware updates are likely to degrade overall performance over time with each new 'feature' added. It might be the case that your NAS is simply not up to the extra load the new OS is putting on it, and thus your database performance is also suffering. Either way, read through the (linked) thread, and see if anything I posted there is of any help to you.

Best of luck.

Smile

Dan / Gib.
(2021-10-15, 19:21)gibxxi Wrote:
(2021-10-15, 11:39)Step2334 Wrote: Hello,

The OS upgrade would of reset any changes you might have made to the "/etc/config/my.cnf" and / or any customization of configuration options for the server via phpMyAdmin as part of the upgrade.

I posted some advice to another user looking to backup his MySQL / MariaDB Kodi databases a while back, but also offered some tips I've used to somewhat speed up Kodi's performance on these QNAP NASes with regards database speed. His NAS was a Synology, but the optimizations mentioned will work just as well (or just as poorly) irrespective of NAS branding. You can read the thread HERE.

Remember also, that an OS upgrade on a NAS device is no different to an OS upgrade on a regular PC. Consumer-based NAS devices are essentially 'PCs' with the focus on storage capacity rather than performance. So OS upgrades, even those offered via QNAP's own firmware updates are likely to degrade overall performance over time with each new 'feature' added. It might be the case that your NAS is simply not up to the extra load the new OS is putting on it, and thus your database performance is also suffering. Either way, read through the (linked) thread, and see if anything I posted there is of any help to you.

Best of luck.

Smile

Dan / Gib.

Thank you Dan!
So I set up my database again from scratch and Kodi per se is running smoothly. But somehow my first problem reappeared. The first few days I was able to access the series and their seasons via last watched. Now, I am just redirected back to the overview you get, when you click on "videos". When I try to access the series via series->click on the specific series, Kodi does not open the season/episode list. It's quite a strange behaviour since I did not alter anything in the database in the meantime. No new video additions, no updates of Kodi or the NAS/Maria DB Software/Versions. The Logs show some problems with 2021-10-22 13:19:24.459 T:11068   ERROR <general>: SQL: Missing result set!  and 2021-10-22 13:18:38.870 T:4376 ERROR <general>: SQL: Missing result set! etc.
This is an issue on every Pc/Android system I use Kodi on.

Here is the Debug Log. Perhaps someone has an idea.
Sometimes a "SQL: Missing result set! error" relates to MySQL/MariaDB  running out of sort buffer. Try increasing sort_buffer_size size in my.cnf see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=357217. If not that then probably some other db server setting is involved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with Kodi DB since change from MySQL to MariaDB0