Android No 4k in Kodi for Sony Bravia A80J
4k test pattern video at the bottom of the article

NB: I am at the office, so I haven't tested this myself.
(2021-11-30, 11:31)Koder123 Wrote:
(2021-11-30, 11:19)B0Besh Wrote:
(2021-11-28, 21:47)Zuikkis Wrote: Eh, no. Read everything above. 1080p60 is just the Kodi GUI. Video layer is 4K.

The message you actually quoted, explains the difference that Sony uses different settings for Kodi and Netflix, for example. You need to go through everything to make sure they are the same. Contrast, brightness, motion settings etc. Only difference you see is coming from there.

I am sorry still not convinced it's displaying 4k. He says "I guess "1920 (1920) x 1080" parts are GUI thread and "3840 (3840) x 2160" actual video player thread"

When I hook up keyboard to TV and hit Z it shows image is downscaled to 1080p60Hz. If I switch to original size in video settings I see only a cutout of video. Why can't I whitelist other resolutions in display settings only 1080p60Hz is shown?

If you check the Kodi Wiki here https://kodi.wiki/view/Player_process_info#Display_Info
From the wiki:
"Screen resolution
Reported resolution to Kodi. Usually the resolution set on the graphics card, and the TV may then further upscale. Also displays the type of Full Screen in use."
Screen resolution is shown as 1080p60Hz when I play 4k content.

Even if I dismiss the video 4k displaying issue I want to be able to switch to 4k GUI since posters are pixelated and use correct refresh rate to have smooth playback. I guess we can agree that this needs fixing. Also displaying the correct screen resolution needs fixing.

Read the posts in this thread. No video is downscaled, Kodi information is wrong. If you don't trust operating systems (Android) debug info then its your loss. 1080p GUI and no refresh rate switch are Android limitations. Upcoming Android(s) versions should support both 4K GUI and refresh rate switching.
Ok, so the lines where it shows unknown it's the video stream? Is there a way for TV to show actual resolution? How do I know it uses correct refresh rate?
I guess we have to wait for the new version, is there any timeline on that?
Thanks
(2021-11-30, 11:56)jjd-uk Wrote: If you need convincing Kodi can output actual 4K then use the test pattern from http://hifi-writer.com/wpblog/?p=4400

Thanks I'll try that
(2021-11-30, 17:57)ponkotsu Wrote: 4k test pattern video at the bottom of the article

NB: I am at the office, so I haven't tested this myself.

For that video, I get the checkerboard pattern on my 55A80J when playing through the Kodi 19.3 app installed on the TV. So Kodi video is outputting 4K.

However, for the jpg file suggested earlier and linked again below, displaying as a picture in Kodi indicates scaling, just like it does on my 1920x1200 monitor.

http://hifi-writer.com/wpblog/?p=4400

The A80J Media Player gives the same results as Kodi for the video, but it displays the jpg without scaling.

So it would seem that Kodi outputs 4K video as 4K without scaling to 1080p but does scale 4K pictures to that lower resolution. The TV's Media Player OTOH gets them both right.
(2021-12-24, 19:41)crawfish Wrote: So it would seem that Kodi outputs 4K video as 4K without scaling to 1080p but does scale 4K pictures to that lower resolution. The TV's Media Player OTOH gets them both right.

I have been doing the tests suggested in this thread on my TCL Android TV and can verify the above.

The jpg looks ok when loaded from the TV's media player but not from Kodi.

I have created a 5 sec video from the image, you can download it here: https://mega.nz/file/zrZxTISb#7QLEf2x84S...57SdgGY6gE

When tested, both the TV's media player and Kodi output in 4k (pixels are distinguishable), while Kodi debug still shows Sizing: (3840,2160)-> (1920,1080)
Thanks I tried it to and can confirm that my tcl outputs 4K video as 4K without scaling
but when I  tried that video https://mega.nz/file/ioRVgaaL#H5yDvLwS05...rj0lbk5MzY
it's give me weird result can try it on your tv
It looks a bit weird on mine as well. Artifacts close to the right side of the screen.
Hi there! Any news on this?  I have bought an A80J and I do not find too much info about this issues. Thanks.
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
(2023-06-19, 17:55)javiertoti Wrote: Hi there! Any news on this?  I have bought an A80J and I do not find too much info about this issues. Thanks.

it would be interesting if you are experiencing the 'same' issue that was reported here 1 year, 7 months, 30 days ago with the last comment 1 year, 5 months, 7 days ago

since then kodi has gone from 19.2 to 20.1 with a lot of changes - https://kodi.wiki/view/Releases

so if you are still running the version as the original report i would suggest try updating as nobody would backport to 19.2

if you are not then i suggest providing your Debug Log so the issue can be re-addressed
@jepsizofye I have made a fresh install of KODI today, so I expect to have KODI Nexus. The screen resolution is locked like says the OP, is it a issue with Android TVS? surely.  I have to check as well if it downscales or not.

I also have KODI in a FireTV device, in that I can select the screen resolution to 4k (3840,2160 60hz) between several options. I am not able to do that in KODI under Google TV 10 in the own Sony A80J. Is it something that KODI developers can fix or the ball is Sony's field?
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
What issue? screen resolution is the GUI resolution and that limited to 1080p by GoogleTV (changed to 4K in Android 12 I think), however video playback should be 4K.

See Post#24 in this thread.
I've read the full thread before posting asking for some news but I also found discrepancies. Thanks.
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
I would like to chime in to this old thread and at least on Sony TV, no settings tinkering can save the 4k picture quality. It is outright BAD. Now this is not a Kodi issue, I know. It is a Sony issue, but if I use (tested with Chaos Walking) external uhd player (Panasonic DP-UB450 in my case), the picture quality is nothing short of phenomenal. When I watch the same movie (full mkv rip) using external CoreELEC box, the picture quality is just as good as if I'm using uhd player. Now if I mount the hdd to my Sony xh9096 tv and use the Sony video player, again, the picture quality is unaffected (only a little overblown as the sony app cranks up all contrast etc. settings). But if I play this same file using Kodi on this tv, the picture is very very soft and also introduces stuttering. And no matter how much one tinkers with the settings, this can't be changed. So, Kodi is not working properly on Sony Android TV, but like I said, it is because of os app restrictions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No 4k in Kodi for Sony Bravia A80J0